Barcelona, Pros and Cons....And Should I purchase Oat Color?

momshj

Feb 6, 2017
I now decided on Loewe instead of Hermes for my day bag. I am not in love with The Puzzle but did fall head over heels for The Barcelona. Any people here that can give me their review.... pros/cons? I am thinking of the Oat color for spring/summer and hoping it stays clean.

I had a grained leather one briefly but now have the classic boxcalf one in mink.

Assuming you're eyeing the grained one, my personal opinion would be

Pros:
1. Aesthetics of course, as low key as Loewe is, I like how the barcelona is even more low key and unrecognizable
2. Two strap options
3. Very roomy, i was surprised that my small water bottle fit in there, haven't tried a kindle as i dont own one but apparently kindles could fit in there too
4. Back pocket that comes in handy
5. Quite light for a full leather bag of this size
6. Hardy grained leather, should hide any scratches very well assuming it's not bashed or dragged against any brick walls

Cons:
1. Maybe it was just my bag in particular, the leather didn't feel particularly luxurious to me imo.
2. Suede lining, always a con to me for the higher maintenance, but could be a pro to others depending on your view
3. The proportions of the straps look a little odd to me, the chain being too thin for a bag of this size, and the leather strap being a tad too wide, slipping off shoulders easily
4. The new models have a magnet behind the triangle closure, i didnt have that bag for a very long time, but i cant help but feel that over time there might be stretching, wear and tear etc on the thin, delicate dongle connecting the triangle piece to the bag, due to excessive force when pulling it to open the bag
5. The back pocket, whilst handy, doesn't fully span across the back of the bag in the grained version unlike the smooth calf version (check out the pictures on the website) making it much less useful if you intend to put your phone in there
6. This could just be a fluke, but my bag had pretty severe glue stains on the bottom, as well as other minor imperfections such as tiny holes in the glazing, as well as random tiny rogue bits of glazing on the leather itself (mine was a light colour therefore especially obvious) which surprised me as I purchased from a boutique itself, so no chance of it being a fake, I would highly recommend you inspect your bag carefully once you receive it

All in all still a great bag as those are just flaws to me but might not be a bother to anyone else :biggrin: hope this helps

Reactions: momshj
I had a grained leather one briefly but now have the classic boxcalf one in mink.

Assuming you're eyeing the grained one, my personal opinion would be

Pros:
1. Aesthetics of course, as low key as Loewe is, I like how the barcelona is even more low key and unrecognizable
2. Two strap options
3. Very roomy, i was surprised that my small water bottle fit in there, haven't tried a kindle as i dont own one but apparently kindles could fit in there too
4. Back pocket that comes in handy
5. Quite light for a full leather bag of this size
6. Hardy grained leather, should hide any scratches very well assuming it's not bashed or dragged against any brick walls

Cons:
1. Maybe it was just my bag in particular, the leather didn't feel particularly luxurious to me imo.
2. Suede lining, always a con to me for the higher maintenance, but could be a pro to others depending on your view
3. The proportions of the straps look a little odd to me, the chain being too thin for a bag of this size, and the leather strap being a tad too wide, slipping off shoulders easily
4. The new models have a magnet behind the triangle closure, i didnt have that bag for a very long time, but i cant help but feel that over time there might be stretching, wear and tear etc on the thin, delicate dongle connecting the triangle piece to the bag, due to excessive force when pulling it to open the bag
5. The back pocket, whilst handy, doesn't fully span across the back of the bag in the grained version unlike the smooth calf version (check out the pictures on the website) making it much less useful if you intend to put your phone in there
6. This could just be a fluke, but my bag had pretty severe glue stains on the bottom, as well as other minor imperfections such as tiny holes in the glazing, as well as random tiny rogue bits of glazing on the leather itself (mine was a light colour therefore especially obvious) which surprised me as I purchased from a boutique itself, so no chance of it being a fake, I would highly recommend you inspect your bag carefully once you receive it

All in all still a great bag as those are just flaws to me but might not be a bother to anyone else :biggrin: hope this helps
I bought the Barcelona Bag in a light pink from an outlet, the price was perfect even though it was not my first color choice. The chain strap fits perfect but as you mentioned the leather strap is very wide for my shoulder and crossbody a bit too short. I am sure I will get used to the leather strap and I appreciate you giving me your feedback ahead of time. I am looking forward to carrying this during the summer and am sure to get my $ worth as it was 45% less than the Loewe boutique.

I have a Barcelona clutch from the first launch, so already vintage. It is grained leather, tan color, very beautiful, very high quality. I personally find the closure a bit fiddly and don’t see this as a day bag, but I cannot talk about the new models. It has a lot of personality that’s for sure.

I have a calfskin barcelona in the mink color. The leather is absolutely buttery and the bag is quite light. It's quite roomy as well - I can fit a continental wallet, Celine sunglasses pouch, cell phone and small compact easily. The only downside is that calfskin is prone to scratches.

I have a calfskin barcelona in the mink color. The leather is absolutely buttery and the bag is quite light. It's quite roomy as well - I can fit a continental wallet, Celine sunglasses pouch, cell phone and small compact easily. The only downside is that calfskin is prone to scratches.

The bag I just bought has a chain strap that I can carry over my shoulder or crossbody. The leather strap is extremely wide and falls off my shoulder but too short for cross body. Do you have the same problem or do you have the older version with the thinner strap? They made a big mistake with the thick strap.

The bag I just bought has a chain strap that I can carry over my shoulder or crossbody. The leather strap is extremely wide and falls off my shoulder but too short for cross body. Do you have the same problem or do you have the older version with the thinner strap? They made a big mistake with the thick strap.

I have the older version with the thinner strap. I wear it cross body and it's a good length.