Considering a Digital Perm...Opinions?

im considering this too, for like the past 4 months! told my friend ill do it by May, and it's already June!! i want to do it but am so scared since ive never permed my hair before in my whole life! but ill go for it for sure, i just have to push myself tofinally make the appt.......
let us know what you decide and if you decide to go for it, show us some pics! =)

i'm DEFINITELY doing it...i've just got to let my hair to grow a bit longer. it's currently right where the bottom of my bra hits me on my back but i want it to get just a bit longer. much better to have too much hair prior to perming and having them trim it down than to have too little and have it coming out weird. hopefully my patience pays off...

thanks for all the input, ladies. i'll definitely post some pics the day i get the perm done!! =]

My cousin had this done, her hair turned out great, its growing out and it still looks good. She had most of the waves trimmed off ever since, but its cute now because its straight, and the ends kinda just curl out, im sure if you dont like it after it grows out you can just cut off the waves all together once it grows out! Itll look cute on you, I think you should do it!!

You're a beauty, Lesparkley!

I've been thinking of getting a digital perm but I can't find a Korean hair salon in my area. Goodluck on getting yours done, though. I'm sure it'll come out great :smile:

I've done it and love it! It's been 4 months and I still have waves. I wanted to grow my hair out and this was a perfect solution. Honestly, it is sooooo low maintenance and definitely beats using a curling iron every day. And another plus is when I want to straighten it, it straightens with perfect volume.
Since it's quite warm outside these days, I just put a little curling gel in my hair and let it dry naturally. And people always comment how nice my hair looks everyday!

Seriously, you will be so happy with it!

definitely! the salon i go to is hills beauty on western off near melrose. it's a korean salon but there are a lot of stylists and many of them speak some english. just make sure you DO NOT GO ON A WEEKEND as they are SUPER busy and will most likely be doing hair/makeup/nails for 4 different bridal parties. i think they will probably recommend you let your straightened hair grow out before you try the digital perm as this is exactly what they told me. =]

if you decide to do it, jenny yoon is my stylist and also happens to be the owner of the salon. i highly recommend that she oversees your perm; her english isn't very good but she really knows what she's doing and i don't think there will be much to explain (besides, i think the stylist she's training speaks fluent english and should be able to walk you through anything that needs clarifying). if you can't get her, ask for rachael as she's also very good (and always has the funkiest outfits!)

hope that helps!

You are the best...I may have to wait...but really appreciate the rec. I can't wait to see your pics once you get it done!!

I've wanted to do this for so LONG! I don't have Asian hair but I have thick straight Indian hair so it's pretty close. There's tons of salons around my area but I don't know where to do. I'm scared if I walk to the wrong one then I'll be screwed. If anyone can recommend somewhere in, Flushing, Queens, NYC, I'd love to hear it!

Post pics lesparkley!!

This is the same as a ceramic or ionic perm right?

I've done those two and they're the best things ever. My hair doesn't take on regular perm well - I had a regular perm last Dec that straightened after less than 7 days with proper maintenance, huge waste of $200. I had an ionic perm right after and I still have waves even though my layers are growing out! It doesn't smell as bad as a regular perm either.

I did the ceramic perm maybe 5 years ago, and had the same low maintenance long lasting curls that turn to waves later on. It's supposed to be an older version of the ionic perm.

I don't really like the results of digital perms. It always looks a little fried for some reason. I know it's supposed to be better and less damaging, but the way it ends up and the style always looks so frizzy

I don't really like the results of digital perms. It always looks a little fried for some reason. I know it's supposed to be better and less damaging, but the way it ends up and the style always looks so frizzy

That's odd, because whenever I see people with digital perms (it's HUGE in Korea) the hair looks so pretty and smooth. I have not seen someone with frizzy looking digital perms. I know people with normal perms might have frizzy hair, but not digital..

^ I think it really depends on the texture of your hair. Also, it varies by the type of hair cut you have. My friend and I both went to the same salon to get our perms done but the results were completely different. If you have a lot of layers going from the side all the way around, i would really recommend that you let your hair grow out because once the perm sets in.... it can look really messy (that's what happened to my friend- the middle part would poof up more than the bottom).