Authenticate this ALEXANDER MCQUEEN SCARF *Post Your Questions Here*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like both are fakes, the missing C isn't right as you pointed out, the size of the letters is also too big (will try to post an example soon). The scarf seems fake aswell (the one I can see on the link you provided). The printed letters aren't aligned right; also the damage on the silk is not natural. I feel like someone damaged this scarf on purpose to make it seem like a more legetimate used scarf.

I didn't see all these particulars when i bought it....but now having under my eyes and in my hands i can see it is a fake...i thank you so much for your prompt answer ... i have written an email to v.collective saying i m in doubt with the authenticity of the scarf but at this point i m sure and i want to send it back and be refunded....do you think that they will accept my request?

I didn't see all these particulars when i bought it....but now having under my eyes and in my hands i can see it is a fake...i thank you so much for your prompt answer ... i have written an email to v.collective saying i m in doubt with the authenticity of the scarf but at this point i m sure and i want to send it back and be refunded....do you think that they will accept my request?
I'm glad I've helped you. I however have no experience with the website you purchased your scarf on.

If you are looking to buy a legetimate AMQ scarf for a decent price I recommend Yoox. I've bought about 10 AMQ scarves from them from €66 to €129. All new and genuine offcourse. The problem with Yoox is that they mostly have very little stock and you have to be patient to buy it at a bargain, price drops are every 2 months or so; until the item is sold.

10 scarves!I ve 4 ...they are addictive!love so much in all different colours...one for one different outfit...anyaway the staff of v.collective has answered to my e-mail and told to send back the scarf for another control of authenticy...i ll follow for sure your usefull suggestion.many many thanks

Reactions: Rumm
Hello! Was at a thrift store, saw this tag less scarf, $6 benefits families , eh why not. Can someone tell me if it’s real? I doubt it is but I hate guessing :smile: usually I can have a better idea with the tag but alas there is none and I’m more familiar with chiffon. Thank you!!!IMG_1507159656.053226.jpgIMG_1507159679.576856.jpg IMG_1507159700.087777.jpgIMG_1507159730.346127.jpgIMG_1507159754.008427.jpg

Hello! Was at a thrift store, saw this tag less scarf, $6 benefits families , eh why not. Can someone tell me if it’s real? I doubt it is but I hate guessing :smile: usually I can have a better idea with the tag but alas there is none and I’m more familiar with chiffon. Thank you!!!View attachment 3843560View attachment 3843561 View attachment 3843562View attachment 3843563View attachment 3843564
Without the tag it obviously is harder to tell, but from what I see I don't see a reason to doubt its authenticity. What is the material (or what does it feel like) and what are the scarf's sizes?

Reactions: IStuckACello
Without the tag it obviously is harder to tell, but from what I see I don't see a reason to doubt its authenticity. What is the material (or what does it feel like) and what are the scarf's sizes?
Thank you, I don't have a measuring tape on me at the moment unfortunately, went to work, but its pretty large. Are all the scarves the same size? I can compare later when I get home to my moth chiffon scarf. I have only seen a few of this solid silk online previously, usually I just see chiffon. The logo to my untrained eye looks okay, I'm bummed there's no tag to really drive the point home... as for feel, it isn't super soft sticky silk if that makes sense but the only other silk item I have is a old gucci hankercheif that's probably kind of gross by now since I use it to play violin ;)

Thank you, I don't have a measuring tape on me at the moment unfortunately, went to work, but its pretty large. Are all the scarves the same size? I can compare later when I get home to my moth chiffon scarf. I have only seen a few of this solid silk online previously, usually I just see chiffon. The logo to my untrained eye looks okay, I'm bummed there's no tag to really drive the point home... as for feel, it isn't super soft sticky silk if that makes sense but the only other silk item I have is a old gucci hankercheif that's probably kind of gross by now since I use it to play violin ;)
I just took a look at some of my scarf and the rolled edges, sadly only one of mine has rolled edges (the others are fringed) and it does look diferently from the scarf you own. My scarf is a cotton/wool/polyamide mix which feels not silky at all :smile:. I can image AMQ ( or whover they order to fabricate the scarf) using different manufacturing methods with different materials. Not sure if all are the same size, but I know a lot of skull scarves are 104x120cm. I will try to find out more about silk scarves, but right now it's looking good to me. The pattern (in the material) is the thing that brings up the most question marks, since all the AMQ scarves i've seen used different manufacturing methods. Could be an old scarf (who knows?) and it looks like a decent quality aswell.

I just took a look at some of my scarf and the rolled edges, sadly only one of mine has rolled edges (the others are fringed) and it does look diferently from the scarf you own. My scarf is a cotton/wool/polyamide mix which feels not silky at all :smile:. I can image AMQ ( or whover they order to fabricate the scarf) using different manufacturing methods with different materials. Not sure if all are the same size, but I know a lot of skull scarves are 104x120cm. I will try to find out more about silk scarves, but right now it's looking good to me.

Thank you for the info! I have been trying to google image this stuff and search TPF for the past hour lol and I don't see anything similar. The only one I remember that looks stiff like this material was I think called the union jack. I imagine chiffon would require a different stitch, but I don't know either. The stitching doesn't look crappy and it's fairly consistent. I guess if it's definitely a fake I will just use it as a side table cloth for halloween lol.

