Appalled At Tiffanys!

Thank-you for the wonderful feedback everyone!! I think I'm going to go ahead and return not only because of the price but also cause i'm kind of into timeless jewelry right now and i don't i can see myself wearing the key when i'm 30 or 40 or well the key i got anyways. having said that i still find myself flip-flopping on my decision....ughh i hate that i'm so indecisive! do you guys see the key as being timeless?

My mom always told me "if you walk away from it is it going to be constantly in your thoughts?" If you can walk away from this and be ok, then don't worry about it!

As a side note, my husband just got me my first key and I love love love love it. It's for my 41st birthday :smile:

Reactions: marie132
My mom always told me "if you walk away from it is it going to be constantly in your thoughts?" If you can walk away from this and be ok, then don't worry about it!

As a side note, my husband just got me my first key and I love love love love it. It's for my 41st birthday :smile:

hmmm i never thought about it like that, thanks! my main issue is that i always buy stuff and say i LOVE it, wear it 10 times, and then forget about it. I did some spring cleaning a few days ago and was shocked by the amount of stuff i hadn't used/worn in years. it made me sick to think of all that money i wasted :sick:

anyways on happier note, Happy Belated Birthday and Congrats on the key! Wear it in good health :smile:

hmmm i never thought about it like that, thanks! my main issue is that i always buy stuff and say i LOVE it, wear it 10 times, and then forget about it. I did some spring cleaning a few days ago and was shocked by the amount of stuff i hadn't used/worn in years. it made me sick to think of all that money i wasted :sick:

anyways on happier note, Happy Belated Birthday and Congrats on the key! Wear it in good health :smile:

I hear you, when I go though some of my collections (nail polish at the moment hehe) it can get overwhelming, and even feel like a burden. I don't have many jewelry items... I am very particutlar. But I do use that "rule" when I come across something I like. BTW it's not my birthday until the middle of May..... I just couldn't wait :smile: Luckily I have a hubby that doesn't mind spoiling me a bit.

Thank-you for the wonderful feedback everyone!! I think I'm going to go ahead and return not only because of the price but also cause i'm kind of into timeless jewelry right now and i don't i can see myself wearing the key when i'm 30 or 40 or well the key i got anyways. having said that i still find myself flip-flopping on my decision....ughh i hate that i'm so indecisive! do you guys see the key as being timeless?

I'm not a key fan. I'm a bean fan, and I like a lot of the Tiffany abstract shapes. The Peretti letters are interesting, too. For me, the timeless pieces are simple, more abstract and less realistic.

I am not a Key fan either. If you are unhappy and don't think it will stand the test of time, I would take it back and get a DBTY from Tiffanys. I think that is one piece they do very well, you could get a single station or save and get a 5 staion for around 1700. That is timeless and gorgeous. IMO

^^ yup, that is next on my list i think. I didn't have time today so i'm going to head back in a few weeks to check out the dbty's or maybe a pair of studs. I'm just going to do what SunshineOnMe said and if i ca't stop thinking about it i'll go back and get the key but for right now i'm pretty happy with my decision.

Ridiculous! Why complain that Tiffany's doesn't customize their jewelry? Do you go into a Chanel or Dior boutique and ask them to customize your bag or put on a different clasp? Why should any brand jeopardize their design or art?

Their are plenty of independent jewelers and leather workers for ordering custom pieces (unless you are Angelina Jolie and have a famous designer's home phone number on speed dial, you are wearing prêt à porter as far as luxury name brands go).

Ridiculous! Why complain that Tiffany's doesn't customize their jewelry? Do you go into a Chanel or Dior boutique and ask them to customize your bag or put on a different clasp? Why should any brand jeopardize their design or art?

Their are plenty of independent jewelers and leather workers for ordering custom pieces (unless you are Angelina Jolie and have a famous designer's home phone number on speed dial, you are wearing prêt à porter as far as luxury name brands go).
Yurong, I don't mind prêt à porter luxury if you can spare me some change like a million or two to go shopping over the weekend! :-P

Why are you so angry over a thread that's been dead for seven years?

I think Yurong is new and didn't notice it was an old thread. Yurong's got a point though.

Probably true about the newness but the point of the original post is still a valuable one today. , The actual original post was about how much a piece of Tiffany silver cost versus what it was "worth" to a jeweler if she tried to resell it. Essentially, the OP didn't understand that any jewelry you buy be it Tiffany or some other brand, is not going to fetch what you paid for it if you sell it.

There are 2 things to consider when you talk about "selling" a piece of jewelry of any name.

1- Resell value to a jeweler: If you try to sell a used piece to a jeweler or resell shop, they will pay you scrap or something close to that for buyout. I'll repeat that again: a jewelry store will pay you SCRAP for the metal value. No names involved. Think on it. They do not have the skill or expertise in most cases to value or authenticate an alleged designer piece presented to them so why would they take a persons word on it. Unless you are consigning to sell as an estate piece, in which case you are VERY lucky to get a 80/20 cut. Some of the local brick and mortar resell stores I have checked in to for pieces only give you 50% and then they start it at 50% of retail - so you get not much.

