• Neither

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • Coach

Votes: 44 74.6%
  • Michael Kors

Votes: 9 15.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I am a Coach girl. They are easier to find near me. I have a MK bag that I love. The quality is great, it is well designed, and has more pockets than any of my Coach bags. I don't like the trend lately of MK to have huge logos on everything, but it seems the newer items have smaller logos. I hate the smell of MK stores and the pushiness of the SAs. Where I live, I still see more Coach because we have an outlet nearby, but no MK outlet. I think the collections of Coach for the last few years have been more elevated than anything from standard Michael Kors, not Michael Kors collection, which I never see anywhere.

I haven't purchased a new bag (that I've kept) from either designer in the last 2 years.
I Know about the smell in those stores.....always reminds me of my elderly MIL's perfume

I own a few MK bags and wallets (buy Dooney mostly) and love the colors, construction and styles that are timeless. I do always peruse the Coach section in whatever dept store I’m in because the leathers are so pretty, but the ones I choose never have feet - which is a prerequisite. Why do so many lack feet?? Additionally, I’ve never seen more that 2-3 shoppers in the MK store I patronize, but that may just be due to time of day/night. I had much rather store shop MK than order online if possible because my shipping experience with them is the pits.

I am a Coach girl. They are easier to find near me. I have a MK bag that I love. The quality is great, it is well designed, and has more pockets than any of my Coach bags. I don't like the trend lately of MK to have huge logos on everything, but it seems the newer items have smaller logos. I hate the smell of MK stores and the pushiness of the SAs. Where I live, I still see more Coach because we have an outlet nearby, but no MK outlet. I think the collections of Coach for the last few years have been more elevated than anything from standard Michael Kors, not Michael Kors collection, which I never see anywhere.

I haven't purchased a new bag (that I've kept) from either designer in the last 2 years.

I Know about the smell in those stores.....always reminds me of my elderly MIL's perfume

Ok...now I'm tempted to go to the MK outlet to see if it smells :lol: Seriously, I passed by it on the way to the Coach outlet (and Saks Off 5th, etc.) the other day, and there were some nice bags in the window, so I may actually go in there sometime soon.

I honestly think both Coach and MK carry nice bags . A purse does not have to be over 2k to be considered "good looking " or a status symbol . I live near outlets that have Coach , MK , and Kate Spade . They all seem to get a crowd on the weekends and during the week the usual local shoppers . I personally never owned a MK bag . I did own some Coach bags in the past . I thought the quality was pretty good . I do still purchase Coach but mainly shoes . And just starting purchasing shoes by MK and have my eye on a really cute sweat shirt ! Buy what you love and makes you happy . :smile:

As a Coach fanatic who works for Michael Kors, I get asked this question a lot!

On a personal level, I feel that Coach is the better, more luxurious brand. The quality of leather that is used and the designs are far superior than those used by Kors. But you pay for that, especially in the 1941 and runways collections. I feel that the cost is worth the longevity of the designs( I have the ace satchel from fall runway and I STILL get so many complements on it). And it reaches across age groups, for instance, a bag that I carry as a 23 year old is something that my 58 year old mother would love( and she steals them too!)

I also feel I have an inside knowledge of Kors and their business practices. I feel that the company tries to hard to be both “on trend” and “luxury/elevated” and missing the mark on both. When a typical price is anywhere from $298-$398, the materials are not going to be top quality or hold up over time. If an individual likes to change bags with each season, perhaps the price point is satisfactory, but I feel that it would just be better to save for a more classic bag.

On a whole other note! I do LOVE MK clothing. They hold up over time and wash really well!

As you can tell by my name, I prefer Coach, especially the 1941 line. I have had several MK bags, but only kept one, their optic white saffiano Greenwich drawstring. Their quality is just not there in comparison, not to mention, you can get MK bags on the super cheap with the amount of sales they have. I don't think I've ever paid more than half price of a bag for them.

If you are to compare apples to apples you need to compare Michael Kors collection to Coach 1941. The quality is comparable except that Michael Kors offers full exotic bags whereas Coach only offers exotic handles. Coach is also sporty whereas many of the collection bags tend to be a bit more sophisticated. Moreover Coach is produced in the Far East for the most part whereas many MK collection bags and RTW items are produced in Italy.

I work for Michael Kors and I don’t buy it anymore. The quality of their products is crap. Coach double reinforces their stitching and Michael Kors doesn’t. I am now a Coach convert.

PS Michael Kors also underpays and treats their employees like crap while Coach pays their people a living wage. We have a high turnover at our store because no one can afford to live on what they pay us. I’m looking for a new job because I don’t respect this company anymore.

I noticed this thread a few days ago, then today I came across something that would make a contribution to it from another perspective.....from those of us who love the older detained leather charms Coach use to produce. Here is an example of what they produce now vs MK. Why can MK still produce detailed pieces like this, but Coach can't / won't? (Photos borrowed from eBay)

987CB650-EEE4-4BF9-8A11-D6FCFBF895F5.jpeg 20328E79-469B-4A59-AE7D-8F13F63521BA.jpeg

Reactions: Lilybarb
The second one is lovely & tho I know some enjoy the animal charms, personally they aren’t for me. I do love what charms I own, but fear charms must have gone out of fashion totally since it is so difficult to find pretty ones now, particularly pretty leather ones. Like everything else in fashion it will come back around...eventually.

Reactions: Suzanne B.
I noticed this thread a few days ago, then today I came across something that would make a contribution to it from another perspective.....from those of us who love the older detained leather charms Coach use to produce. Here is an example of what they produce now vs MK. Why can MK still produce detailed pieces like this, but Coach can't / won't? (Photos borrowed from eBay)

View attachment 4273827 View attachment 4273828
What a comparison! Not all Coach charms are terrible these days but a lot of them are as flat and simple as that one. When Coach started making charms without much detail, they just made them bigger and raised the prices.