Scarves Cleaning and Caring for Hermès Scarves

I am both chuckling at the imagery and marveling at people's ingenuity! Thank you! Now I realize why I have 2 salad spinners and couldn't give up one. (Rewriting history for myself here. I just really liked both since one was glass and the other metal lol.)
:lol: No problem! You just re-work the narrative to make it all justified! Maybe I need a second salad spinner...one for yarn and larger one for scarves and hand woven??? :roflmfao:

PS- I'm kidding. I really don't think I can fit any more equipment in the house. I have 1 floor loom 36" wide, 5 rigid heddle looms from 8"-24" wide, 2 tapestry looms, a spinning wheel + spare parts, carding brushes for mixing my own wool colors together to spin, roving for spinning stashed and we do not speak of how much....a 20+ year yarn stash that is Stash Amount Beyond Life Expectancy (STABLE) that he (finally) after 12 years together has "discovered" :roflmfao: and nearly fell over, a full selection of Procion acid dyes, silk for hand dyeing and 3 Turkish spindles.

Me: (digging for a particular ball of yarn and emptying an entire basket on to the bed in the guest room) I know it had one open here somewhere. It's discontinued yarn! I'd never get rid of it!
Him: (suddenly seeing my mess as I waded through the sea of yarn) Is every container in this room filled with yarn???? :wtf:
Me: ........
Me:.......
Me: Yes. I have been weaving since 1999. I have a lot of yarn.
Him: :wtf: :faint: (starts taking panoramic pictures to shame me to family later)
Me: I didn't invite you in here Mr Vampire! I knew I should have shut the door! Just close your eyes and walk away. I'll have it put away in 15 minutes!
Him: But now I KNOW it's in here!
Me: :roflmfao:

That’s brilliant!!! Exactly, no actual fabric manipulation, just physics :tup:
Yes!!!!! I really don't actually like rolling stuff in towels, but that does work in a pinch just fine if you don't have a salad spinner. I love my salad spinner because I have a chunk of hand washable clothes these days. :rolleyes:

If I have a scarf that is wrinkled from knotting or wearing, I will give it a light steam press using a steam iron with a piece of silk organza as a press cloth. I hover the iron above the scarf and don't actually touch it to the silk. The organza is there is protect the scarf from anything (such as scale or iron stuff) that might come out of the iron along with the steam. I then leave the scarf to dry in place on the ironing board. The hems stay nice and plump with this method.

Silk organza is relatively inexpensive for silk. One yard can be cut up into whatever size you like and will last a long time. I like silk organza for a press cloth because you can more or less see through it, a big plus when you are pressing or ironing.
I do like the idea of organza. You need the very fine weave so you don't leave press marks on the material underneath (in this case- the H scarves).

Oh gosh — yes. They are old, but finding Hermes leather gloves with a silk lining and in my size (enormous Eastern European peasant hands here) is really hard. Of course, that load was washed on high and had a generous amount of OcyClean in it.

Thankfully, I do keep a supply of Hermes saddle oil on hand (since, you know, saddles!), and I put it on generously. I actually think it may have been fine without it, but I wasn’t about to risk it.

My husband did also manage to wash an Hermes silk tie once. It was fine after some ironing.

Yes- I too was surprised how I was able to just manhandle the thing back in to position with the iron and the starch. But man that little wadded up ball of red, blue, and green silk was 😭 when I saw it.

Last edited:
:lol: No problem! You just re-work the narrative to make it all justified! Maybe I need a second salad spinner...one for yarn and larger one for scarves and hand woven??? :roflmfao:

PS- I'm kidding. I really don't think I can fit any more equipment in the house. I have 1 floor loom 36" wide, 5 rigid heddle looms from 8"-24" wide, 2 tapestry looms, a spinning wheel + spare parts, carding brushes for mixing my own wool colors together to spin, roving for spinning stashed and we do not speak of how much....a 20+ year yarn stash that is Stash Amount Beyond Life Expectancy (STABLE) that he (finally) after 12 years together has "discovered" :roflmfao: and nearly fell over, a full selection of Procion acid dyes, silk for hand dyeing and 3 Turkish spindles.

