Why are items on Fashionphile more expensive than retail price?

I've still been scoring some pretty good deals on Fashionphile. But then again, I've stopped buying bags and have been buying mostly jewelry or shoes through them.
All of the pieces I've bought were below retail price. I also sell through them and at first they were low balling me but after the 2nd piece I've sold, they started quoting me better prices. I think you have to build a rapport with them before they start giving you better prices on your items? Just sucks ever since they started charging taxes.

While I agree the quotes are sometimes crazy low, they do say in their descriptions that their buyout prices are usually 50-70% of the price they expect to sell for. I'm guessing they are calculating their expected sale price based on 1 or even 2 markdowns, too. If I have a very high value item, I'll always try to sell it myself first. Otherwise sites like FP are a great backup.

The thing about FP that REALLY gets under my skin is the over-retail pricing on items you can literally buy online brand new from the retailer if you are patient (YSL uptown pouch, LV multi pochette, etc.). Doesn't apply to Chanel but it still really bothers me.

I asked for a quote for a Chanel mini - black with gold hardware, full set, caviar, 17C collection - and they quoted me USD2500. It was hilarious. They list those bags for close to USD5000

I asked for a quote on a black Chanel 19K mini reissue, full set, boutique fresh with protective still intact. They offered $2700. I didn't accept the offer and sold it to an IG seller for $3100.

Reactions: keodi and RT1
I have bought a few good pieces from them, but since announced price increases for Chanel, their pricing went way too high. east west flap from 2500 to 3100 easily. found it somewhere else for 1900. I bought my recent bags from AFF - I don't like their reserve function as I do fashionphiles or lack of reducing prices, but they don't have to charge tax and they had some great bags available. their selection is not as good as fashionphiles but the quality is really high