Coach may be going Insane...

I think the video is meant to subtly mock us and the idea of a handbag as status symbol. It's like the philosophy some creeps use in trying to pick up women by "negging" them. Sometimes it works, sadly.

I am figuring the hermes ad is just some fake thing on youtube.

But it's on their official youtube page. Is it supposed to be so artistic we just can't see it, because I don't know, we're not meant to get it? I mean I can understand avantgarde in one way or another but this is just awkward. Especially for a brand that is Hermes and their price point. :shrugs:

Both these videos are wack-a-doo. Seems like they're trying too hard to push the envelope, instead of marketing to actual buyers. I like the Brooklyn, but I don't want someone coming up to me and asking if my bag is the one in this video... how embarrassing.

On the other hand... I'd rather see these masks than the eyebrowless zombies that were in their runway show. :shocked:

I like it, I'm always happy to see something different. It's not so distracting that the bags disappear, and it's fun and interesting - advertising is supposed to be a creative field, no reason to stick to normal things people are used to seeing, imo. It also reminds me a bit of my SA saying that one of Vevers' inspirations is The Shining - I'm not sure that's related here, but it does sound like a recipe for some off-the-wall stuff. I wouldn't read too much into the ad, I think any meaning to it lies in the creator's design influences and taste, rather than there being a message to it.

Last edited:
I know the ad is subjective, but I personally feel like I've seen it before. I don't think it's fresh. It may be new/different for Coach (for sure, it is).

Family Force 5 did a music video in 2008 and it reminds me of it. Coach just added more colors and slightly better music. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24hR6j-x4fU
I agree, not a very new concept overall. Just the brand doing something we normally don't see from them, which for me adds some novelty and interest to it.

This would have been a fabulous ad for their new bags if they had just shown normal people and not giant animal heads!!!

I was so shocked by the masks I didn't even look at the bags!

Hmmm....I don't get it. If I'm carrying a Coach bag that I'm proud of, I'm def not going to have a stupid mask over my face. I think they're reaching wayyyyy to far to stand out, and they shouldn't feel the need to. The bags are beautiful all on their own.

I lol-ed. It looks ridiculous, but at least they got some shots of the bags in there. Still not as ridiculous as this video from Hermès: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo0GQ5zlk5M So luxe and aspirational :lol:

Reminds me of an improv acting class

The Coach one would have been better if they just didnt show the heads of the women, shoot them from the neck down - I just kept looking at the masks and never the bags, but the opening shot of the shoes I kept looking at them trying to decide if I needed them