Classic Black Pump - Suede or Patent?

Patent used to be considered seasonal, but is now considered a year-round classic. Suede, because of its richer color and velvet-like appearance, is still mostly a fall/winter shoe. Suede does generally break in more easily than patent, but it also scuffs and sustains water/salt damage more easily. I'd go with the patent.

I'd personally go for CL's Pigalles, but given that they're a 120, just make sure you can walk in them.... Many people here have trouble especially given that the toebox is quite narrow and the sole is thin. So you can't be walking/standing too long in them.

The other pair is nice too, but it's more casual. Suede is extremely delicate, so you can't wear them in the rain....

Patent used to be considered seasonal, but is now considered a year-round classic. Suede, because of its richer color and velvet-like appearance, is still mostly a fall/winter shoe. Suede does generally break in more easily than patent, but it also scuffs and sustains water/salt damage more easily. I'd go with the patent.
I know I'm resurrecting a zombie thread, but would love to hear whether people stick to the suede=fall/winter and patent=spring/summer way of thinking. My opinion is that suede looks "wrong" worn in the summer and patent feels "off" when worn in the winter. I guess calf leather is the true "all-season" material!

I don't agree that suede = fall/winter and patent = spring/summer. There are so many great suede shoes for summer - suede strappy sandals, suede ballet flats etc.
But I am biased, because I prefer suede to patent anytime! I don't like that patent leather has a layer of finishing on top - it takes away the natural beauty of leather, and sometimes it can look too plastic.

Reactions: BalenciagaKitte
I like suede in the summer - particularly in lighter colors. But since summer is dry season for us, it is also the most practical time to wear suede. :biggrin:

I think it can work year round. Though maybe black or forest green suede works best in winter.

I find patent to be so uncomfortable that I skip it!

I know I'm resurrecting a zombie thread, but would love to hear whether people stick to the suede=fall/winter and patent=spring/summer way of thinking. My opinion is that suede looks "wrong" worn in the summer and patent feels "off" when worn in the winter. I guess calf leather is the true "all-season" material!
I generally avoid suede to avoid caring for it. I see your point however and the only suede investments I've made are sandals, so I'll wear them in the summer, one pair I can wear all year, they are a cobalt blue. I've got a pink pair that is best left for summer months.

I wear patent in the winter, but only my Viviers and low Pradas in dark colors.

Here are the suede sandals.
06262017Suede_Sandals.png

I've never heard of suede being/feeling seasonal for fall/winter and patent for spring/summer. Generally speaking I like the look of calf leather for casual and suede for dressy, but feel that suede can really go both ways. Patent I wear very sparingly as it seems too flashy. But I do live in LA and we have sunny weather year-round so maybe I just feel different because of that.

I've never heard of the seasonality of suede/patent either. I say wear just wear what you like best. My preference over either for a primary, versatile, every day black pump is regular black calf or black calf with a high polish, which can look like a mellower version of patent. That said, I have the Prada saffiano black pumps, which are patent, and I love them because they have texture.