Are You Ever Tempted to "Butt In" at the Outlet?

I have had this issue various times at the Outlet and I always feel odd about it.. But I find that when I do inform people they are very grateful and often they still by the MFF but they now know what they are getting..

My husband knows the difference and knows which one I like..:amuse:

One time at the outlet a young man asked for my opinion but he didn't take it. He was buying a gift for his girlfriend and he had chosen a small MFF khaki sig fabric bag. He asked what I thought of the bag and if it would make a good gift.

They had the modern FP delete Willis bags with legacy stripe lining at the outlet at the time and I suggested one of them as a better option - but he stuck with his original choice. I think he wanted a bag with Cs on it (and maybe that's what his girlfriend wanted, too.) So I suggested asking for a gift receipt so that his girlfriend could easily make an exchange if the bag wasn't exactly what she wanted. I think that made him feel more comfortable with his selection.

But I didn't butt in, he asked me first!

I've just remembered a time when I actually did "butt in" at the outlet but it was kindly meant and I know that it was appreciated. I overheard 2 women shopping for a baby bag as a shower gift but they were disappointed with the meager (and mediocre) selection. I think all they had in stock were a few coated canvas sig bags. They were looking for something with more style.

I apologized for interrupting but said "Did you know that there is a Men's Coach Store in this mall, right around the corner? They might have a better selection of larger totes and bags that might work as a baby bag." The women were immediately interested to learn about the men's store but concerned because it was a really busy day and there was a long line to get into the women's coach store, and a line to check out at the cashier.

One of them said "But if we don't find a nice bag at the men's store, we will have to come back here and wait in line again just to buy this bag!" So I said, "You could buy this bag now and return/exchange it at the men's store if you find something you like better - and there is never a line at the men's store." They were pleased with that option and went off to buy the baby bag and then head over to the men's store. I wonder what bag they finally settled on as a shower gift?

Do you ever see someone buying a MFF bag at the outlet and feel the urge to tell him/her to get an FP delete bag instead? That's happened in situations when I feel that the FP delete is a nicer bag and a better bargain, but I usually resist the urge and walk away.

I was at the outlet this weekend and I overheard a man talking to a SA about buying a purse for his wife. She was showing him the Chalk Sierra Satchel with embossed snake trim F57504 SV CAH and telling him that it is a very popular bag (and I am sure that's true).

I think that the MFF chalk Sierra Satchel is very attractive and well-made and I am sure his wife will love it; but there was another chalk purse sitting on a nearby shelf that I felt was a much nicer bag - the chalk Nomad 36026 LI CHK.

I don't know how much they were asking for the Sierra Satchel, I'm guessing $150? But the Nomad was reduced 60% and was selling for $198 (retail $495). Not a big difference IMO.

I was so tempted to butt in and say "if you want to buy a white bag for your wife then give her the real deal!" and then take him over to the Nomad display and tell him about the difference between MFF and FP and show him the thick glove-tanned leather and the brown leather lining - but I didn't do any of those things. I held my peace and later saw him in the checkout line holding the Sierra Satchel. I am sure that his wife will be thrilled because it is a very nice bag and it was a gift from her thoughtful husband.

So do you ever feel the urge to "butt in" at the outlet?

Below are drill-down pics of the 2 bags and they are both beautiful, do you agree with my choice or am I just a FP snob?

Chalk Sierra Satchel SV CAH:
View attachment 3570939

Chalk Nomad 36026 LI CHK:
View attachment 3570942

I definitely prefer the Nomad, katev, and would have been horrified if I'd been presented with anything remotely "snakey"! That said, his wife may well have been thrilled (as I hope she was!)
I'm always offering my opinion in stores - customers seem to like a "real" person's view, as opposed to sales talk - and I've appreciated comments coming the other way, too. One day, another customer took it on herself to examine every oak Bayswater in Bicester Village Mulberry until she decided I had the "best grain" available! [emoji6]

