Can someone PLEASE tell me WHAT THE DEAL IS ?????

Jeannie Johnny was soooo hot in that movie? !! I wanted to be a pirate lol!!! :nuts:

jeannie77 said:
I'm generally not a big fan of skulls either, but once I went through a pirate phase -- don't even ask... I don't know why... I think it was after watching pirates of the carribean and johnny depp was so hot ;) -- but anyways, I have a paul frank shrunk hoody that has a skull and since it's paul frank it's sorta portrayed in a comical way which I thought was kinda cute.

My bf is in med school, and we have one of his fake skulls that he uses to study on our television in our living room. I call him Chester. I don't find them morbid, more interesting than morbid.

I love skulls. Aside from the punk, goth, rock, thing, skulls have traditionally been shown as a sort of memento mori - 'remember you will die.' Dutch still lifes will show flowers, wine, and fantastic food along with a skull as a sort of moral lesson - enjoy the pleasure of today with the thought that you will die.

People who like the skulls might want to check out Exhibitionist jewerly - they have a website and they're NYC based.

SwankyMamaof3 said:
rock and roll! That's better, I said punk or goth, Rock and Roll is more along the lines of what I was thinking!
Something I personally cannot pull off!
I do love Loganz ability to do it though!

I'm not to great at pulling it off sucessfully myself either. Maybe one but more than that I would look a mess. :amazed:

I am SO not a skull wearing kind of chick... more lily pulitzer, gucci sandals, lv bag wearing kind of lady....Im getting old...when I was in my 20's I wore only black, and any kind of goth kind of gear. I love my 30's....in Florida...all fun colors, its soo cool...I lovemy 30's.

I'm not really feeling the skull thing either--it just doesn't suit my rather conservative personal style. I can see how they might look kind of cool, but I don't think I could pull it off myself.

I'm going to agree with you amelia & say I don't really understand the new skull trend that has been starting. I'm sure they look great on some people, just not my personal taste though!

Twinklette said:
Jeannie Johnny was soooo hot in that movie? !! I wanted to be a pirate lol!!! :nuts:

Wasn't he??? :nuts: I was so obssesed with pirates for a while (I searched the internet and libraries/literature on their history, stories, etc. etc. etc.!!!) that my friends were thinking about buying me a pet parrot for my birthday, but I grew out of it... although I heard a sequel is coming out, so check back with me after my birthday and I may have a new little birdy named polly ;)

jeannie77 said:
I'm generally not a big fan of skulls either, but once I went through a pirate phase -- don't even ask... I don't know why... I think it was after watching pirates of the carribean and johnny depp was so hot ;) -- but anyways, I have a paul frank shrunk hoody that has a skull and since it's paul frank it's sorta portrayed in a comical way which I thought was kinda cute.

i love the paul frank's skull!! the guy n gal skull... love em ^^ they're cute imo
one other skulls i like is nightmare b4 christmas' :lol:
shortly, i like skulls only when its comical

i'm not a fan of skulls (now)... maybe because i got over the craze when i was a teenager... used to be really crazy with the whole goth stuff...and death and morbid stuff, trying to be a rebel when i was younger, so i think skulls just reminds me of those times, fun, but i think i may be a bit 'old' for it now! haha!

You know I think it is in which perspective you are coming from. Skulls do represent Rock n Roll and a tad of rebellion. The whole Goth thing. But I am with the Original Poster. I work in a hospital, and when you've seen parts of human skulls it tends to impact you. Especially when the person is still alive. A Patient had half his face eaten away from Mouth cancer. You could see his bones in part. Skulls hold no fascination for me.

It is either something you can "rock" or not - I personally could never carry the Burberry tartan print look - I would look afright and ghastly -
To each their own, although Hollywood has jumped on the skull bandwagon let us not forget that using skulls in fashion and media is not "new" -

I interned a semester at a level 1 trauma center, Denver Health, and I saw many human atrocities - the things I saw have no connection to the skulls tattooed on my arm, my husband's arm, or on my TW bag, jacket, and scarf....symbolism only exists if you create it. ;)