Best Jewelry Decisions You've Ever Made?

Just discovering this thread, but here are mine:
  • If it's not exactly what I want, ask. The worst I'll get is a no, but most of the time, jewelers are happy to oblige and use gold instead of silver or swap stones or they'll suggest alternatives if not feasible.
  • Not eschewing classic pieces despite my quirky tastes. Classics are incredibly versatile and there are so many nuances to jewelry that can make a simple piece personal. One of my best purchases is a diamond station necklace. While I can make it look simple when needed, I often layer it. There's also a star cutout on the back of each setting that makes it more to my taste. I'm looking at diamond studs and there's so many variations, from the cuts to the settings to the prongs. It's a matter of finding what suits me.
So true! I've neen eyeing a station necklace....

Reactions: CashmereFiend
Best jewelry decisions ever :

* Buying as a gift to myself a WG small Cartier clash ring for my 40th birthday last September, even if my then partner thought I was mad “giving (my) money to those wretched Cartier people” (never understood why he hated the brand so much)

* When he left last December, selling (almost) all the jewellery he gave my during our 8 years of living together to get a beautiful eternity ring (Began a thread about what I call my “revenge ring”, don’t know how to link it here but thanks again to all the fabulous TPFers who showEd support)

* Keeping only one thing he gave me : my tiny diamonds studs. I wear them everyday and as I can’t see them all day long like I can see my rings, they don’t remind me of him.

1)My Graff DIF marquise I never get tired of, although I may upgrade it for a larger one in the future, over 2cts.

2)All of my blue diamond jewellery is worth far more than I paid for it.

3)I love my DIF studs, but have had them 10 years and want larger DFL ones, but have other projects atm.

4)I’m resetting a family heirloom back into platinum(which was how it started)- I can’t wait to have it back..

My diamond stud earring. I wear them continuously best money I’ve ever spent
I’m jealous! I bought mine thinking they would be my everyday earrings but I find I don’t reach for them that much :sad: . The size is perfect for me (1cttw) because I have thin earlobes but although I love the way they look I reach for other earrings more often. I spent a lot for them and they sit in my jewelry box! It’s true I go through phases and maybe right now I’m more into dangly earrings right now and I might revert to wearing studs more often.

I’m jealous! I bought mine thinking they would be my everyday earrings but I find I don’t reach for them that much :sad: . The size is perfect for me (1cttw) because I have thin earlobes but although I love the way they look I reach for other earrings more often. I spent a lot for them and they sit in my jewelry box! It’s true I go through phases and maybe right now I’m more into dangly earrings right now and I might revert to wearing studs more often.
Initially I was wearing my smaller studs and diamond butterflies but
Initially I was wearing my smaller YG studs and diamond butterflies but decided not to save them for special occasions and put them on. Now I wear daily and take off weekly to clean. I find they look great with everything so really no need to change.

I think my best jewelry decision was finding a jeweler that I like and trust. After we purchased my eternity band, I went back for special events and trunk shows and have continued to purchase items (after I was introduced to the stacking concept). I've been rewarded with a 20% discount on everything I buy.
That's great that you have that good relationship!!!

My two carat diamond stud ear rings with locking backs (wear them always) and my one carat diamond solitaire pendant are my favorite pieces. I wear them with everything! And, on weekends, my diamond stacking rings (so comfy, so sparkly)

Reactions: missie1
My best decision is to not buy anything at full retail price. Pretty much every designer piece I've bought I've found being resold, for anywhere between 30-60% off the retail price, and the pre-loved pieces have all looked brand new when I received them. You can also negotiate with mom and pop jewelers as well.

Other good decisions....

Trying on in the store before buying online (especially if you're buying resale / estate and can't return them). The pieces I regret buying have all been ones I didn't try on in person first.

Mixing my mother's vintage jewelry from early 1970s Greece and Italy in with my contemporary designer pieces. In all honesty, her pieces get more compliments than any contemporary designer piece I have.