Cleaning/Caring for Chanel PATENT Leather.

There were a few threads about this topic but it has been a few years so I think I would like to start a new thread, and try to find a way to finally resolve this problem.
I got this beautiful Chanel patent leather bag a while ago. When I received this bag, I have noticed - the leather is sticky so I just let it aired out and hope it would getting better but it didn’t. I have carried handful time but it started bothering me when I touch it. It has beautiful shine and the color is good.

I read the previous posts and I have tried a few methods.

1. Vesaline method: I tested a few spots before I applied to the whole bag. Wiped off with dry clothes a few times. Let it sit and dry for a few days. NOTHING has changed! Still sticky :sad:.

2. Leather cleaning wipes: I have a few leather wipes left so I used one on it. Noted the bag is not dirt and has no stains. Wipe the whole bag and dry it with micro fiber clothes several times. Let it sit and dry for a few days. NOTHING has changed! Still sticky :confused1:

3. One of the members @Lola24 suggested using Bick-1 leather cleanser that worked on her bag. I did some research and it only says work on finished leather in general and not specific on patent leather. I am so afraid to use it ….

4. There is this one Saphir Venus Rife Pateny Leather Cleaner for patent leather but it does not say to get rid of stickiness.

I haven’t tried the vinegar or alcohol methods. I tried to avoid the aggressive solutions so I don’t damage the bag.

I am hoping to get some help that really works on getting rid of the stickiness.

Thank you,

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Sad
Reactions: A bottle of Red
There were a few threads about this topic but it has been a few years so I think I would like to start a new thread, and try to find a way to finally resolve this problem.
I got this beautiful Chanel patent leather bag a while ago. When I received this bag, I have noticed - the leather is sticky so I just let it aired out and hope it would getting better but it didn’t. I have carried handful time but it started bothering me when I touch it. It has beautiful shine and the color is good.

1. Vesaline method: I tested a few spots before I applied to the whole bag. Wiped off with dry clothes a few times. Let it sit and dry for a few days. NOTHING has changed! Still sticky :sad:.

2. Leather cleaning wipes: I have a few leather wipes left so I used one on it. Noted the bag is not dirt and has no stains. Wipe the whole bag and dry it with micro fiber clothes several times. Let it sit and dry for a few days. NOTHING has changed! Still sticky :confused1:

3. One of the members @Lola24 suggested using Bick-1 leather cleanser that worked on her bag. I did some research and it only says work on finished leather in general and not specific on patent leather. I am so afraid to use it ….

4. There is this one Saphir Venus Rife Pateny Leather Cleaner for patent leather but it does not say to get rid of stickiness.

I haven’t tried the vinegar or alcohol methods. I tried to avoid the aggressive solutions so I don’t damage the bag.

I am hoping to get some help that really works on getting rid of the stickiness.

Thank you,
Definitely do not use alcohol. Patent leather ages poorly. The top glue layer degrades and became sticky. There is not much you can do about it in my opinion. Hope other people have good advice.

Thank you,
I have a black patent WOC and when I noticed some stickiness I used a baby wipe and rubbed it gently in circular motions I think I did it for a few days and it went away.

Whatever you try, do it on a hidden area first just in case it makes things worse
Correct and yes let it dry leave it out all night. Also I used water based one (Coterie at that time)
Yes I know. I always start from the bottom first. I am thinking of try on the dehumidifier next. This is not a quick process though - at least 1 week to 10 days to absorb the moist from the bag if it ever works.

• Insightful
Reactions: A bottle of Red
My patent dark blue Jumbo is ~15yo. Some parts of its enamel gloss is rubbed off. Damage is irreversible unfortunately. I use a damp cloth with a few drops of alcohol to polish it from time to time. And I swear never to get another patent item :sad:

My patent dark blue Jumbo is ~15yo. Some parts of its enamel gloss is rubbed off. Damage is irreversible unfortunately. I use a damp cloth with a few drops of alcohol to polish it from time to time. And I swear never to get another patent item :sad:
The problem is the new patent bags are so pretty and shiny. I also have another vintage Chanel mini bag. It is still in perfect condition. I guess it all depends on how the bag ages and storage condition.

Reactions: AlexandriaThen