Cartier or VCA - My First Piece of Designer Jewelry

Hi! I just wanted to ask you; do you think the Rose Des Vents proportion and size-wise would work well stacked underneath a VCA Alhambra pendant? I’ve been saving for the new VCA guilloche for ages but now my husband has vetoed it and I’m not allowed to buy it (so disappointed ) so I’ve turned my attention to the MOP RdV ( I have the MOP and onyx Alhambra’s) and would wear it low, almost like a medallion. Having never seen it in real life my only concern is that it’s too dainty and wouldn’t be as thick as the Alhambra’s. The RdV collection is not on my husband’s radar so he won’t know what it is anyway and I think they are beautiful and a good price point so it’s a good compromise in my eyes so I’d love to place an order! But just wanted to see what you thought as the lapis one looks lovely on you. Please see attached picture of my current stack - the RdV would go below as I’ve badly edited it! Thanks in advance!
Funny you should ask this since I was just thinking yesterday that I’d like a turquoise RdV to stack with my Alhambra pendant. But visually I think I would stack it above the Alhambra instead of under it. I prefer maintaining size order In my necklace stacks, but to each their own!

Funny you should ask this since I was just thinking yesterday that I’d like a turquoise RdV to stack with my Alhambra pendant. But visually I think I would stack it above the Alhambra instead of under it. I prefer maintaining size order In my necklace stacks, but to each their own!
Thanks so much for replying! I know what you mean about size order but on the website it says there is only 3mm difference in width (so 1.5mm either side which is a minuscule difference) but do you think it looks way more dainty than the VCA? Also from memory, is the RdV thin or of equal thickness to VCA? I’m itching to place an order!!!! But equally I don’t want to waste my time if it’s totally unsuitable. Sorry to go on and on but there’s no info on thickness on website and I couldn’t think of anyone else to ask!! I think a turquoise RdV would look amazing with your VCA by the way

Thanks so much for replying! I know what you mean about size order but on the website it says there is only 3mm difference in width (so 1.5mm either side which is a minuscule difference) but do you think it looks way more dainty than the VCA? Also from memory, is the RdV thin or of equal thickness to VCA? I’m itching to place an order!!!! But equally I don’t want to waste my time if it’s totally unsuitable. Sorry to go on and on but there’s no info on thickness on website and I couldn’t think of anyone else to ask!! I think a turquoise RdV would look amazing with your VCA by the way
I defjjjtely think the RdV has a daintier look to it compared to a vintage Alhambra. The RdV chain is probably about the same size as the Alhambra, Perhaps a bit smaller, but I think the fact that the RdV is round and the Alhambra shape makes it appear as if there is more surface area than there really is. When boutiques open for in store shopping in my city I can go try on and post mod shots.

Reactions: Strappyshoo
I defjjjtely think the RdV has a daintier look to it compared to a vintage Alhambra. The RdV chain is probably about the same size as the Alhambra, Perhaps a bit smaller, but I think the fact that the RdV is round and the Alhambra shape makes it appear as if there is more surface area than there really is. When boutiques open for in store shopping in my city I can go try on and post mod shots.
Yes, I agree with everything you’ve said! I thought that maybe though with the MOP RdV that as it’s light in colour it might look bigger?! OMG, if you could do a try on with the RdV lower than the VCA (held at say at about 19”) I would be eternally grateful!!!! The nearest Dior store to me is London and that’s still an hour away from me and I’d have some explaining to do Thank you so much for all your help, really appreciate it x

Yes, I agree with everything you’ve said! I thought that maybe though with the MOP RdV that as it’s light in colour it might look bigger?! OMG, if you could do a try on with the RdV lower than the VCA (held at say at about 19”) I would be eternally grateful!!!! The nearest Dior store to me is London and that’s still an hour away from me and I’d have some explaining to do Thank you so much for all your help, really appreciate it x
I’ll try to hit the boutique next weekend!

Reactions: hhw
I was able to go to The boutique yesterday and tried the turquoise and MoP RdV necklaces. Tried layering above and below the Alhambra. Both the SA and I agreed it look better stacked above! Apologies for my splotchy neck - was super hot out!