Me: (digging for a particular ball of yarn and emptying an entire basket on to the bed in the guest room) I know it had one open here somewhere. It's discontinued yarn! I'd never get rid of it!
Him: (suddenly seeing my mess as I waded through the sea of yarn) Is every container in this room filled with yarn???? :wtf:
Me: ........
Me:.......
Me: Yes. I have been weaving since 1999. I have a lot of yarn.
Him: :wtf: :faint: (starts taking panoramic pictures to shame me to family later)
Me: I didn't invite you in here Mr Vampire! I knew I should have shut the door! Just close your eyes and walk away. I'll have it put away in 15 minutes!
Him: But now I KNOW it's in here!
Me: :roflmfao:

Yes!!!!! I really don't actually like rolling stuff in towels, but that does work in a pinch just fine if you don't have a salad spinner. I love my salad spinner because I have a chunk of hand washable clothes these days. :rolleyes:

I do like the idea of organza. You need the very fine weave so you don't leave press marks on the material underneath (in this case- the H scarves).

Yes- I too was surprised how I was able to just manhandle the thing back in to position with the iron and the starch. But man that little wadded up ball of red, blue, and green silk was 😭 when I saw it.
It never ceases to amaze me how clueless the DH’s can be sometimes; ‘are there scarves in all of those boxes?’ Ummm, yeah 🙄

For oily stains: I never have baby powder, so I would sprinkle the scarf with salt.

Avert your eyes if you have a delicate disposition, but I have found that the best treatment for oil-based stains is dishwasher detergent. A small drop and a quick dab. I have even hand soap in a restaurant bathroom in a pinch. I travel a lot for work (and did even more so before Covid), so various food-, wine-, and coffee-stains were fact of life.

I can’t speak to cashmeres as this peasant is deathly allergic…

Alternatively, Ecover Delicate neat worked in, then rinsed-off in tepid water on all-but-spoiled vintage stained silks also works. In fact, it was the only thing that worked on (non-H) late '60s silk scarf. I don't have a dishwasher (besides DH that is :biggrin: ).

The reason why I know one can put dip dyes in the washing machine (wool/delicate 20) is because I literally had to (Marwari, silver-grey background '14(?)). I actually find regular silks, twills and flats, much easier to wash and maintain.

• Insightful
Reactions: bunnycat and Nomad
Does anyone know what year the H dyes changed to the so-called modern dyes? I purchased my oldest H scarf in 1985 and I’ve probably washed it 25-30 times. It looks fine to me. It has a some white but burgundy border as well.

Does anyone know what year the H dyes changed to the so-called modern dyes? I purchased my oldest H scarf in 1985 and I’ve probably washed it 25-30 times. It looks fine to me. It has a some white but burgundy border as well.

I think scares from the 80s are probably fine. It's stuff from the 70s and before that I would worry more about and urge (lots of) caution. But then again, I did have 2 red based ones (one modern pocket square from 2013) and another red and purple based one have color issues when I washed them. I would go with everyone's recommendation of putting a color catcher in there when you wash just to be sure since you are already washing it and have had no problems you know of.

Reactions: Gourmetgal

I think the oldest scarf I own that I've washed is from 1959 - I think the reds are the ones to be wary about as @bunnycat mentioned but I took a risk and didn't use a colour catcher with no issues. I have another one from the 60's in a green-ish colour and had no issues with washing it. I wouldn't suggest washing the older ones in warm water, room temperature or cold is fine.

So I got my sizing spray... IIUC, I don't need to mist with water first, just a light spritz of the sizing followed by ironing? I'm so excited to stiffen up my mens gavs and wash 90!
You don't need water. Just shake the can up, spray (from about 12" or so away) and iron. (I dry iron to avoid marks on things or use your press cloth.)

Reactions: Nomad and Snausages
My First Scarf Washing Experience (turned into a saga… sorry for the massive post!)

Well, I successfully completed my first handwashing exercise. Recently acquired Les Plaisirs du Froid, which I presume is quite vintage. Had some green marks with the seller guessed my have been ink. After reading how aggressive many of the hand washers here have been (acetone!?!? EEEP!), I was confident enough to go straight to dabbing with isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol using Q-tips. Didn’t much budge with dabbing, so on to the rubbing/scrubbing. Slowly the spots faded. Other areas that looked like regular ol’ marks got treated with a 50/50 soap and water, rubbed in unapologetically.

Used cold tap water to fill the sink, with the remainder of my 50/50 mix and about a cap or two of Le Blanc® Silk & Lingerie Wash:
I’m presuming I learned about this product from Mai Tai’s washing instructions?? I’ve had it for awhile.

And of course, for safety, a Shout color catcher.

