2022 Resolution: Shopping my own bag and SLG collection. Anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 Aug - brand showcase: A-F
4 Sept - brand showcase: G-L
11 Sept - brand showcase: M-R
18 Sept - brand showcase: S-Z
25 Sept - totes
2 Oct - satchels
9 Oct - crossbodies inc WOCS
16 Oct - shoulder bags
23 Oct - bucket bags
30 Oct - clutches
6 Nov - backpacks
13 Nov - bags that don’t count
20 Nov - pairing bags with shoes
27 Nov - pairing bags with other accessories
4 Dec - bag storage
11 Dec - SLGs
18 Dec - charms

Challenges:
Sept - bags in different locations
Oct - Halloween: wear orange or black bags
Nov - International Merlot Day: wear wine coloured bags or pair bags with wine.
Dec - use the bag.

Thinking talking of travels. My family and I are due to go to Tenerife in 3 weeks time for half term. It’s a trip twice rescheduled already. I don’t dare get my hopes up yet. We can only go if none of us tests positive before then. With my DDs and I at school every day until then and the amount of Covid amongst the children there it’s just going to be luck that gets us there. Part of the joy of a holiday is looking forward to it and planning which clothing and bags to take. I usually try on, make lists and pack loads in advance but I don’t dare even hope yet. Goodness knows, I need the joy of looking forward to it but I just don’t want to tempt fate!

My Loewe basket bag will have to stay in the cupboard for now. Here it is on the last foreign holiday I went on in 2019!
View attachment 5304404

I feel you so much on this one. I’m so ready to travel, I can’t see straight. Last spring when the vaccines came out, Mr J and I booked a trip to Tucson immediately after we were both vaccinated, planned to stay in a resort and live it up. Then the night before he threw out his back and we had to cancel everything. And with Delta and now Omicron, we’ve been hesitant to book anything else.

I can’t wait to be sipping Mai tais on a beach somewhere! I hope your trip works out, I’d never heard of it before but looked it up and it looks amazing!

I feel you so much on this one. I’m so ready to travel, I can’t see straight. Last spring when the vaccines came out, Mr J and I booked a trip to Tucson immediately after we were both vaccinated, planned to stay in a resort and live it up. Then the night before he threw out his back and we had to cancel everything. And with Delta and now Omicron, we’ve been hesitant to book anything else.

I can’t wait to be sipping Mai tais on a beach somewhere! I hope your trip works out, I’d never heard of it before but looked it up and it looks amazing!
That really stinks!

Totally agree it’s too short. It’s sad as it definitely reduces usability for me. I just hand carry on days I use the car. The Bayswater Tote I carried yesterday and today is really good over the shoulder but has very different straps. I carried it for my walking commute home yesterday and it remained on my shoulder and comfortable the whole way. It’s called a Bayswater too but as an open top tote it’s very different really.

Modelling shot for comparison with the Bayswater.
View attachment 5302700
(@JenJBS , this blouse is by Ted Baker too)

Love the shirt! I'm usually not a fan of floral prints, but that size print on a black background! :tup::yes:

I was looking over last years stats to see which bags I wore. A couple I had forced myself to wear to wear. I spent yesterday reorganizing them. One area felt so crowed and yet other areas were very open. I realized what made it so crowded were two travel bags that really shouldn't be stored with the handbags. One is the huge new art bag/travel bag. I cleaned out room in my art cabinet and put it in there for a grab and go option. The other was a big travel backpack with a travel sleeve. I was going to list it but my friend talked me out of it. She said it is the perfect travel backpack, find more space and keep it. I took it out of its original plastic bag and put it in its nice dust bag I could store it further back in a closet with my nicest bags yet not have to see it every day. This way I am not adding space but using the allotted space differently. Do you ever have issues with storage? I like my bags to be easily grabble and not squashed together and no bag in a bag , with the exception of suitcases.

The bag looks great on you. And ooooh… that BLOUSE!!!
Thanks! DH bought this blouse for me one Christmas without any hints.
I'm so sorry to hear that you got triggered. As you say, it can be the most innocuous thing. Nothing obvious to anyone else; but there it is, rattling around in your head and making you miserable.