575FE03E-5D71-469E-8A50-E756B1B0CE7F.jpeg

E2C00D1E-F473-4EAC-9EA5-9588CFF3530B.jpeg

4940FB5C-91EF-43F3-8755-558231600CFE.jpeg

8EE7A27F-6863-4BB5-920F-3FBEA789785A.jpeg

Thank you SOOO much for doing this! So this has settled a few decisions for me! First, can i just say that I think the turquoise RdV looks amazing on your skin and with your VCA - did you buy it?! For me, for what I want, I think the proportions look fine with the RdV under the VCA....but...I don't love it in the MOP :sad: I think it looks way better in a coloured stone, it just looks a bit insipid and bland in the MOP. I think it has also proven that I don't love it enough to buy it over the guilloche and that I'm going to work on my husband so that he changes his mind!!!! I think that I would happily have the RdV (in MOP) as an accent piece to wear above the guilloche but not as a standalone piece. I think I'd rather wait longer and purchase what I really, really want than have a compromise that I don't love, if that makes sense. Thank you so much again for doing this, I really appreciate it and if you haven't bought the RdV then I hope you do soon because it looks beautiful on you! x

Reactions: ffflyin
Thank you SOOO much for doing this! So this has settled a few decisions for me! First, can i just say that I think the turquoise RdV looks amazing on your skin and with your VCA - did you buy it?! For me, for what I want, I think the proportions look fine with the RdV under the VCA....but...I don't love it in the MOP :sad: I think it looks way better in a coloured stone, it just looks a bit insipid and bland in the MOP. I think it has also proven that I don't love it enough to buy it over the guilloche and that I'm going to work on my husband so that he changes his mind!!!! I think that I would happily have the RdV (in MOP) as an accent piece to wear above the guilloche but not as a standalone piece. I think I'd rather wait longer and purchase what I really, really want than have a compromise that I don't love, if that makes sense. Thank you so much again for doing this, I really appreciate it and if you haven't bought the RdV then I hope you do soon because it looks beautiful on you! x
It was my pleasure! It felt almost semi-normal to go visit the shops again (minus the masks and gloves of course). I haven't yet purchased the turquoise RdV since there are a couple of other wishlist items I am prioritizing first, but this made me fall in love with it anew! And completely agree with your analysis here - MOP RdV would work best as the top layer of a necklace stack, as it is more of a filler than an accent piece on its own, especially when compared to the VCA guilloche. Definitely think you should hold off and purchase the guilloche first, then play around with RdV as an accent piece for it later.

It was my pleasure! It felt almost semi-normal to go visit the shops again (minus the masks and gloves of course). I haven't yet purchased the turquoise RdV since there are a couple of other wishlist items I am prioritizing first, but this made me fall in love with it anew! And completely agree with your analysis here - MOP RdV would work best as the top layer of a necklace stack, as it is more of a filler than an accent piece on its own, especially when compared to the VCA guilloche. Definitely think you should hold off and purchase the guilloche first, then play around with RdV as an accent piece for it later.
Thanks so much again for your help and input. I will let you know how my plan to wear the husband down works :smile: I'm aiming to have the guilloche for my birthday at the end of August; let's see if I'm successful!! x

Reactions: cafecreme15
My husband surprised me with the guilloche for my birthday! I’m over the moon! ✨A2A813CF-9F0F-496F-B567-90D9CB205C85.jpeg

So I was able to try on a ton of pieces from VCA and the Dior Rose des Vents necklace (I liked the lapis the best). I walked into Cartier to look at the Amulette, and in person they reminded me of Pokeballs from Pokémon, so I crossed that off the list without even trying. Would love to get your thoughts! Excuse the quality of the pics - was snapping quickly so as not to keep the SA waiting since I knew I wasn’t purchasing that day.
Vintage Alhambra MOP with white gold
View attachment 4417935
Vintage Alhambra MOP with yellow gold
View attachment 4417936
Vintage Alhambra Yellow Hammered Gold
View attachment 4417937
Adored this mini pave frivole in YG but out of budget. SA has a lot of fun with me trying everything and insisted I put it on.
View attachment 4417938
Mini frivole WG
View attachment 4417939
Dior Rose des Vents. This can be worn at 3 different lengths and this is the shortest.
View attachment 4417942
I love the YG MOP. I have the same

Reactions: kimber418