Beat Up Bags 2023 Trend is Very Hermès

hermesgeek

May 3, 2020
Hello loves,

Very interesting read from Coveteur about beat up luxury bags becoming a new trend for 2023 and spotlight is on Hermès. Here’s the link: https://coveteur.com/beat-up-handbag-trend

I know it might be an unpopular opinion but I’ve always loved the aesthetic of a beat up kelly and birkin, even on a lindy. I don’t appreciate a beat up bag in other bags and other brands though but with Hermès bags, I’ve always loved the look. In all honesty, I think a beat up look in a birkin or a kelly doesn’t make it less of a classic than it already is.BA915E42-DCE9-4171-81B8-29D83EF02B63.jpeg

I am a proud owner of beat up Hermès bags and I think this is a good read for people who get anxious with carrying their Hermès bags in fear that they mess with its pristine condition.

Here’s my two most beat up bags, a kelly 32 in box and a lindy 34 in clemence with scratches, tears, splitting, rubbing, and popped stitches that I still wear regardless:3BF7AE4A-AE92-4291-BF03-5AA501568704.jpeg149A2A57-E7BA-4739-AA9B-31566079AD1A.jpeg0CEA806F-C9C6-448D-A317-6ED6A466F10A.jpeg

I hope you wear your beat up bags proudly, too!

My worry for these type of articles is that it may lead to even more shenanigans RE pricing. If its a trend to carry a beaten up Kelly then watch the prices go nuts for something that's damaged. I remember 10 years ago here where I live, a pristine vintage Kelly was 5000 euros max, and a used vintage with some slight scuffing would have been 2000. Those were the days! I love a slouchy relaxed vibe, especially with Birkins. Your bags are beautiful @hermesgeek but I must admit I don't love the Olsen look. It's too much, seems disrespectful and obnoxious to me. Theres a difference between lived a fun life and been through the wars like theirs :lol: I do love the lived in look though, better than the instagram constant parade of new show bags we see.

A little wear is one thing but the kind of damaged shown in that first photo is just silly.

Three types of people would go around wearing a severely damaged bag: 1. someone who can afford to buy a brand new one but it is still wearing the old one to "show" that they don't care, in a sort of rich-kid version of rebellious defiance of convention; 2. someone who spent as much as they could afford to get that bag and are going to get every danged penny's worth out of it thank you very much; and, 3. someone who is gratefully hopping on this trend because a junked up bag was all they could afford.

The first reminds me of some of the kids I knew in the 80s who were attracted to punk and got their punk-rock outfits at a store in the mall like it was some kind of costume they wore on weekends. The last reminds me of the kids who wore Member's Only jackets in really ugly colors or that were faded and that they got from a thrift store because they so desperately wanted to be in on a trend that they couldn't otherwise afford.

Well, if handbag companies start selling their bags "pre-worn" like brands do with holes already in jeans, I'm officially giving up. I'll just make my own bags.

I 100% agree that this is NOT good for resale values. I think it is foolish to buy a damaged bag as it won't last that long, and if prices go any farther up than they already are . . . it's just madness.

I like well worn and loved bags that have developed patina, and have become scuffed and slouchy through use over the years. I’m always fascinated when I see a well worn luxury bag as it has a history and has been places.

It’s the term ‘beaten up’ that doesn’t sit well with me because it conveys a nonchalant, lack of appreciation or care for one’s belongings. I get that a bag is a bag, just as a coat is merely a coat to be worn, and not fretted about, but anyone who has had to earn their own money (rather than inherited) will know the value of items and how fortunate we are to afford luxury items that deserve not to be thrown about. We’d previously say “thrown about like something disposable…” but these days even one-time use disposable items are not acceptable, for a number of reasons, including the sourcing of these beautiful leathers and materials.

Also, trends are marketing, invented by someone to make something sell. This one likely coined by resellers and the pre-loved market to sell the bags in less than good condition in an economic climate where a lot of people are finding the prices of the better condition pre-loved items too expensive and not taking the plunge so maybe after they’ve read an article like this, they may opt for a ‘beaten up’ bag that would otherwise not get sold.

