Advice to those just starting handbag collections...

isabellam

O.G.
Feb 16, 2009
What advice would you give to someone who is just entering the handbag arena? Handbags are soooo expensive, few of us can afford to make mistakes. Let's compile a list of helpful tips.

I'll go first.

-When you find a bag you love that hits all your sweet spots, BUY IT. Do not compromise or settle. The price tag may be shocking, but you will spend far more on other bags to compensate.

-Have some sort of plan as to how you want your collection to look

-Be VERY careful with brands that churn out tons of models each season, and then, right after you purchase a bag at full price, put them all on sale and send you a certificate for 40% off. (Yes, I'm talking to you, Coach!!)

-Do not buy a bag unless you LOVE it. Repeat. Do not buy a bag unless you LOVE it.

-Do not buy a bag unless you LOVE it. Repeat. Do not buy a bag unless you LOVE it.
This would be my #1 thing I would tell someone. I also received great advice from my 26 yr old niece. After buying "it" bags every couple of years she suggested I venture into the premier bag market and buy one solid classic bag. Best advice she gave me except, if you are like me, you can't stop at just one bag! 2. I would say check quality. If you examine a good leather bag, it should withstand almost anything. It should be made well enough and tough enough to take the challenges of being worn. 3. Buy from a manufacturer with good CS. Unfortunately there are not many! Bottega Veneta has excellent service and Gucci has their own repair dept. and Hermes goes without saying. 4. Lastly, stick to a classic that you won't tire of in a year, a reliable bag that you want to go back to and wear time and time again. (Ferragamo, BV, etc.)

I agree with all of Bgaholics points. But I would say don't start collecting expensive handbags...collect something else instead--lol. It's too easy to get carried away, as BGaHolic also pointed out. ;)

Agree don't settle. All I really, really wanted was an LV Speedy but I couldn't convince myself or my husband that it was worth the money. I bought two Coach, two LAMB and a Kate Spade and still wanted my Speedy. I could have saved a lot of money if I just bought what I wanted to begin with!

And if it's a brand that goes on sale - take the chance of either getting it cheaper or missing out, unless you can't imagine life without it - after the first three I only bought at Winners (I'm in Canada, if you are in the US it's Marshall's or TJ Maxx) until I finally got my LV which never goes on sale.

Agree don't settle. All I really, really wanted was an LV Speedy but I couldn't convince myself or my husband that it was worth the money. I bought two Coach, two LAMB and a Kate Spade and still wanted my Speedy. I could have saved a lot of money if I just bought what I wanted to begin with!

And if it's a brand that goes on sale - take the chance of either getting it cheaper or missing out, unless you can't imagine life without it - after the first three I only bought at Winners (I'm in Canada, if you are in the US it's Marshall's or TJ Maxx) until I finally got my LV which never goes on sale.

I absolutely agree do not settle. You will still want what you want if you try to buy a less expensive replacement, btdt ;)

Reactions: pianolize