Bottega Veneta - purchase in-store or online?

Pennypen

Sep 16, 2019
Hi!

I'm about to purchase my first BV, a mini Jodie :heart: but I'm not sure if I should order online or purchase from the store.

Do you have any recommendations, pros/cons of either? I live in Madrid.

Thankful for any advice!

The only thing I can think of is it is probably preferable to visit a boutique and try your new bag on to be sure it’s the bag of your dreams.
I’m not sure if you have a boutique close to you, but that would be the route I would take.
BV only offers store credit for any returns!

I really hope you find “your” dream” bag and enjoy it. :smile::smile::smile:

Reactions: jbags07
The only thing I can think of is it is probably preferable to visit a boutique and try your new bag on to be sure it’s the bag of your dreams.
I’m not sure if you have a boutique close to you, but that would be the route I would take.
BV only offers store credit for any returns!

I really hope you find “your” dream” bag and enjoy it. :smile::smile::smile:

Thanks so much! There is a store here in Madrid and it makes sense to purchase from there to be sure I can inspect it beforehand too :smile: But do you know what the policy is in case something gets damaged/breaks?

No, sorry I do not.
I assume they will make it right for you.
I just want to make sure you get the right bag and are wonderfully happy with the bag you decide upon.
Sometimes, that’s just not possible going through the internet route.

In the United States, I want to say both the boutiques and online shops offer full refunds. I know the online shop does. The boutiques may only ofer full refund for 7 days.

I've ordered from both, and service and quality have been the same. Online, the item comes in a box and nicely packaged. Because it's online, you might take comfort in the fact that your item hasn't been handled by customers.

In the boutique, the item can be packaged in box also (I don't care for that since I am trying to reduce paper I use--my SA shudders that I don't even really want a bag.) The stock may not be as large so it's possible your item may have been handled more. The plus side of that is that your item may already have softened somewhat.

One nice thing about the boutique is the chance to develop a relationship with an SA. Then you might get photos of new bags and have the chance to score a hard-to-get piece. I have a lovely relationship with Carmel BV and the service and thoughtfulness of the team there is really wonderful.

In either case, if something happens to the bag, you can go a boutique to see about repair. BV stands behind their products and is good about repair or replacement, depending on the issue.

In the United States, I want to say both the boutiques and online shops offer full refunds. I know the online shop does. The boutiques may only ofer full refund for 7 days.

I've ordered from both, and service and quality have been the same. Online, the item comes in a box and nicely packaged. Because it's online, you might take comfort in the fact that your item hasn't been handled by customers.

In the boutique, the item can be packaged in box also (I don't care for that since I am trying to reduce paper I use--my SA shudders that I don't even really want a bag.) The stock may not be as large so it's possible your item may have been handled more. The plus side of that is that your item may already have softened somewhat.

One nice thing about the boutique is the chance to develop a relationship with an SA. Then you might get photos of new bags and have the chance to score a hard-to-get piece. I have a lovely relationship with Carmel BV and the service and thoughtfulness of the team there is really wonderful.

In either case, if something happens to the bag, you can go a boutique to see about repair. BV stands behind their products and is good about repair or replacement, depending on the issue.

That's amazing!! Thank you so much for taking the time to share all that info! Very helpful :smile: Now I feel more comfortable purchasing both online or in store.

I will check the stock in store here in Madrid, if they only have one or two I think I'll go with purchasing online so I know I get a completely new one that hasn't been handled by other customers. Thanks again!!

Reactions: RT1
I will check the stock in store here in Madrid, if they only have one or two I think I'll go with purchasing online so I know I get a completely new one that hasn't been handled by other customers. Thanks again!!

You've received great advice already, but I'll add this, anyway. I think there are definite benefits to shopping at the boutique. If you're already going to be shopping at the boutique in Madrid, I'd say if you find something you like and are happy with the condition, then just get it! Or, you can also ask whether they have another one in stock that has not been displayed. Typically the boutiques don't have enough shelf space to show everything, so they might well have different colors and additional stock of the displayed items. Sometimes even the displayed items have not been handled much, if at all (for example, I've had a salesperson tell me that they had just changed their display, or that they sold a particular display piece and the one on display had just arrived in-store).

I've had the issue go both ways, with BV and other stores. I once had a department store ship me a bag that had obvious signs of use, so I had to return it to the department store and wait for an exchange to arrive. I know that this was unusual, but if I had the choice to see and buy in person, I would much prefer it because of that experience.

I've also bought displayed BVs from the boutique because they were in perfect condition and did not feel like they had been handled. And, when the boutique had more than one in stock and I was not happy with taking the display piece, my salesperson allowed me to compare it with another piece in-store and select the one that I wanted.

The Madrid boutique also might also be able to obtain a bag from another boutique in your region, so that you can inspect it before committing to purchase it, if you don't see it on display. They are there to assist you!

Good luck, whichever way you decide!

You've received great advice already, but I'll add this, anyway. I think there are definite benefits to shopping at the boutique. If you're already going to be shopping at the boutique in Madrid, I'd say if you find something you like and are happy with the condition, then just get it! Or, you can also ask whether they have another one in stock that has not been displayed. Typically the boutiques don't have enough shelf space to show everything, so they might well have different colors and additional stock of the displayed items. Sometimes even the displayed items have not been handled much, if at all (for example, I've had a salesperson tell me that they had just changed their display, or that they sold a particular display piece and the one on display had just arrived in-store).

I've had the issue go both ways, with BV and other stores. I once had a department store ship me a bag that had obvious signs of use, so I had to return it to the department store and wait for an exchange to arrive. I know that this was unusual, but if I had the choice to see and buy in person, I would much prefer it because of that experience.

I've also bought displayed BVs from the boutique because they were in perfect condition and did not feel like they had been handled. And, when the boutique had more than one in stock and I was not happy with taking the display piece, my salesperson allowed me to compare it with another piece in-store and select the one that I wanted.

The Madrid boutique also might also be able to obtain a bag from another boutique in your region, so that you can inspect it before committing to purchase it, if you don't see it on display. They are there to assist you!

Good luck, whichever way you decide!

Thank you so much for this advice! I would definitely have preferred to purchase in store, can also see the benefits... I went to the Madrid store to check and they only had one bag in store, which was damaged, and according to the SA the color I wanted (Cipria) is sold out in Europe. It was even sold out online. However I checked online the other day and they received a return so I quickly placed the order. Should receive it tomorrow. Hope it's in perfect condition, especially since it was probably a return :smile: Thanks again for the help!!

Reactions: RT1 and JenJBS