Celine cabas phantom question

You can always just order both and return one. Honestly, the large is better suited as a travel or work tote but the small is small enough especially when cinched to work as a large tote-like handbag. How are you planning to use it?

And FWIW, the grey color is fabulous. I have Celine bags in grey and taupe and much prefer the grey.

I was in the Celine store today to try out the cabas in small size. Color-wise is stunning (i love the grey) but those shoulder straps... ughh... anyone alse finding them uncomfortable?!

Thanks everyone for all your kind answers!
I was about to buy it online but I guess it would be wiser to wait on my next trip to buy this beauty...
If any of you has a Phantom cabas, I would love to see your pictures as I'm still not sure about the size and color! :P

Hi! I recently got both Cabas Phantom and Folded Cabas, the small size and taupe color… Phantom one is really huge, it fits my Mac Air 13 inches, together with a laptop sleeve, I think this bag can fits almost anything as it’s really huge even in small size, so it’s easy to make it heavy… While for a Folded Cabas, it fits an IPad Air, a Moleskine or A5 sized notebook, the shoulder strap is too thin for me to be carried on the shoulder, I prefer to carry this one handheld or on crook of my arm

22E1066F-ED98-431E-96CE-5684ADD5E8DB.jpeg

AE84E917-F1CD-4194-AF93-079E1DBADD38.jpeg

Thanks for the comparison photo. Are the straps adjustable on the folded cabas and what is the maximum drop?

The maximum drop for hand held straps is 13 cm, unfortunately the detachable shoulder strap (long about 95 cm) is not adjustable, it has two holes on each side, but as you can see from the picture, should I move it from one hole to the other, the leather piece will be sticking out

4C1B3E6D-742B-466A-A7C1-BB6DCDA8C216.jpeg

Wow, only a 5 inch drop? That seems short. Now I see on the website it’s a 29 cm - 11 inch drop. That’s more like a shoulder bag. The finding around the top edge seems bulky…how is it IRL?

Wow, only a 5 inch drop? That seems short. Now I see on the website it’s a 29 cm - 11 inch drop. That’s more like a shoulder bag. The finding around the top edge seems bulky…how is it IRL?

The small size has a shoulder drop of 5 inches/13 cm as stated on the official website, the medium version instead comes without additional shoulder strap and the drop of the handles is 11 inches/29 cm, if you’re looking for a tote to be carried on shoulder… As for small Phantom Cabas the official website states the shoulder drop is 9 inches/22cm…
Since I already have Phantom Cabas, Folded Cabas adds some variety for me being a hand-carried tote (or also on crook of my arm) rather than another tote carried on the shoulder (bear in mind I have YSL tote that already serves me similar function as a Phantom Cabas, with Phantom being almost twice as larger). Also Folded Cabas is much structured than Phantom Cabas and keeps its shape without bag organizer, while Phantom Cabas is much softer and slouches easily without bag organizer

I added a picture of all my tote bags: small Phantom cabas, YSL shopping tote (vertical version), small Folded Cabas and a Maxmara PLAGES tote bag

73B4BA04-F62F-4215-9E10-DD87AAD74BA1.jpeg

80BC34A2-B879-46FE-8737-815BD81F24A8.jpeg

CB969752-4A1F-4927-A7A1-D6ECE7BF90F7.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Gourmetgal
I haven’t seen Medium Folded Cabas at the store, but this model could be an alternative to YSL shopping tote.
Medium Folded Cabas has shoulder drop of 11 inches/29 cm, while YSL’s is a bit shorther at 23,5 cm

As for Small Phantom Cabas, I think this style is a great alternative to LV Neverfull and Goyard tote bags… before getting Phantom, I actually was considering getting Goyard Artois in PM, but for something that costs around 1500€ I’d rather buy a bag made of genuine leather, than a bag made of plastic…

Attachments

• D1114DA1-60D0-4CB6-9290-C6AF604E4530.jpeg
    D1114DA1-60D0-4CB6-9290-C6AF604E4530.jpeg
    38.5 KB · Views: 4
  • D649210A-2B09-4202-8CEC-781C586DAFDE.jpeg
    D649210A-2B09-4202-8CEC-781C586DAFDE.jpeg
    148.1 KB · Views: 4
Hi! I recently got both Cabas Phantom and Folded Cabas, the small size and taupe color… Phantom one is really huge, it fits my Mac Air 13 inches, together with a laptop sleeve, I think this bag can fits almost anything as it’s really huge even in small size, so it’s easy to make it heavy… While for a Folded Cabas, it fits an IPad Air, a Moleskine or A5 sized notebook, the shoulder strap is too thin for me to be carried on the shoulder, I prefer to carry this one handheld or on crook of my arm

View attachment 5320104

View attachment 5320105
Thank you for the photos! That helps a lot!

Reactions: coffee2go
As for Small Phantom Cabas, I think this style is a great alternative to LV Neverfull and Goyard tote bags… before getting Phantom, I actually was considering getting Goyard Artois in PM, but for something that costs around 1500€ I’d rather buy a bag made of genuine leather, than a bag made of plastic…
[/QUOTE]

I have both the Small Cabas Phantom and the Goyard Artois (but in MM) and use the Cabas for everyday/work tote and the Artois for travel.

The Artois is more structured/rigid and has reinforced corners- it is quite durable (and less flimsy than the St. Louis).

I personally find the straps to stay more easily with the Artois than the Cabas. (The Cabas shoulder straps are wider but more slippery at least in my experience so far).

I haven’t had the Cabas long enough to see if putting an ipad or MacBook could dent or crease the leather but I don’t have the same concern with the Artois, FWIW, depending on how you’d use the bag.

I was in the Celine store today to try out the cabas in small size. Color-wise is stunning (i love the grey) but those shoulder straps... ughh... anyone alse finding them uncomfortable?!

My straps slip but they aren’t uncomfortable. It could just be my shoulder slope! I do like the bag a lot, but the strap slip is a con for me personally.