Burberry trench care

Chimel

May 2, 2014
So I'm annoyed with Burberry. I had bought a trench coat two years ago and I was told by the store that when cleaning the coat that it would need to be processed in a special manner by the Burberry store. The sales associate said confirmed that I could take it to any store to have it cleaned. While vacationing with a friend, another store confirmed this recently. When I called my local store in West Hollywood, they were so unknowledgeable about coat care. I had a simple question, "what are the steps to take care of my Burberry trench coat?"
They sell these coats all the time, why do they not know?
They told me to take the cost to a "reputable" dry cleaner but didn't have any recommendations. They said any dry cleaner would do. To be sure, I asked the store if I need to ask the dry cleaners for special instructions on dry cleaning so I don't ruin the waterproofing. The person I spoke to, Juan, said "the dry cleaners should know."

I feel frustrated that I bought such an expensive (but lovely) coat only to risk it getting ruined because there isn't a set protocol or safe recommendation.

Do any of you have any recommendations or special instructions?

My SA said to me honestly that they don't suggest/recommend any dry cleaners just incase the dry cleaners mess up your coat and Burberry doesn't want to be held liable.

If the gabardine coating (water resistant layer that causes water to form droplets and roll off) is worn off your coat take it to your store and request for Reproofing- they'll restore the layer AND dry clean for you (for a fee, I think it's less than $100)

But if the layer is still there you'll just need to take it to a trust dry cleaners by you. If they know what they're doing they will cover the buttons with foil so that the chemicals don't crack them, and you should receive the trench coat back good as new.

If the dry cleaners do mess it up (touch wood) then get a written statement explaining the damage they've done and take it to Burberry to see how much ££ the dry cleaners are liable for!

Hopefully you'll find a nice SA, most of the time they're not clueless- just underpaid and probably frustrated to work in retail given certain demanding and rude clients. I have a good relationship with mine and she'll bend over backwards with any issues/queries I have!

Hope this helps

Reactions: MotoChiq
I've hand washed my cotton trench in hand warm water (not in hot water) with colour washing powder by Ariel. I used waterproofing spray designed for garments afterwards.

This is an older thread, but I just stopped by my Burberry store in the DC area on Friday, and they told me that they would clean my trench for $100. I did not ask them whether that included reproofing. They said it would take about a week. They also recommended a dry cleaners nearby, but I may bite the bullet and pay them the $100. I'm guessing if anything goes wrong they would replace the coat whereas there is no telling with the dry cleaners! I will report back on the experience when I get around to taking the coat in.

I have two heritage trench coats and I too thought Burberry would dry clean them, but they don’t. I’ve brought my coats to my regular dry cleaner and she did a great job
On them and really loves to see my high end items lol and strives to keep them looking great lol

Attachments

• E1531389-1FC4-4EA2-9DE3-99D7E49FD26E.jpeg
    E1531389-1FC4-4EA2-9DE3-99D7E49FD26E.jpeg
    129.5 KB · Views: 2,056
The last two comments are conflicting. Perhaps it depends on one's area? I also live in the DC area, so I'll check with the store to see about the dry cleaning service. Although $100 is steep, you're right they would be liable (I hope!). One of my trenches got lemonade on it not too long ago. Since they'e somewhat water resistant, it didn't seem to soak through. By the time I got home I couldn't find any markings and it wasn't sticky at all, so I didn't do anything about it. Anyone else notice the same with their trench being liquid resistant?

I know that Burberry now offer appointments (in the UK) for repairing or refreshing your trench coat, as well as offering services for repairing sneakers, bags, etc - has anyone used this service?