Thank you for the info! I have been trying to google image this stuff and search TPF for the past hour lol and I don't see anything similar. The only one I remember that looks stiff like this material was I think called the union jack. I imagine chiffon would require a different stitch, but I don't know either. The stitching doesn't look crappy and it's fairly consistent. I guess if it's definitely a fake I will just use it as a side table cloth for halloween lol.
Funny you mention the Union Jack, I actually ordered a AMQ union jack from Yoox 2 weeks ago but sent it back because it had some damages. It was a 100% modal scarf thus didnt look anything like yours aswell :P. AMQ basically calls every scarf thats inspired by the British flag an Union Jack...

Back to your scarf: the wrinkles (not sure if that's the correct English word, the lines formed by folding the scarf) to me indicate that it is indeed a silk scarf.

The skull scarves are basically the only scarves that are being counterfeited (and have been for a while with a few exceptions like the Damien Hirst scarves), which makes buying a used skull scarves always somewhat of a gamble. Flaws are mostly seen in the tag, the printed logo (though not every scarves has it) and the edges. Especially earlier and still the cheaper counterfeits have major flaws in the printed logo, while yours is absolutely spot on perfect. I also don't see a reason for a counterfeiter to use a different (probably more expensive) way of manufacturing a counterfeit scarf. I'm fairly certain (~85-90%) that your scarf is a genuine one. Allthough this forum isn't as active as it once was: maybe someone else can confirm :smile:.

Thank you sooo much for the help! I was up trying to figure this out as well as I don’t see many silk scarves via google image search, just silk chiffon. I checked it against my old chiffon moth scarf and they seem to have similar stitching patterns. If this is indeed real then it blows my mind someone just donated it, it’s in great condition. Funny, the night before I had a dream about the Vancouver Olympics Maple scarf too [emoji23]

I’ll have to check Yoox! I really loved the older scarves from around 2009-2011 ish...especially the catacombs one. Do you know if that’s ever been faked? I saw an eBay seller from Italy I think with several older McQueen scarves and that was a bit concerning to me as I think they said it was new.

Thank you so much again!!!!

Funny you mention the Union Jack, I actually ordered a AMQ union jack from Yoox 2 weeks ago but sent it back because it had some damages. It was a 100% modal scarf thus didnt look anything like yours aswell :P. AMQ basically calls every scarf thats inspired by the British flag an Union Jack...

Back to your scarf: the wrinkles (not sure if that's the correct English word, the lines formed by folding the scarf) to me indicate that it is indeed a silk scarf.

The skull scarves are basically the only scarves that are being counterfeited (and have been for a while with a few exceptions like the Damien Hirst scarves), which makes buying a used skull scarves always somewhat of a gamble. Flaws are mostly seen in the tag, the printed logo (though not every scarves has it) and the edges. Especially earlier and still the cheaper counterfeits have major flaws in the printed logo, while yours is absolutely spot on perfect. I also don't see a reason for a counterfeiter to use a different (probably more expensive) way of manufacturing a counterfeit scarf. I'm fairly certain (~85-90%) that your scarf is a genuine one. Allthough this forum isn't as active as it once was: maybe someone else can confirm :smile:.

It looks like silk twill. McQueen rarely used silk twill for scarves but they do exist. I have a few silk twill McQueen scarves but as they are in storage I cannot get to them to compare. The ones I have are from around 2008 burgundy with gold skulls with Paisley pattern has a hand rolled edge the same as yours. I'm my opinion I think yours looks authentic.

It looks like silk twill. McQueen rarely used silk twill for scarves but they do exist. I have a few silk twill McQueen scarves but as they are in storage I cannot get to them to compare. The ones I have are from around 2008 burgundy with gold skulls with Paisley pattern has a hand rolled edge the same as yours. I'm my opinion I think yours looks authentic.

Wow thank you so much for chiming In also. I think my first scarf was slightly after and I couldn’t remember how many releases of silk twill there were but I don’t recall the classic print after that...

Thank you sooo much for the help! I was up trying to figure this out as well as I don’t see many silk scarves via google image search, just silk chiffon. I checked it against my old chiffon moth scarf and they seem to have similar stitching patterns. If this is indeed real then it blows my mind someone just donated it, it’s in great condition. Funny, the night before I had a dream about the Vancouver Olympics Maple scarf too [emoji23]

I’ll have to check Yoox! I really loved the older scarves from around 2009-2011 ish...especially the catacombs one. Do you know if that’s ever been faked? I saw an eBay seller from Italy I think with several older McQueen scarves and that was a bit concerning to me as I think they said it was new.

Thank you so much again!!!!

You're very welcome, and since jamamcg got you back: you should be fine :smile:.
Not sure if the catacomb scarves have ever been faked, I'm not really into fake scarves :P.
Yoox is dangerous though, even though I buy most items for about 30-50% of their original price: I'm spending way more than I ever did on clothing and accessories since I discovered Yoox :biggrin:.

You're very welcome, and since jamamcg got you back: you should be fine :smile:.
Not sure if the catacomb scarves have ever been faked, I'm not really into fake scarves :P.
Yoox is dangerous though, even though I buy most items for about 30-50% of their original price: I'm spending way more than I ever did on clothing and accessories since I discovered Yoox :biggrin:.

I just checked them out again! I feel like the prices have gone up, but I could be wrong. Sales were really good before!! Thanks again ladies!

Status
Not open for further replies.