Class Rings

Archipelago said:
My friends have never worn their class rings past high school. I think it's a waste of money. I'd rather not remember high school. A yearbook is enough for me.

I knew I'd never wear one (a class ring), so I didn't order one. And after lugging my yearbooks around with me as I moved over the years, I finally hucked them, too. I think it was reading the autographs that did it for me. All those things people write like stay sweet, blah blah blah. out of 3 yearbooks, only ONE person actually wrote something of substance. And, all my best friends went to the other schools in town, anyway.

That's just me, though.

Pippi

well, i turned in my order form for my class ring today. after talking with a few seniors, i decided that although there is a chance i wont wear it all the time, it's still a nice memory to take away. i can't wait to see how it turns out!

I had one once too. No idea where it is. It's definitely for some people and not others. I should have used that money and bought something else back then, but my mom wanted me to have the complete high school "experience" and insisted upon it. She was so sweet, looking back now... but now, I'm sure it's collecting dust in the garage or something.

I haven't worn mine since high school. My dad bought me a beautiful topaz ring (my birthstone) for my 18th birthday, which I can still wear at 42.
That might be something special that would be an alternative. Otherwise, just get the one you like and enjoy it for the senior year. That is usually such a fun time in your life-especially the excitement of prom. Congratualations on your upcoming graduation.

I got a ring that wasn't a formal "class ring" for high school and that was a good choice for me. Years later, I was able to wear it.

I did get a class ring for Graduate School -- but more of a signet, very plain, engraved in Onyx set in yellow gold.

I still wear that one--it looks like a signet ring.

I am old, so my ring was 14K gold, bought back when the cost was not prohibitive.
I sold it for the gold value a couple of years ago.
Prior to that, I had not worn it since I graduated from high school.

I got one when I was a junior, and wore it for about a year and a half after leaving school the same year (graduated early). I was so excited to get it, and since I had had a non-traditional school experience, I went with silver or white gold, can't remember, and my birthstone in the smallest ring I could choose from, since I hated the traditional class ring, it's too bulky! I loved the idea of getting it, and even made my parents find theirs so I could see them, but now it sits in my jewelry box, unworn. I'll keep it, it's sentimental, but in retrospect, it was a waste of money to buy.

Haven't worn mine since high school. At the time, it was SO important that I get a class ring but then again, isn't everything at that age? :smile:

Mine is YG with a ruby center stone (my birthstone). I wasn't involved in any school sports but I was an equestrian. So I had my school mascot on one side and a horse icon on the other with my horses name engraved on the side.

Hope this helps!

I never got a school ring...Everyone bought them when they graduated and I didn't see the appeal in them, not to mention how expensive they were. I also hated the designs LOL. I found a sterling silver ring with a garnet in the centre (our school colours were burgundy and white), and it had flowers on either side. It sort of looks like a school ring, so I bought that and wore it as my "school ring" and now it sits in my jewellery box.
I do plan on getting one when I graduate College if there are any styles I like. I just feel like that is a bigger deal than high school and now that I can afford more I can get yellow gold and do it how I want.

I never bought one. My school only offered gold and they were around 600- to 900 dollars. I went to Tiffany and bought a DBTY for 400 dollars less LOL.

same as university- I didn't purchase one and bought a Tiffany key as my "grad ring" instead of a ring I had a "key to my future":biggrin:

I sold my high school ring for gold scrap (it was heeeavy!) but my college ring, I purposely designed in the style of a larger signet ring, no stones. It's an awesome "signature" piece of jewelry that I pull out from time to time- it was also my college graduation gift from my parents, so it has wonderful sentimental value.