Well, if handbag companies start selling their bags "pre-worn" like brands do with holes already in jeans, I'm officially giving up. I'll just make my own bags.
My thought too, that would just be awful. Patina isn't holes in the leather on the corner or a handle falling apart. If the economy is so bad that people cant' afford to take the bags to the spa anymore, we are in real trouble!

Last edited:
I like well worn and loved bags that have developed patina, and have become scuffed and slouchy through use over the years. I’m always fascinated when I see a well worn luxury bag as it has a history and has been places.

It’s the term ‘beaten up’ that doesn’t sit well with me because it conveys a nonchalant, lack of appreciation or care for one’s belongings. I get that a bag is a bag, just as a coat is merely a coat to be worn, and not fretted about, but anyone who has had to earn their own money (rather than inherited) will know the value of items and how fortunate we are to afford luxury items that deserve not to be thrown about. We’d previously say “thrown about like something disposable…” but these days even one-time use disposable items are not acceptable, for a number of reasons, including the sourcing of these beautiful leathers and materials.
Fully agree.

My Victoria is worn at the corners and slouchy to the point of collapse after years of travelling with it as an under the radar everyday bag. Not long after I began collecting H I picked up a vintage Jige in Gold (not sure what the leather is!) that had clearly been loved and well-used by its one previous owner and I still pull it out from time to time today. I love its patina.

I can’t quite bring myself to let my first Kelly get beaten up (also my first H bag so lots of sentiment at play here!), and my Verrous will never be allowed to become worn. Worn out bags for evening? No thanks. But I’m very happy to allow my other bags to soften and age gracefully and I try to select leathers accordingly.

We can only hope that H never introduces a “distressed” B/K…

My thought too, that would just be awful. Patina isn't holes in the leather on the corner corners or a handle falling apart. If the economy is so bad that people cant' afford to take the bags to the spa anymore, we are in real trouble!
I can see them making a bag that looks beaten up but I would hope that most luxury brands take too much pride in the craftsmanship of their pieces to slash and damage them.

Lol I was just thinking that Ms Olsen could definitely afford to send that bag to the spa.

Reactions: maxroxxherhandbags
My first Hermès bag was my Rouge H Kelly purchased in around 1990 for the grand sum of £250 from a reputable vintage dealer that I knew.
Why was it so cheap? well it was (and actually still is!) in pretty awful condition.
Cracking,a badly worn handle which I haven't replaced because the body of the bag is so worn that a brand new handle would look 'wrong' and actually Hermes themselves told me as much when I took the bag to chat about having a replacement padlock and clochette .
Why did I buy it? I brought it because I dreamed of owning a Kelly and that one was at a price I could afford and I guess I fell in love.
I didn't think it was particularly cool walking around with such a battered bag but I didn't purchase it to be a trend setter I purchased it because it meant at last I had my very own Hermes Kelly and had given it a new life.
I still have it and do wear it occasionally (using twilly's to support its poor rotten handle..although I prefer my bags naked).
I find it funny that battered H bags have become a 'trend' and I've noticed the insane prices (over £3500) that sellers are asking for bags in worse condition than mine with tears on the panels (thankfully mine has no rips).
I think the reason the Olsens get away with it is because everyone knows they are extremely wealthy so it becomes a kind of ironic statement.
My personal take on this trend when worn by the wealthy and 'influencers' is that its a kind of backlash against the endless unboxing's seen on social media and certainly in the areas I frequent in London I see many more new looking K 28's/25's and minis and Birkin 30 and below than I ever do well used battered Hermes bags.
I also wonder in this world of fakes and super-fakes its a way of saying 'this is real' even though of course Hermes fakes have been around since the 80's or earlier.
I do love the idea of someone wearing a well used well loved bag that belonged to their mother or grandmother (I have my Mothers old Gucci and Launer bags and a Dior, all well used..I only carry the dior bowling bag however) BUT I hate the idea of someone paying thousands for a torn bag

Last edited:
I love the beat up look of bags and hope that my birkins get to that point some day. I use them everyday and for every occasion. The second week I had my new birkin I was riding a bike and had it in the basket, I had a small accident and the bag flew out and I rode the bike over it lol. My DH was so mad but I figured it was just starting the wearing in process faster :lol: I didn't buy the bags to ever re-sell so I am not worried about that.