Reactions: bluesh4rk and katev
I know this is an old thread but reading through it, I can't help but agree with so many of the posts, they're relevant to many other contemporary brands as well - MK, KS, and TB come to mind. I stop by my local KS outlet whenever I'm passing by since my favourite collection from the speciality boutiques has been discontinued and lots of the bags/wallets are transferred to the outlet which can result in some great finds. It's sad when people think they're getting an amazing deal though on the MFF/outlet pieces since they're intended to be marked down by a minimum of 50%-60% (at KS, not sure about Coach or MK) and about 30%-50% at TB. Thankfully we have tPF to share these opinions, I don't think I'd "butt in" without being asked my opinion at the outlet but on numerous occasions I've wanted to say something, in particular when other customers start up the conversation of how great the deals are. Out of curiosity, does Coach make Outlet bags with slight variations so they're almost similar to the boutique options, or are they distinctly separate? I know MK, TB, and KS all have very similar styles at the outlets which resemble bags found at their boutiques and feel like that's a factor in people shopping at the outlet - they don't pay as much attention or perhaps care as much as we do!

Last edited:
Reactions: katev
I know this is an old thread but reading through it, I can't help but agree with so many of the posts, they're relevant to many other contemporary brands as well - MK, KS, and TB come to mind. I stop by my local KS outlet whenever I'm passing by since my favourite collection by them has been discontinued and lots of the bags/wallets are transferred to the outlet which can result in some great finds. It's sad when people think they're getting an amazing deal though on the MFF/outlet pieces since they're intended to be marked down by a minimum of 50%-60% (at KS, not sure about Coach or MK) and about 30%-50% at TB. Thankfully we have tPF to share these opinions, I don't think I'd "butt in" without being asked my opinion at the outlet but on numerous occasions I've wanted to say something, in particular when other customers start up the conversation of how great the deals are. Out of curiosity, does Coach make Outlet bags with slight variations so they're almost similar to the boutique options, or are they distinctly separate? I know MK, TB, and KS all have very similar styles at the outlets which resemble bags found at their boutiques and feel like that's a factor in people shopping at the outlet - they don't pay as much attention or perhaps care as much as we do!
Yes, Coach has some almost identical mff bags that look like the retail bags. If the bag was discontinued in the retail stores they will keep the original name, like the Kelsey and the Phoebe. If a bag is still in the retail stores and they make a factory bag, they will rename it. Swagger vs Blake is an example of that.

Some people just don't know the difference. I didn't either in the beginning, but it didn't take me
long to learn.

I've just remembered a time when I actually did "butt in" at the outlet but it was kindly meant and I know that it was appreciated. I overheard 2 women shopping for a baby bag as a shower gift but they were disappointed with the meager (and mediocre) selection. I think all they had in stock were a few coated canvas sig bags. They were looking for something with more style.

I apologized for interrupting but said "Did you know that there is a Men's Coach Store in this mall, right around the corner? They might have a better selection of larger totes and bags that might work as a baby bag." The women were immediately interested to learn about the men's store but concerned because it was a really busy day and there was a long line to get into the women's coach store, and a line to check out at the cashier.

One of them said "But if we don't find a nice bag at the men's store, we will have to come back here and wait in line again just to buy this bag!" So I said, "You could buy this bag now and return/exchange it at the men's store if you find something you like better - and there is never a line at the men's store." They were pleased with that option and went off to buy the baby bag and then head over to the men's store. I wonder what bag they finally settled on as a shower gift?

That was great advise... and I beleive that they did find something... I often love the mans stuff... I just got a man's
Messenger bag that is just wonderful..

Reactions: katev
I always seem to give my opinion to others at Full Price and the Outlet and at Target!!(where I work)
I agree with Katev, I love getting a great deal on a FP Delete at the outlet. I think the SAs at the outlet are required to push sales for MFF bags since it is the outlet.

Lynne :biggrin:

Reactions: carterazo and katev
Hi, it has been awhile since I have been on TPF...I saw your thread about Elvis!!! I got to see Elvis Bag Charm IRL...Nordstrom Dept. Store had it. I did buy it but decided it was too big. I love the Elvis bags too but spendy!!!
I have the bag tag on the way sadly the bags aren't coming over here if I win the lottery I want that rogue and the three pouches!!! Lol after a trip to Memphis of course

Reactions: sparkle1