Cartier or Rolex.....Which do you prefer??

BTW, didn't mean to insult anyone with a love for Cartier. Afterall I do sell it too. LOL. But I just favor pieces that are well-made, that hold their value and that are somewhat unusual.
I hear people say, "Well I see Rolex everywhere." but there are SOOOOOOO many different types of bezels, bracelets and combinations. From amazing solid pink gold antique Rolexes with tiny bands from the mid 1900's to diamond covered presidents.

And I hope that my guide on how to keep your Rolex time accurate helps.

lilach said:
:yes: and when it comes to watches i think the inner part counts. and i take a manufacture mechanical movement anytime over a 5$ eta quartz one. so rolex all the way or a mechanical cartier. but a quartz cartier is definately not worth the money and moreso will depreciate in value as fast as you can say "burnt money"

lol, most 'basic' Cartier watches have a $10 ETA automatic movement, is that any better?:roflmfao: I think the cheapest Cartier with a decent Jaeger Le-Coultre (Manufacture) movement must be the 42mm steel Pasha and that's more than $6,000. You can get a way better watch mechanically at that price.

I agree with all the ladies that Rolex are so much superior inside wise but I don't think you buy a Cartier watch for the movement, you buy it just for the face (I do anyway:greengrin:smile:. My personal preference is a Tank over an Oyster Perpetual because I don't appreciate the difference between the Rolex models, to me they all look the same:lol: .

I Have Both, So Does My Husband (As I Mentioned Before He Has A Nice Collection).......I Wear My Cartier Much More.

If We Are Talking Investments ~ Rolex!

Remember, When Buying You Are One That Has To Wear It (& Look @ It!).......So Be Happy With It!

I have an automatic Girard-Perregaux. Like a Rolex, I guess. It's made in a little workshop/factory in Switzerland. Retails for around $3000 in basic stainless with 14K detailing.

I did a bunch of research and got it for Xmas in 2004 - I've worn it every day since I've gotten it (about 18 months) and it keeps time 'okay'. It runs about a minute fast every week. Not bad, but I do have to reset it every 2 weeks. For a $3000 watch that seems a little strange. I know I should have sent it in for an adjustment during the 1-year warranty. :oh:

Anyway...the big problem I'm having and I've never heard of this or anticipated it when I was trying to decide is ...when I fly my watch doesn't react well to the subtle changes in pressure and in the day following the flight the :censor: thing leaks oil! UGH.....it's gross and gets all over my wrist. Now I finally figured out what was causing it and now I have this elaborate routine where I check into my hotel and then scrub my watch before I do anything else.

I don't know if a quartz would avoid this since it has lubricant as well, but I have NEVER had a problem with this with any quartz watch I've ever owned. So, at the moment, I'm down on my beloved, much anticipated and much desired, hauty-tauty automatic Swiss watch.

BagLuver said:
I'm thinking of buying a new watch soon, but I can't decide between Rolex and Cartier. What do you think?

I actually own both. I have the Cartier tank medium in s/s and a Rolex ladies s/s white face datejust.

I have them both...

My 2 cents...Rolex for the actual mechanics/workmanship. Don't buy into the resale of it all...buyers try to steal it from you practically. It also takes quite a while for you to gain back the actual cost.

Cartier...I feel you buy for the look more than the mechanics.

I have never ever had a single problem with either brand. They both work fine and the co.'s stand behind them both.

I say you have to buy what you love and want to look at day after day and year after year. It is an investment. They are both classic.

I do have to say the rolex style stays the same, but some reason you can see the age in the model over time. Not meaning they get beat up, but they do look their age after a while. Cartier stays pretty much the same over time.

OH...which do I like better...depends on the mood!

I have both and I love both. Rolex is more high-maintenance because of the movement, whereas the Cartier I have runs on a battery, so it's low maintenance. I think Rolex has a few models that run on a battery, but not many. Cartier, likewise may have some automatic models, but I don't know how many. Each is a different experience.