Bag Terminology - East/West, North/South ???

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Nordstrom Fall Sale is now live! Save up to 40% on Nordy's best brands, including bags, shoes, clothes, home, and kids'. Click to shop.
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. This Lanvin bag would be north/south; it's taller than it is wide.

[​IMG]

2. LOL...me too....

3. Thanks for clearing that up for us as I didn't know the meaning, either.

4. See all the important things you learn here?? :smartass: Thanks for the explanation.

5. What exactly is an 'East West' bag? I've been seeing this expression for ages and wondered what it meant. When I finally discover the meaning I'll probably realize I have three or four East West bags! :rolleyes:

6. It's wider than it is long, I think.

7. Thanks, tonij. So, as we speak I am looking at my East West bag. It's a cream Prada with tassels I just brought out for summer! It's actually the only East West bag I own. I never knew they were called that! I've learned something!

8. Tonij2000 is right. An 'east west' bag is one that is wider than it is longer. A 'north south' bag is longer than it is wider. Think of a map - east to west, north to south. Here are examples from Zappos.

East/West bags
    North/South bags

9. I was also so confused with that expression when I first came to tPF - at one point I thought East/West bags were styles that were more popular in California/New York and North/South bags were popular in Texas or something!

And after finally figuring out what it meant, I also realized I am 100% an East/West fan!

10. OMG thank you for clearing that up!!! I always wondered that myself.

11. I know!!! I thought it was an area thing as well. I first came across the term in Zappos and after staring at the bags in each section - :idea: (the light finally dawned).

12. Yes, that's what I think too. My black Stam that I got a couple of years ago was called an east/west style and it is longer than wider. I think it's been since discontinued. But I have a "regular" Stam in the oatmeal color that's not that way.

I've also heard of north/south bags where the bag is noticeably taller than wider.

13. Gosh! I'm glad I wasn't the only one! I have never heard of north/south bags. I'll look those up now. I definitely just bought one of those of those without realizing! I prefer the east/west style. The meaning becomes obvious when you start to think about it. Thanks so much for clarifying this, ladies!

14. Wow, I never knew that. Thanks!

15. I first hear the term(s) years ago as applied to the orientation of gems on a piece of jewelry. It seems better suited to handbags!