British terminology? What is a vest?

A vest is like underwear, you can wear them in bed or underneath a jumper when it is cold. However a 'Vest top' (sleeveless t-shirt type) is worn in summer with jeans or skirt etc! Well thats what I say and I am in the UK!

Fanny bags/packs!........everytime they say that on american tv i giggle to myself!

This thread is getting hilarious. :lol:

socialite your post made me think of this:

cameltoecup.jpg

^ Now THAT IS FUNNY!!!!! Ha!!! Must get one!!!! Ha!!!

Now my turn on the vest thing!

In the UK - a:-

VEST is a sleeveless top that is worn under clothes.
VEST TOP is a sleeveless (Normally spaghetti strap) top that can be worn under jumpers or on its own in the summer.
TANK TOP is a sleeveless KNITTED top that is worn over shirts
WAISTCOAT is the sleeveless buttoned thing that men wear over shirts and in a 3 piece suit.

A vest is the tank top style underwear that I wore under clothes when I was a child lol!

A vest top/cami/tank top are what you just call tanks.

And what you call a vest, like a puffer coat without sleeves...that can be called a gilet here. I just call it vest though.

Also...a waistcoat, that buttons is what some girls wear or what men can wear along with suits. Do you call waistcoats vests?

I love that we all have different interpretations of what a vest is! Its great!

Its like pants! In the UK, pants mean big knickers (the kind of thing our hubbies wear lol), yet in europe and the states, pants are trousers!

Dont even get me started on the fanny bags etc lol ;)

Really? I'm from Manchester and I call trousers pants most of the time. I just call knickers that no matter what size they are LOL!