In the bath I rubbed the areas I’d treated with alcohol and was slightly panicked when I could see an obvious ring where I did some of that treatment. As I rubbed the areas and swished the scarf around, the circle eventually vanished (WHEW!). I set a timer for 5 mintutes, intending to swish periodically, but as I continued to wash I could see the water changing color, very slightly. So I pulled it about a minute early and refilled for a first rinse (again, tap cold).

Kept swishing, and didn’t notice any color in the rinse water. Waited 5 minutes, periodically swishing. Second rinse had added to it about 1/4 teaspoon citric acid, dissolved in a bit of hot water. This I did for two fiber-arts-based reasons:

First, in hopes of keeping the dye from continuing to bleed. At least in my 20+ years of playing with fiber, and sometimes dyes, I know that our modern, home-dyers products for silk, wool, and other protein based fibers need an acidic environment to cause the dye to “strike,” basically meaning to attach itself to the protein fibers (@bunnycat may have a better chemical understanding of the process - I’ve only dabbled). Since the water looked fairly colorless, I was hopeful that there wasn’t much dye available to attach itself in unwanted areas.

Second, I long ago learned (well, was told and believed) that adding vinegar to a final wool rinse was ‘good for the fiber’ and ‘makes moths less attracted to the taste.’ Not sure if silk also prefers a slightly acidic environment, but the possibility of deflecting moths is always a win. And I used a tiny, tiny bit of citric acid (home and indie dyers use it as a more economical alternative to vinegar, and we have it on hand for descaling the tankless water heater, too!). I tasted the water and didn’t even notice a hint of sour, so the amount I added probably had more of a placebo effect on me than actually altering the pH of the water.

Second (final) rinse was also 5 minutes of periodic swishing, then into the salad spinner (thank you, @bunnycat!). Spread it out on an old folded up bedsheet to dry. Stains GONE! Since I heard others mention that handwashing sometimes causes scarves to pucker up around the hems, I went around the hems a few times, pulling them carefully from corner to corner to re-stretch them a bit. Hey, if you can block the bejeezus out of hand knit lace scarves, why not hand stitched hems?

It was silly hot and dry here today, so it dried in less than a couple of hours; I was hoping to iron while still a bit damp, but oh well! After checking to ensure there were no missed stains to be baked in, I ironed it using a thin cotton dish towel as a press cloth. I really need to wash up a scrap of muslin for this purpose!!! I’m not thrilled with my pressing job (even though I pressed), but after it’s been wadded around my neck, er, I mean, “tied,” I’m not sure it’ll matter much!

What did surprise me is how much dye bled onto the white sheet!! Only right at the hems, and not at all into the other colors, but WOW that blue is so not colorfast!! I know everyone warns of reds and greens but ever since I was a kid, getting my socks and legs stained by wet blue jeans, I’ve never trusted blue, either.

I think I overdid the hem stretching, but not so as anyone will notice when it’s worn. Over all, completely successful! I’m leaving it to dry overnight to ensure there is no hint of moisture trapped in those rolled hems before it goes into the drawer with the rest of the scarf family. Thinking of it, I might give it a light wrap in acid-free tissue, just to be sure. But we live in a very dry climate, fortunately.

Front and back of some of the “inked” areas of the scarf (from seller’s listing):

IMG_1868.jpeg IMG_1869.jpeg

Photo, after cleaning:
IMG_5395.jpeg

Photos of the scarf, before and after cleaning. Taken in the same location, but at different times of day, so the light isn’t a perfect match:

IMG_5393.jpeg IMG_5394.jpeg

Color catcher after use, next to a new one for comparison. A lot of dye came out of that small piece of fabric!
IMG_5397.jpeg

Lastly, a couple of photos of the unexpected “Shroud of Turin” portion of the experiment - where the dye transferred from the damp scarf to the cotton sheet:
IMG_5399.jpeg IMG_5398.jpeg

And they all lived happily ever after!!! (At least, I hope so!) :P

My First Scarf Washing Experience (turned into a saga… sorry for the massive post!)

Well, I successfully completed my first handwashing exercise. Recently acquired Les Plaisirs du Froid, which I presume is quite vintage. Had some green marks with the seller guessed my have been ink. After reading how aggressive many of the hand washers here have been (acetone!?!? EEEP!), I was confident enough to go straight to dabbing with isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol using Q-tips. Didn’t much budge with dabbing, so on to the rubbing/scrubbing. Slowly the spots faded. Other areas that looked like regular ol’ marks got treated with a 50/50 soap and water, rubbed in unapologetically.

