This is the best thread I've even seen. The patina on everyone's bag is beautiful. I just purchase a speedy 30 in azur. I can't wait for it to come in so I can try this! Now I just have to work up the courage to.

ok ill tell my speedy patina secrets . When you get your new bag put it in the sunlight for 3 days just 1 hour at a time . Turn bag once during the hour . on day 4 take a white cotton sock wet it ....wring it out super good then wipe down all the vachetta evenly Dont Scrub . Then set it on your dresser and let it dry overnight in the morning take a dry sock and polish vachetta softly . now every 3 months wipe down and polish it again. After the first time i wiped it i wore it in the rain :storm: and no water spots at all. The reason you want to do this every 3 months is because you dont want the handle to turn black . That black is just dirt . The handle sould stay my color or a little darker its whole life and never blacken. Also when you wipe the vachetta also wipe the canvas to keep it clean . Not sure if this will work on an older bag that is dirty already .
Hi Jessica. I am planning to do a Mon Monogram. Do you think it is ok if I am to put it in the sunlight?

ok ill tell my speedy patina secrets . When you get your new bag put it in the sunlight for 3 days just 1 hour at a time . Turn bag once during the hour . on day 4 take a white cotton sock wet it ....wring it out super good then wipe down all the vachetta evenly Dont Scrub . Then set it on your dresser and let it dry overnight in the morning take a dry sock and polish vachetta softly . now every 3 months wipe down and polish it again. After the first time i wiped it i wore it in the rain :storm: and no water spots at all. The reason you want to do this every 3 months is because you dont want the handle to turn black . That black is just dirt . The handle sould stay my color or a little darker its whole life and never blacken. Also when you wipe the vachetta also wipe the canvas to keep it clean . Not sure if this will work on an older bag that is dirty already .

Hi Jessica. I will be getting my mon mono Speedy. May I ask if it is ok to put a mon mono bag in the sunlight?

So, I obviously misread instruction not to SCRUB. I was trying to get an even match of water and scrubbed a bit (there were slightly darker marks and lighter marks and I wanted everything to match). Do you think that I accidentally have created watermarks that will show up later? Used a sock that was barely damp. Purse is about a month old and has been oxidizing since I bought it. TIA

So, I obviously misread instruction not to SCRUB. I was trying to get an even match of water and scrubbed a bit (there were slightly darker marks and lighter marks and I wanted everything to match). Do you think that I accidentally have created watermarks that will show up later? Used a sock that was barely damp. Purse is about a month old and has been oxidizing since I bought it. TIA
It will probably even out when it’s dried. I find it hard to keep everything even when doing this unless I saturate all the leather. But it looks fine when dried.

I wish I would have found this thread earlier!
I’ve tried using baby wipes (no alcohol no perfume) on my Vachetta and it feels grimy. The leather is not soft and buttery like before, really regret listening to all those Youtubers... My bag is about 4 months old and this was the first time I tried to clean it.

Reading all the positive results on this thread, I’m gonna try this method out and hope this works for me too!:angel:

Hello All
I used the patina champ’s method on my brand new speedy 25. I purchased this bag on 14 February this year . I have always been afraid of vachetta but took the plunge. I absolutely love the results. I tanned the bag for 3 days, a little bit longer than the 1 hour as we have had very bad weather over here. I used a sock and water to clean the vachetta and polished it the next day. I love the results. Sorry I had to take the pics from my iPhone.

Before:
87B82798-894E-4491-8432-905CBC4C1B6D.jpeg

After: ( with flash)
8D74BC95-7F8B-4635-9980-E4382366B095.jpeg

Without flash
02EB64B9-111D-47FC-B1CC-E60B75140843.jpeg

8B5C78D3-95A5-4316-A78D-4BD1E621208B.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello All
I used the patina champ’s method on my brand new speedy 25. I purchased this bag on 14 February this year . I have always been afraid of vachetta but took the plunge. I absolutely love the results. I tanned the bag for 3 days, a little bit longer than the 1 hour as we have had very bad weather over here. I used a sock and water to clean the vachetta and polished it the next day. I love the results. Sorry I had to take the pics from my iPhone.

Before:
View attachment 3986884

After: ( with flash)
View attachment 3986885

Without flash
View attachment 3986893

View attachment 3986892
Beautiful :smile:

How do you protect the vachetta at airport security scans? I just tried the patina champ method on my new speedy B 25 (so far so good) but I am worried about taking it on a trip this September.

How do you protect the vachetta at airport security scans? I just tried the patina champ method on my new speedy B 25 (so far so good) but I am worried about taking it on a trip this September.
The airport X-ray machines and bins are sooo dirty. I put my lv in another bag before I put it on the belt or in a bin. I use reusable grocery bags like envirosax for this. They are so light and fold down into little packages so I always have one in my lv bags for these situations. Then I just throw it in the wash.

Hiii! I just bought a Neverfull MM in Damier Azur and am looking to do this to the vachetta. Is it absolutely necessary to put it in the sun? It’s been so rainy lately so I was wondering if it could be done without? Thanks in advance