CITES question

S0nia

Sofa King Banned
Oct 8, 2023
Thi is a question for those who have experience with exotics purchases. I have never done this under the CITES system.

I am looking into buying online a bracelet containing exotic elements. The seller, on the other side of the world, provides a fully valid CITES for export and ships via Fedex. They say customs will keep the CITES.
My issue is: once I have the bracelet, then what? Once I put it around my wrist, how do I justify for it when I travel?
I understand personal exemptions, but what happens when you get an agent who does not understand or know about personal exemptions? Should you carry around the CITES with you even for a bracelet? But if customs keep your CITES, how does it work? Do you request to have a second CITES joined with your purchase? Or does cutoms give you a copy of the CITES while keeping the original?

I already have another similar bracelet acquired before the whole CITES system, which is completely paperless, and I have never had problems with it but just in case... I would like to make sure I do not put this second bracelet at risk of a seizure.