Scarves Cleaning and Caring for Hermès Scarves

I have had great success washing my Hermes scarves by hand using delicate wash from the Laundress. I gently squeeze the water out by placing the scarves between soft terry bath towels and pressing gently. I dry them on a flat surface away from direct sunlight. Finally I press them with an iron. I place a thin, white, linen hankerchief between the iron and the silk. Never iron the rolled edges. Bring your iron up to the edge, but never place it on the edge. I used to dry clean, but I believe this is the best method to preserve the beautiful scarves without the harsh dry cleaning chemicals.
I use the same method and products @BagArt, I feel much safer washing it myself than trusting it to a dry cleaner. I dry my scarves by draping a towel over my shower door and laying the damp scarf on the towel (ie, "hanging" it by folding it in half over the top of the door). I've had no issues with mis-shaping and the dry time is reasonable. Plus, my cats cannot access the scarf when it is on the door, which is something I would worry about if it was on a flat surface.

I bought this color catcher at the supermarket; there was no Shout color catcher product. Has anyone used this product to handwash silk scarves? The directions do not mention handwashing. I welcome any and all input and advice. Thank you so kindly, dear Scarfies!
621B7EE0-B97B-401F-A132-4C428CFE1C72.jpeg7F7155E3-F84B-4675-BC80-EC9662997751.jpeg401ED89F-DED2-4FD7-9121-B0566FE1597D.jpeg

I bought this color catcher at the supermarket; there was no Shout color catcher product. Has anyone used this product to handwash silk scarves? The directions do not mention handwashing. I welcome any and all input and advice. Thank you so kindly, dear Scarfies!
View attachment 5001871View attachment 5001869View attachment 5001870
this one is just a microfiber towel, ionized to attract any dye that gets into water, see ingredients list

so, for ex, let’s say you have a navy border scarf with white field ... any navy dye that gets into the water will be absorbed by catcher before it gets absorbed by white field turning it bluish ... Good

BUT

the navy dye has still BLED, it will no longer be as vibrant a blue, might be duller

the navy may still come out looking WASHED ie dull like the new WASH scarves

moral of story, unless you want the look of a wash scarf, keep it in the water for as short a time as possible

View attachment 5001871View attachment 5001869View attachment 5001870
I really have no experience with this product Karen, I couldn't say if it would work the same as the Shout ones or not. I'm sorry I can't be more informative!

• Love
Reactions: Karenska
I have had wonderful results washing Hermes scarves with Johnson’s baby shampoo. The only thing I know of that will remove oil from fabric is Dawn dishes detergent. Works like magic on most fabrics but don’t know about silk.
I have used both with success but I am careful to watch the rinse water like a hawk, if it gets dirty, there is bleeding, and I rinse ASAP
never leave scarf unattended in water

I use the same method and products @BagArt, I feel much safer washing it myself than trusting it to a dry cleaner. I dry my scarves by draping a towel over my shower door and laying the damp scarf on the towel (ie, "hanging" it by folding it in half over the top of the door). I've had no issues with mis-shaping and the dry time is reasonable. Plus, my cats cannot access the scarf when it is on the door, which is something I would worry about if it was on a flat surface.
with older scarves that are prone to bleeding, I dry them flat on a towel, on the floor ie horizontal
if you dry vertically, then dye can drip down the side of the silk and splotch it
this is particularly true for 30 plus year old scarves , not so much for newer ones , the green dye was a notorious bleeder

this one is just a microfiber towel, ionized to attract any dye that gets into water, see ingredients list

so, for ex, let’s say you have a navy border scarf with white field ... any navy dye that gets into the water will be absorbed by catcher before it gets absorbed by white field turning it bluish ... Good

BUT

the navy dye has still BLED, it will no longer be as vibrant a blue, might be duller

the navy may still come out looking WASHED ie dull like the new WASH scarves

moral of story, unless you want the look of a wash scarf, keep it in the water for as short a time as possible
Thank you so much, Marietouchet. I appreciate the advice.

Reactions: MAGJES
with older scarves that are prone to bleeding, I dry them flat on a towel, on the floor ie horizontal
if you dry vertically, then dye can drip down the side of the silk and splotch it
this is particularly true for 30 plus year old scarves , not so much for newer ones , the green dye was a notorious bleeder
Marie! Nice to see you. I always dry mine flat as well but even newer ones. I’ve never had an issue hand washing any of my scarves; in fact I have never dry cleaned any of them. Do you think newer ones could be dried vertically?

Marie! Nice to see you. I always dry mine flat as well but even newer ones. I’ve never had an issue hand washing any of my scarves; in fact I have never dry cleaned any of them. Do you think newer ones could be dried vertically?
hi Boston !
Well, people here seem to have done it, I always do horizontal on top of towel, the scarf is dry enough to iron in like 10 min , so my French bulldogs never get a crack at it
i might put towel(s) on the king bed, if it is a big scarf and not enough room on floor

hint , if the dye does not soak well to the scarf backside, as in many new scarves, then it is probably OK to go vertical
but see if you can put towel behind vertical scarf to get it dry faster, just in case

by, old scarf, I recently washed a 1980s 1821, solid cobalt front and back, that cobalt wanted to run badly,

by new scarf, I am thinking cite cavaliere, which is almost white on the backside, much less ink there

Thank you for all the science about Laundress products vs Tenestar. I will change my process. I assume that all these handwash products are still safer than dry cleaners which leave faint chemical smells and always risk improper ironing. In the long run, they are all meant to be worn and won’t last forever. Like a summer day, enjoy the beauty of a fleeting moment

• Love
Reactions: Karenska and Nomad
I researched color catchers in general - see Google. The basic principle is the same for all brands. An intuitive explanation...

Putting a catcher of any type in a load of laundry with WHITE undies and NEW blue jeans will prevent the undies from turning blue gray.

The catchers dont prevent the blue jeans from bleeding, but they catch the dye before it gets on the undies (the dye in the water is attracted to the ionized sheet before it gets to the whites). The jeans will still FADE but the undies will stay white.