My first Hermès bag was my Rouge H Kelly purchased in around 1990 for the grand sum of £250 from a reputable vintage dealer that I knew.
Why was it so cheap? well it was (and actually still is!) in pretty awful condition.
Cracking,a badly worn handle which I haven't replaced because the body of the bag is so worn that a brand new handle would look 'wrong' and actually Hermes themselves told me as much when I took the bag to chat about having a replacement padlock and clochette .
Why did I buy it? I brought it because I dreamed of owning a Kelly and that one was at a price I could afford and I guess I fell in love.
I didn't think it was particularly cool walking around with such a battered bag but I didn't purchase it to be a trend setter I purchased it because it meant at last I had my very own Hermes Kelly and had given it a new life.
I still have it and do wear it occasionally (using twilly's to support its poor rotten handle..although I prefer my bags naked).
I find it funny that battered H bags have become a 'trend' and I've noticed the insane prices (over £3500) that sellers are asking for bags in worse condition than mine with tears on the panels (thankfully mine has no rips).
I think the reason the Olsens get away with it is because everyone knows they are extremely wealthy so it becomes a kind of ironic statement.
My personal take on this trend when worn by the wealthy and 'influencers' is that its a kind of backlash against the endless unboxing's seen on social media and certainly in the areas I frequent in London I see many more new looking K 28's/25's and minis and Birkin 30 and below than I ever do well used battered Hermes bags.
I also wonder in this world of fakes and super-fakes its a way of saying 'this is real' even though of course Hermes fakes have been around since the 80's or earlier.
I do love the idea of someone wearing a well used well loved bag that belonged to their mother or grandmother (I have my Mothers old Gucci and Launer bags and a Dior, all well used..I only carry the dior bowling bag however) BUT I hate the idea of someone paying thousands for a torn bag
I love your story about your very first Hermès bag and the purpose you bought it for. I’m happy to know you still use it too despite its condition.

Personally, I don’t feel anything towards the Olsen twins or anyone wearing their Kelly’s that way. I mean good for them they still wear the bag despite it falling apart as long as it works for them.

While reading this article by Coveteur, the only thing going through my mind was that this might open other people’s eyes to see it’s okay if you wear something that isn’t in pristine condition, fair condition even. I say this because I sort of have been bag shamed by a friend’s friend who didn’t know I’ve been an Hermès collector since my grandmother gave me my first kelly (the 2nd and 3rd photo on my original post) in my collegiate years. Though my grandmother gave it to me brand new, it has developed scratches, tears, splitting, popped stitches, etc in the 35 years I’ve had it with me (I mean I take care of my bags but it’s inevitable with box leather if you really use it) We were in the farmers market and that friend’s friend made a comment about how she loved my bag but said I should retire it in the closet or have it repaired as the scratches and tears are an eyesore after babbling about how she’s frustrated at her Hermès SA because she hasn’t gotten her kelly yet despite spending “tons” of money as she’d said. Needless to say, my friend put her in her place and shut her up and that’s the first and last time I’ve been with her. Of course on my part, I didn’t say anything and just smiled back.

But yes, at least for me I don’t mind how ever one uses their bag because I’m sure behind it is a story personal to them. Don’t get me wrong I love a pristine looking box kelly, too. I mean I keep my least used kelly (a noir box) in the closet and just stare at its beauty from time to time.

All my bags are in “new” condition despite being used and me not worrying over scratches. I buy to use/wear not to store on a shelf. That being said, my daughter will inherit my bags in the not to distant future, so I wonder how she would feel taking possession of my “used” bags. They won’t be in a beaten up state just used. Personally the over over used/beaten up style isn’t for me. Scratches, scuffs and broken thread is completely acceptable.

Reactions: ladysarah