2-Resell value of a piece you sell yourself: You WILL get more of your original amount back for well known brands and items sold in the right places. IE- on eBay if you have done a good job of marketing your piece (good pics, plenty of info, making it easy to authenticate, etc...) a designer piece like Tiffany especially a popular piece would fetch far more than scrap though probably not anything like what you paid originally. Also pieces that are well made with well known boutique vendors (like Whiteflash, Hearts on Fire, Brian Gavin...etc etc...) tend to have decent resale value if you list them in places where people who know about them tend to look (ie- Diamond Bistro, not eBay). So to say only a "designer" brand like Tiffany or Cartier holds its value is not quite true. They are just the most known and so easier to sell if you have the proper pics and documentation on the widest band width. But enough people have jumped on the "super ideal" wagon now to be familiar with the "big names" in super ideal diamonds and jewelry for them to be easier to resell than a piece of average to low quality mall jewelry. Average to low quality pieces from a mall or chain type jeweler are typically the hardest to resell if you try to do that, and you will probably take a massive loss.

The upshot is: if you are concerned about ever reselling, stick to popular pieces by a)well known brands or b) very well made pieces by boutique vendors. Jewelry is not an investment. Ever. You will almost always take a loss unless you are operating in the Elizabeth Taylor end of the spectrum. :smile:

Probably true about the newness but the point of the original post is still a valuable one today. , The actual original post was about how much a piece of Tiffany silver cost versus what it was "worth" to a jeweler if she tried to resell it. Essentially, the OP didn't understand that any jewelry you buy be it Tiffany or some other brand, is not going to fetch what you paid for it if you sell it.

There are 2 things to consider when you talk about "selling" a piece of jewelry of any name.

1- Resell value to a jeweler: If you try to sell a used piece to a jeweler or resell shop, they will pay you scrap or something close to that for buyout. I'll repeat that again: a jewelry store will pay you SCRAP for the metal value. No names involved. Think on it. They do not have the skill or expertise in most cases to value or authenticate an alleged designer piece presented to them so why would they take a persons word on it. Unless you are consigning to sell as an estate piece, in which case you are VERY lucky to get a 80/20 cut. Some of the local brick and mortar resell stores I have checked in to for pieces only give you 50% and then they start it at 50% of retail - so you get not much.

2-Resell value of a piece you sell yourself: You WILL get more of your original amount back for well known brands and items sold in the right places. IE- on eBay if you have done a good job of marketing your piece (good pics, plenty of info, making it easy to authenticate, etc...) a designer piece like Tiffany especially a popular piece would fetch far more than scrap though probably not anything like what you paid originally. Also pieces that are well made with well known boutique vendors (like Whiteflash, Hearts on Fire, Brian Gavin...etc etc...) tend to have decent resale value if you list them in places where people who know about them tend to look (ie- Diamond Bistro, not eBay). So to say only a "designer" brand like Tiffany or Cartier holds its value is not quite true. They are just the most known and so easier to sell if you have the proper pics and documentation on the widest band width. But enough people have jumped on the "super ideal" wagon now to be familiar with the "big names" in super ideal diamonds and jewelry for them to be easier to resell than a piece of average to low quality mall jewelry. Average to low quality pieces from a mall or chain type jeweler are typically the hardest to resell if you try to do that, and you will probably take a massive loss.

The upshot is: if you are concerned about ever reselling, stick to popular pieces by a)well known brands or b) very well made pieces by boutique vendors. Jewelry is not an investment. Ever. You will almost always take a loss unless you are operating in the Elizabeth Taylor end of the spectrum. :smile:
Very true. That being said though, some Tiffany SA posted in a forum a while back that Tiffany silver was much better value for money than gold or diamond items. I tend to agree, plus their silver pieces are so beautiful that regardless of the price I would pick some silver pieces over gold or diamond ones if given a choice!

Reactions: bunnycat
Very true. That being said though, some Tiffany SA posted in a forum a while back that Tiffany silver was much better value for money than gold or diamond items. I tend to agree, plus their silver pieces are so beautiful that regardless of the price I would pick some silver pieces over gold or diamond ones if given a choice!

I read something about that. I guess I don't have enough info to agree or disagree really.

My liking of Tiffany is not just for it being Tiffany in most cases. IE- if I want a diamond halo ring, I am not going to look at Tiffany because just about every jewelry company out there has a halo setting and I am solidly in the "super ideal" diamond camp. I value the precision cutting, and the guaranteed light performance of them. If I am going to spend $$$$ on a tiny little thing that is basically an incredibly expensive mirror, it better be the best mirror there is. :lol:

I DO tend to look for Tiffany pieces that are very specifically Tiffany - like the Atlas pieces. Or the Tiffany T pieces. Those are really specific to the brand. Another example are the little thumbprint glasses I got for MrBcat for his whiskey. Those are very specific to Elsa Peretti and Tiffany. But if I want a diamond eternity....welllll...those look the same no matter where you get them as long as you get them well made with nicely cut stones.

But it should be common sense, Tiffany's jewelry resale value is very low. My recent acquired Tiffany Large size diamond Dragonfly brooch retail price is around CAD$16,000, few years ago I saw the 2nd hand market was selling at $5000, but still I chose to buy a new one from Tiffany Boutique. My E-ring and diamond wedding band cost over CAD$115,000, but I never expect its resale value would be higher than 30% of its original value.

I believe, for customer buying Tiffany, should just enjoy the moment wearing, but never should have high expectation for gaining back fair value at resale market.

Tiffany silver is more reasonably priced than their gold & platinum counterparts.

I wouldn’t get a plain platinum band from Tiffany because it’s just not special in appearance. Can’t tell one plain platinum band from another.

I love the Tiffany Legacy cut in colored stones & wanted one forever but did not want to pay retail. I waited & bought on the secondary market.

I’ve sold jewelry to jewelers & always based my payout expectation on the weight & value of the material at the time, not the brand name markup.

Gold is light... a small light pc is not going to fetch very much $ no matter who’s name is on it unless it’s a museum/one of a kind, not mass produced like the Tiffany keys.