Used cold tap water to fill the sink, with the remainder of my 50/50 mix and about a cap or two of Le Blanc® Silk & Lingerie Wash:
I’m presuming I learned about this product from Mai Tai’s washing instructions?? I’ve had it for awhile.

In the bath I rubbed the areas I’d treated with alcohol and was slightly panicked when I could see an obvious ring where I did some of that treatment. As I rubbed the areas and swished the scarf around, the circle eventually vanished (WHEW!). I set a timer for 5 mintutes, intending to swish periodically, but as I continued to wash I could see the water changing color, very slightly. So I pulled it about a minute early and refilled for a first rinse (again, tap cold).

Kept swishing, and didn’t notice any color in the rinse water. Waited 5 minutes, periodically swishing. Second rinse had added to it about 1/4 teaspoon citric acid, dissolved in a bit of hot water. This I did for two fiber-arts-based reasons:

First, in hopes of keeping the dye from continuing to bleed. At least in my 20+ years of playing with fiber, and sometimes dyes, I know that our modern, home-dyers products for silk, wool, and other protein based fibers need an acidic environment to cause the dye to “strike,” basically meaning to attach itself to the protein fibers (@bunnycat may have a better chemical understanding of the process - I’ve only dabbled). Since the water looked fairly colorless, I was hopeful that there wasn’t much dye available to attach itself in unwanted areas.

Second, I long ago learned (well, was told and believed) that adding vinegar to a final wool rinse was ‘good for the fiber’ and ‘makes moths less attracted to the taste.’ Not sure if silk also prefers a slightly acidic environment, but the possibility of deflecting moths is always a win. And I used a tiny, tiny bit of citric acid (home and indie dyers use it as a more economical alternative to vinegar, and we have it on hand for descaling the tankless water heater, too!). I tasted the water and didn’t even notice a hint of sour, so the amount I added probably had more of a placebo effect on me than actually altering the pH of the water.

Second (final) rinse was also 5 minutes of periodic swishing, then into the salad spinner (thank you, @bunnycat!). Spread it out on an old folded up bedsheet to dry. Stains GONE! Since I heard others mention that handwashing sometimes causes scarves to pucker up around the hems, I went around the hems a few times, pulling them carefully from corner to corner to re-stretch them a bit. Hey, if you can block the bejeezus out of hand knit lace scarves, why not hand stitched hems?

It was silly hot and dry here today, so it dried in less than a couple of hours; I was hoping to iron while still a bit damp, but oh well! After checking to ensure there were no missed stains to be baked in, I ironed it using a thin cotton dish towel as a press cloth. I really need to wash up a scrap of muslin for this purpose!!! I’m not thrilled with my pressing job (even though I pressed), but after it’s been wadded around my neck, er, I mean, “tied,” I’m not sure it’ll matter much!

What did surprise me is how much dye bled onto the white sheet!! Only right at the hems, and not at all into the other colors, but WOW that blue is so not colorfast!! I know everyone warns of reds and greens but ever since I was a kid, getting my socks and legs stained by wet blue jeans, I’ve never trusted blue, either.

I think I overdid the hem stretching, but not so as anyone will notice when it’s worn. Over all, completely successful! I’m leaving it to dry overnight to ensure there is no hint of moisture trapped in those rolled hems before it goes into the drawer with the rest of the scarf family. Thinking of it, I might give it a light wrap in acid-free tissue, just to be sure. But we live in a very dry climate, fortunately.

Front and back of some of the “inked” areas of the scarf (from seller’s listing):

View attachment 5938983 View attachment 5938984

Photo, after cleaning:
View attachment 5938985

Photos of the scarf, before and after cleaning. Taken in the same location, but at different times of day, so the light isn’t a perfect match:

View attachment 5938989 View attachment 5938990

Color catcher after use, next to a new one for comparison. A lot of dye came out of that small piece of fabric!
View attachment 5938991

Lastly, a couple of photos of the unexpected “Shroud of Turin” portion of the experiment - where the dye transferred from the damp scarf to the cotton sheet:
View attachment 5938992 View attachment 5938993

Wow! I can hardly believe those green ink marks came out! Good job! Y'all have more nerve than I do with vintage scarves. :P

View attachment 5938983 View attachment 5938984

Photo, after cleaning:
View attachment 5938985

View attachment 5938989 View attachment 5938990

View attachment 5938991

View attachment 5938992 View attachment 5938993

Fantastic work! I’ll have to remember the rubbing alcohol next time I have a stubborn stain!