Authenticate This COACH - **see first post for format**

IMPORTANT READ-ME

Please post authenticity questions related to COACH in this thread. No PMs please.
For further information, please refer to the first post on page 1 of this thread.

Please follow the following requests:
  • Before you submit a request for authentication, please search this thread to make sure that the item has not previously been authenticated by searching the seller ID and/or item number. This is not a thread to ask general questions about COACH, please refer to our main Coach forum for such information.
  • Note that authenticators have the right to refuse any requests. This is a free service, but it is imperative that you help our authenticators by using the following format:
  • FOR ITEMS LISTED ONLINE:
    Item:
    Listing number:
    Seller and site where listed
    Link:
    Comments:

• FOR ITEMS NOT LISTED ONLINE:
    Item:
    Where purchased or how obtained
    Comments:
BASIC PICTURES REQUIRED (but more may be requested): If necessary pictures are in the listing, it's not necessary to upload and duplicate them.
  • Front of item
  • Back of item
  • Full clear and legible creed text and serial number
  • Made in tags (when available)
  • Measurements
  • For bags with turnlock closures, show pictures of back of female side of turnlock
  • For bags with magnetic snaps, show pictures of the male part of the snap so that the numbers and letters on it can be read
  • If applicable, search interior of bag and/or pockets for small white tag with production information and include a picture of that.
Thank you and be safe!

Kind authenticators - I hope you are all well and enjoying the weekend.

When you have time, I'd appreciate if you could give me your thoughts on this bag. I purchased it in a lot from Goodwill, and it feels different from what I'm used to. The leather is supple and pliable, but seems quite thin. The female part of the turnlock seems different (rounder, not as oblong,) and the strap looks odd to me - both the grommets and the fact that it's finished on both sides, but has the turned-over edge.

I've been wrong before so wanted to run it past the experts!

Dimensions: 12 (L) x 4 (W) x 9 (H)

View attachment 4778582View attachment 4778584View attachment 4778585View attachment 4778586View attachment 4778587View attachment 4778588View attachment 4778589View attachment 4778590View attachment 4778591
It's authentic, made in 2001.
I've had one of these and it is thinner leather than classic styles, although Coach's description said classic Coach leather. The thinner leather makes it more flexible to accommodate the curved shape.

Kind authenticators - I hope you are all well and enjoying the weekend.

When you have time, I'd appreciate if you could give me your thoughts on this bag. I purchased it in a lot from Goodwill, and it feels different from what I'm used to. The leather is supple and pliable, but seems quite thin. The female part of the turnlock seems different (rounder, not as oblong,) and the strap looks odd to me - both the grommets and the fact that it's finished on both sides, but has the turned-over edge.

I've been wrong before so wanted to run it past the experts!

Dimensions: 12 (L) x 4 (W) x 9 (H)

View attachment 4778582View attachment 4778584View attachment 4778585View attachment 4778586View attachment 4778587View attachment 4778588View attachment 4778589View attachment 4778590View attachment 4778591

To answer several of your questions -

I've just found several examples of the same style listed on Ebay and made in the same Costa Rica plant and within a year or two of each other, and at least 3 of them have the same turnlock as yours. Apparently that's what that plant was given to use, and in fact almost all newer Coaches from the last 15 years have that same turnlock with 2 screws holding the front and back plates together instead of 4 prongs.

Newer leathers ARE thinner, maybe because once Coach started putting fabric linings inside most of their bags starting in the early 2000s, the leather plus the added lining material simply made the seams too thick and too hard to sew. Coach actually had to shave away some of the leather at the seams of the even older bags so it's not surprising that an additional layer of material would have caused a problem.

There's nothing wrong with yours. Don't try to compare details of a Coach style unless it's with the same exact style number and year range and plant of manufacture, Coach changed details constantly.

ETA - BTW, the Coach catalogs from 2001 that feature that year's Legacy styles specifically mention that the Legacy line from that year are made of "lightweight leather". "Lightweight" = thinner. Here are two examples from the late 2001 Legacy West line, similar to the regular Legacy but with a different lining and probably slightly different hardware, click on the thumbnails to enlarge:

scan0016.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: CR Graham
Good morning, please kindly authenticate the following:

1) Item: Saddlery bag
Seller: JanusEclectic on Etsy
Link: https://www.etsy.com/listing/833639243/vintage-coach-crossbody-black-dark-gray

2) Item: Bleeker tote
Seller: BoutiqueDeMi on Etsy
Link: https://www.etsy.com/listing/823224189/rare-6121-navy-blue-leathercanvas

3) Item: Dinky (this is just my guess)
Seller: thetroublewithlisa on Etsy
Link: https://www.etsy.com/listing/833634219/vintage-80s-red-coach-crossbody-over-the

Thank you in advance.

Good morning, please kindly authenticate the following:

1) Item: Saddlery bag
Seller: JanusEclectic on Etsy
Link: https://www.etsy.com/listing/833639243/vintage-coach-crossbody-black-dark-gray

2) Item: Bleeker tote
Seller: BoutiqueDeMi on Etsy
Link: https://www.etsy.com/listing/823224189/rare-6121-navy-blue-leathercanvas

3) Item: Dinky (this is just my guess)
Seller: thetroublewithlisa on Etsy
Link: https://www.etsy.com/listing/833634219/vintage-80s-red-coach-crossbody-over-the

Thank you in advance.
They're all authentic.