Advice to those just starting handbag collections...

I totally agree...bought my bal and 2 chanels (i didn't own any other designer bags before that so it was a big step for me) but never looked back! They will last me a lonnnnng time :smile: On the other hand, I got a marc by marc jacobs bag just for the more affordable price but now I hardly use it and wished I had saved the money up for something I really love!

Gals, Price increase wise, which one should I get first, the Speedy B 25 or a Balenciaga City RH?

Both are classics so both are good choices but Speedy is definitely lesser in maintenance and lighter than a Balen. Balen has more fun colors though but heavier since it's full leather.. Depends on you. I personally like Balenciagas.

Only buy what you really love, no matter what brand it is. Save up fun money if you have to, but never settle. You'll always want what you were wanting first.

If a brand goes on sale, do your research to see if that goes on sale. Then be quick!

Always be kind to SAs, no matter what attitude they have. You'd be surprised where niceness can take you.

Only buy what you are comfortable carrying. If it's too heavy, too flashy, too not-you in any way, you'll waste money.

Handbags are not investments, they are accessories. Do not delude yourself and spend over budget by thinking it's an investment. Handbag styles can come and go, color is a personal preference.

I know this is an old thread, but wanted to share my experiences. I just started collecting this January, but didn't really think about what I was buying, only that I wanted THAT one brand. Instead of really thinking about what I wanted, I ended up buying a huge amount of bags in a short amount of time. I would use one for a few days and realize it didn't fit my lifestyle and then sell it. Buy another and repeat. I ended up constantly tying up my money and my family feels I went insane. Well...maybe so...lol.

It is now the middle of March and I have learned what I want and what I feel I should have. So I have a Chanel WOC in gold caviar, a Chanel m/l flap in black lambskin, and a LV damier azur Eva. I loved the Eva so I put another Eva on layaway in damier ebene. I also placed a Gucci disco in black on layaway. I feel that these bags are a great "start" to my collection. I will probably add more this year, but only if I LOVE it and know I will use it.

So, my advice... Know what styles will fit your life. Buy only what you love and will use. Stick to your budget. Try to pay in cash and not go into debt to purchase a bag. Know that most likely that bag will be there when you are ready somewhere so don't feel like you have to rush. Take your time. No need to try to keep up with someone else. And lastly, use your bags. Try not to simply keep them in the closet to gaze upon once in a while. :smile:

I should have read this thread before I started buying bags last month. I've returned quite a few. Ordered a lot online without trying on and then when I got them they were just not it. Have a few more still I will be returning. But I am learning what my "style" is. I think from now on I'll be researching more before purchasing anything new.

Reactions: Sparkletastic
Great post and advice here, I am so glad that I have seen this thread because recently I am moving from medium price bags to luxury brand like Chanel/Hermes, One of the key reason is that I am a mid 40s lady and I start getting tired of shopping hunting fashionable item during sale (sign of age though :smile: I m just looking for good quality bag which last at least 5 years or more.

I totally agree with those who suggest owning limited but good quality bags, may I know how many bags do you own and being in use? i am thinking 4-5 bags.....2 tote size for work and stuffs, 2 medium bags for causal and night out, plus a less expensive bag for bad weather and grocery. I appreciate your sharing :smile:

This is such a great thread, when people register with tPF, this thread should be sent in the welcome email because there are so many good points made! For me, I would go back and tell myself the following things:
- I don't have to own every bag that I like, because chances are once I have it in my possession I may not love it.
- Just because a bag is a good deal, doesn't mean I need it; I'm better off putting that money towards something else.
- On a similar note, if it's a contemporary designer brand, wait it out since it'll likely end up on sale (I've rarely paid full price for any of my contemporary designer items) however if it's a higher end brand, purchase sooner rather than later to avoid the bag being sold out, discontinued (I don't like the idea of buying pre-owned), and avoiding price increases.
- Certain styles, no matter how much I love them, aren't going to work for me (i.e.: satchels, I prefer to be hands-free so totes and crossbodys are my go-to styles)
- Think about the long-term (am I buying this to fill the void of another bag? am I going to be able to use it for multiple occasions or does it serve a single purpose/event? can I see myself wearing this 6 months, 12 months, or 18 months from now or is it an in-the-moment purchase?)

A lot of these are lessons that I learned while purchasing mostly contemporary designer brands as a university student so fortunately I didn't end up buying an excessive amount of bags or spending an extravagant amount. Anything I didn't want I was able to give to friends/family or sell off easily, something I would struggle with if they were all premium designer brands.

Last edited:
Ok so my advice is....
- Be more aware of quality than brand name. Quality leather, stitching, and linings are more important.
- Do NOT buy a bag because you see its the current IG rage....buy what YOU like
- Secondhand is always an option, don't be a bag snob :smile:
- Try not to buy duplicates, one of them won't be used and its a waste of time.

- Do your research. Before investing, google the heck out of things; reviews, pictures, modshots, videos...and always try to see the bag in person. Ask for help on tPF, if you are unsure.
- Buy for the life you life, not the one you wish you lived. Think about what you do most VS what you do the least, and coordinate your purchases accordingly. If you live on the red carpet or go out twice a year, you have different needs.
- If you are not of unlimited funds, decide on a budget for your collection. Stick to it by selling when you buy. This is what has helped me stay in my senses when temptation is strong.
- Do test runs. If you are wanting a high end bag but are unsure of how the bag will fit your life, rent or borrow one. You can also look for a similar style from a cheaper brand and do some testing on it whether or not it's worth giving your daydream a go.
- Review on a regular basis. Review your collection, your needs and how your taste has evolved. Let go of things you don't need or use. It's only a bag.
- Don't be afraid to go crazy once in a while, if it doesn't get you in trouble. Life (and beautiful bags )is made to be enjoyed!

Be hesitant about getting a secondhand bag that is made of untreated white canvas LOL. A cleaning service will only have been able to do so much for the poor thing.

Your style will continuously change, so prepare for that. It will change a *lot* in your 20s as you’re honing in on your personal style & refining it over time. This is not just w/ bags but w/ anything related to fashion, even home decor.

Make sure the color of a bag you’re considering coordinates w/ a big chunk of your wardrobe.

Google Image how the bag looks against various blog outfits that aren’t too different from your own style. I add the word “petite” to my own mod shot searches. However, nothing beats using a measuring tape if you don’t get to see the bag in person.

Store your bags in a way that would avoid creases. This is especially important w/ your shoes. Be careful of how bags are packed when you move; you might as well pack them yourself.

Solid-colored leather is easier to coordinate w/ many more pieces of clothing than monogrammed canvas.

Last edited:
Set a budget, do some research on the bag and give yourself a month to think before making the purchase, pick a style that suits your lifestyle and wardrobe, be practical with color/material, no bag is perfect so avoid nitpicking, ignore what's trendy/popular, do use it, and 1 bag will not do it all so relax and enjoy the whole process because eventually you will end up with multiple!