Beat Up Bags 2023 Trend is Very Hermès

A little wear is one thing but the kind of damaged shown in that first photo is just silly.

Three types of people would go around wearing a severely damaged bag: 1. someone who can afford to buy a brand new one but it is still wearing the old one to "show" that they don't care, in a sort of rich-kid version of rebellious defiance of convention; 2. someone who spent as much as they could afford to get that bag and are going to get every danged penny's worth out of it thank you very much; and, 3. someone who is gratefully hopping on this trend because a junked up bag was all they could afford.

The first reminds me of some of the kids I knew in the 80s who were attracted to punk and got their punk-rock outfits at a store in the mall like it was some kind of costume they wore on weekends. The last reminds me of the kids who wore Member's Only jackets in really ugly colors or that were faded and that they got from a thrift store because they so desperately wanted to be in on a trend that they couldn't otherwise afford.

Well, if handbag companies start selling their bags "pre-worn" like brands do with holes already in jeans, I'm officially giving up. I'll just make my own bags.

I 100% agree that this is NOT good for resale values. I think it is foolish to buy a damaged bag as it won't last that long, and if prices go any farther up than they already are . . . it's just madness.
Bravo!

Just try selling a 'beaten-up' bag for the price of a 'Mint' one on account of its fashionability :biggrin:

I hope the fashion will encourage more people to wear and enjoy whichever H bags they have.
Hopefully people afraid to wear their bags, asking all the time about how to maintain the structure, etc., will appreciate a good floop. I know I do!

. . . I’m very happy to allow my other bags to soften and age gracefully . . .
Me too. I agree. Soften and age gracefully. Exactly when a bag really starts feeling like yours and not a show-room model.

Letting a bag age gracefully is good. Abusing it is not good. That bag in the first photo was, I'm afraid, less Jackie O (gracefully aged) and more Keith Richards (used and abused).

Ehh, there is probably a market for everything. Look at those "destroyed" Balenciaga sneakers that were released as LE last year *shrug*
I don't agree with the post about ripped jeans being the same. I wear distressed denim all the time..with any H bag.
I think that the K that the Olsen twins have looks like it's been dragged behind a vehicle. It's just a bit sad. I mean, yes these bags are crafted to last for a long time and be used...but a damaged look is not for me personally.

Reactions: tinkerbell68
Hello loves,

Very interesting read from Coveteur about beat up luxury bags becoming a new trend for 2023 and spotlight is on Hermès. Here’s the link: https://coveteur.com/beat-up-handbag-trend

I know it might be an unpopular opinion but I’ve always loved the aesthetic of a beat up kelly and birkin, even on a lindy. I don’t appreciate a beat up bag in other bags and other brands though but with Hermès bags, I’ve always loved the look. In all honesty, I think a beat up look in a birkin or a kelly doesn’t make it less of a classic than it already is.View attachment 5704994

I am a proud owner of beat up Hermès bags and I think this is a good read for people who get anxious with carrying their Hermès bags in fear that they mess with its pristine condition.

Here’s my two most beat up bags, a kelly 32 in box and a lindy 34 in clemence with scratches, tears, splitting, rubbing, and popped stitches that I still wear regardless:View attachment 5704995View attachment 5704996View attachment 5704997

I hope you wear your beat up bags proudly, too!
Thank you for posting the article. Very much enjoy that sort of thing. LOL
Of course it’s not a new ‘trend’ as such. I think a vintage bag can look amazing but not if it’s gets to the point where it just looks dirty!
there is a balance to be found somewhere between the sadist who enjoys ‘destroying’ a bag and the uptight one who inspects their bag with a microscope for real or imaginary ‘defects’. As much as I try to be in the live and let live category. (attached photo of a beautiful influencer - she is a dentist as well- and her vintage kelly. I think if you are young and beautiful, absolutely everything looks good) B8E0FCDF-A20F-4E39-BAD6-670E0108B120.jpeg

I think the title is misleading. As I read the article, it suggests well-worn and used, not the really bad condition bags shown in the photos. The article title chooses extremist words to deceive impressionable people to support a gimmick it is attempting to promote. There is a major distinction between the appeal of an old quality bag that has been well used and a bag in need of repair.
Bags with ripped leather and torn seams are not the same as the attractive vintage bags with character that so many established contributors to this forum have collected over the years.

I think the title is misleading. As I read the article, it suggests well-worn and used, not the really bad condition bags shown in the photos. The article title chooses extremist words to deceive impressionable people to support a gimmick it is attempting to promote. There is a major distinction between the appeal of an old quality bag that has been well used and a bag in need of repair.
Bags with ripped leather and torn seams are not the same as the attractive vintage bags with character that so many established contributors to this forum have collected over the years.
I read through this thread while simultaneously crafting my reponse but you beat me to it @WhiteBus ! A well-loved bag is a wonderful thing but a ‘broken’ bag should be repaired not celebrated. I’d imagine that the crafts people who spend days carefully creating beautiful H bags would want and expect that the bags be used and loved and repaired when necessary. I’ll also add that these bags are incredibly well constructed and need not be ‘babied’…they should be used but not abused.