Can someone explain the Birkin/Kelly obsession to me?

I’ve been a loyal Chanel customer for years. I find Hermes a little intimidating in the past, so I got my first K through a personal shopper. I’ve been watching YouTube videos and been reading posts here and few months ago, I started my Hermes journey. I’ve been to the store twice and I instantly notice the difference when it comes to customer service. I find SA’s at Hermes more welcoming and gives more personalized shopping experience. They are not pushy and are not only friendly just because you’ll be purchasing their bags. They talk to you about almost anything under the sun. Quality is also great, bags are well-made, designs are subtle and very elegant and I also consider their products as a work of art.

I’ve been a loyal Chanel customer for years. I find Hermes a little intimidating in the past, so I got my first K through a personal shopper. I’ve been watching YouTube videos and been reading posts here and few months ago, I started my Hermes journey. I’ve been to the store twice and I instantly notice the difference when it comes to customer service. I find SA’s at Hermes more welcoming and gives more personalized shopping experience. They are not pushy and are not only friendly just because you’ll be purchasing their bags. They talk to you about almost anything under the sun. Quality is also great, bags are well-made, designs are subtle and very elegant and I also consider their products as a work of art.

The way I read this is, because of what you had learnt by looking at the internet, you expected to find that entering an Hermes store to shop would be intimidating. However in reality you found that in reality this was not the case - in fact quite the opposite.
By adding your post you might help a lot of others by setting the record straight.

We reap what we sow. If we go in with a pleasant, respectful demeanour we get a good experience.

I adore the quality of Hermes. Even though I don't own a Hermes bag, I am addicted to their small leather goods. I want the bag to be a shield for the heavenly collection inside. So, any bag would do. However, when I take a key case, or a card case, or an agenda, it just has to be special for me. Hermes and Bottega Veneta are all my pouches, phone cases, coin purses, lanyards for keys, pouches for cards, ID, post-it notes have their own Hermes pouches, large and small LOL. A colourful world living inside a soft felt organizer, and looking from the outside you would never tell. The feeling I have when I take some from any one of them is priceless.IMG_0153.JPGP1200044.JPG

I own luxury bags but I've never been interested in the Birkin/Kelly or pretty much anything Hermes. A brand's look needs to match your style and that just isn't Hermes for me. I have a friend who has been trying to get her hand on a Birkin/Kelly for a while now and has probably spent about $15K+ at Hermes over the past year in the hopes that she gets one. That alone has turned me off from Hermes as a brand. Seems like a toxic relationship with a guy you like who just won't commit LOL My friend tells me that one day I will understand and will want a Birkin/Kelly as well. I own Chanel and that is THRILLING for me haha can someone explain to me what the big deal with Birkin/Kelly is? *not trying to offend anybody's love for Hermes
I’m not there yet either but I’m trying to see the appeal apart from status.

I purchased my first B in 2008 from a PurseForum recommended vendor- a pre-loved 35cm bag. I loved it because I travel and it suited my lifestyle so well. It was also tough as nails- Ardennes leather. I sold it in 2011 because of a life crisis and although I never loved the color, I did love the bag.
The main reason: NO LOGO and impeccable quality. The trend in fashion with big logos all over the bag is a turn off. I know I sound old, but why would I pay to blatantly advertise a product? The push for slow fashion- higher quality /less purchases aligns with my philosophy, as does family owned business, artisan craftsmanship, and developing relationships.
Do I think the Birkin is the best bag in existence? no...Do I love the consistency of the Hermes product? Yes. Do I love how they stand by their product? Yes. Could I live without some of the pretentious- sure...but like many of the posters on this thread, I have a SA that is wonderful, warm, and always a pleasure to see.
The Birkin obsession is personal to everyone, and to me its a hugely functional bag, that is always in style, that has NO LOGO's, with a certain element of 'challenge' to acquire it, and with care a few spa visits, will last my lifetime. While I don't view handbags as investment (despite the study that has been endless quoted) I can say that in cost per use its a grand slam.

Almost everyone praises Hermes quality. Please bear with my question because I never touched a Hermes bag, therefore I would like to know what makes the quality of Hermes bags so outstanding? Is it der accuracy of the stitchings? The thickness of the leather? Do you just have to feel the bag?

The way I read this is, because of what you had learnt by looking at the internet, you expected to find that entering an Hermes store to shop would be intimidating. However in reality you found that in reality this was not the case - in fact quite the opposite.
By adding your post you might help a lot of others by setting the record straight.

We reap what we sow. If we go in with a pleasant, respectful demeanour we get a good experience.
If only...
Several times in different boutiques I have made the experience that they "screen" you and only if you give them the "fits into our wealthy target group" you will get good service, otherwise you get cold treatment and not even get a chance to interact nicely because you are being ignored. But it differs a lot between different locations.

If only...
Several times in different boutiques I have made the experience that they "screen" you and only if you give them the "fits into our wealthy target group" you will get good service, otherwise you get cold treatment and not even get a chance to interact nicely because you are being ignored. But it differs a lot between different locations.

I would not disagree with that. Experiences will vary from place to place and person to person.

If only...
I have only bought scarves, not even a 90, but a 45 and a 70 for a total of about $500. And both times I was treated nicely, with attentiveness and not rushed. I was also shown bags (not K or B because I didn’t ask), even though I was only just looking and not buying anything but a scarf. I was dressed in jeans and a sweater both times, tidy and pulled together but not fancy. And the SA raved over the Le Pliage I wore which I wore because it was raining...again, quality but not fancy or expensive.

I never got the feeling I was being judged or qualified by anyone there, but then again I was there to have a good buying experience, did not talk down to anyone, nor did I have an agenda. Both times I wanted a scarf and I got a scarf, but I also saw some other items I was curious about. Not once did I feel unwelcome, and I was in sales and marketing for over 25 years, so I know when I am not welcome. Please, do not prejudge...you want that courtesy, so give that courtesy.

Almost everyone praises Hermes quality. Please bear with my question because I never touched a Hermes bag, therefore I would like to know what makes the quality of Hermes bags so outstanding? Is it der accuracy of the stitchings? The thickness of the leather? Do you just have to feel the bag?

The stitches are not perfect, and that speaks to the quality of the bags. They are hand made with the best materials around, and the brand stands behind their product. You can bring your bag back to Hermes to get repaired (at a cost) and they will make an older bag shine again.

There is a great 40 minute video somewhere that takes you behind the scenes and shows you how the ateliers are trained and how they work.

If quality and craftsmanship (and I agree on this count re H) were the only reasons for the Birkin/Kelly obsession, the obsession would extend to other classics that are even older (the Bolide), as complex in terms of craftmanship or as pricey (the Plume). But it doesn’t. These two bags combine all the highly attractive elements of the H brand (craftsmanship, quality, service for the bag’s lifetime, exclusivity, price...) with the fact that they are very recognizable (and thus became iconic). At least this is what I think (no judgment).

Last edited:
If quality and craftsmanship (and I agree on this count re H) were the only reasons for the Birkin/Kelly obsession, the obsession would extend to other classics that are even older (the Bolide), as complex in terms of craftmanship or as pricey (the Plume). But it doesn’t. These two bags combine all the highly attractive elements of the H brand (craftsmanship, quality, service for the bag’s lifetime, exclusivity, price...) with the fact that they are very recognizable (and thus became iconic). At least this is what I think (no judgmenet).
+1