I hope the bag cleaning session helps.

I never knew tattoo parlors did ear piercings! When you first wrote that you were going to the tattoo parlor with your new Alexa, I wondered if you were getting a celebratory pink tattoo!?!?! :tup:
Thanks. It’s rubbish really but it’s happening so much less often so that’s a good thing.

A pink tattoo, how funny! Alexa shaped? Never been to this place before but the good beauty place that I trusted with piercing closed down and this is the place everyone in my city recommends rather than Claire’s Accessories. Tattoo Parlours don’t use a piercing gun so it’s meant to be more accurate and hygienic. DD wanted to go there for her seconds. I’m not even sure about the second ear piercing let alone a tattoo!!
The 3 too-heavy bags (on probation) were my Mulberry Alexa (loved it, but it weighed a ton), my Mulberry Small Bayswater Double-Zip (gorgeous, not very heavy, but it was waaaay too deep for comfort), and my LV Capucines (too small & too heavy). The Mulberry bags I sold outright to Yoogi's in 2021. The Capucines had been on consignment at AFF for a couple of years but finally sold in 2021.

I was sad to let all of these go, because they were such high-quality, but now that they're gone I absolutely do NOT miss them.
We are all so similar (love bags) but yet so different. My favourite bag is your too heavy. “Vive le difference!” Gives us lots to chat about. Glad it worked out for you.
Um…
April 22: Earth Day (because… green growing things)
May 13: National Jump Like A Frog Day (as green as Kermit!)
September 19: International Talk Like A Pirate Day (a day for carrying a green bag and eating arrrrrrtichokes, arrrrrugula, & asparrrrrrrrragus!)
September 23: Hug A Vegetarian Day (okay, this one is obvious! get the danged bag already!)
:drinks:
Love this! Add St Patrick’s Day!
I totally understand how you you feel about the holiday... Covid has really taken the joy out of any planning and looking forward to travels. One never knows what will happen... will the rules change, will a test be positive... it´s really draining.

I´m keeping my fingers crossed for you to go as scheduled and have a great time!
Thank you! Me too.
View attachment 5304534Upgrade! I shopped my wardrobe by selling a box of random clothing items - actually I´ve already forgotten which exactly- to an online second hand dealer and for the proceeds (you get 30% extra when you go for shop credit) I bought a pair of Maison Margiela ankle boots...
Wonderful boots! Can’t have enough boots in my book!

You’ll be there soon too I hope.
Love the shirt! I'm usually not a fan of floral prints, but that size print on a black background! :tup::yes:
Thanks, I quite like these bold floral prints but always on a dark background.

Last edited:
I failed on use any bag yesterday and today. I walked into work and ran home so had my super lightweight running backpack. Today I have no plans other than a long slow run.

My bag cleaning session might be curtailed by needing to catch up with some paperwork this afternoon but I will treat my new bags at least. We will see.

How is everyone doing in shopping their closet and avoiding unnecessary purchases?

Any surprises so far as you wear bags you may have previously ignored / forgotten? Have you rekindled love for any former favorites? Any bags need to be rehomed?

What can we as a group do to support you as you shun more buying in favor of loving what you have?
I’m not doing brilliantly with this. I’m rotating well and using what I have at least. However, the January sales have lead me to purchase a couple of new clothes items. I bought a new dress for my cousin’s wedding later in the year instead of using one of the many beautiful dresses I already have. Then the pink Alexa. I am considering rehoming 3/4 bags and an SLG I never use and know I won’t. I want to speak to my DDs first to check they really don’t want them. Don’t want that regret!

I hope to do better in February but have just been paid and am already stalking a few things online. A pretty smaller card case/wallet for one thing, to go in evening bags. My medium wallet is an oak mulberry tree wallet, which is great for travel as its smaller than my long wallets. It’s got lovely leather and is very classic but not beautiful. I’ve been looking in the Aspinals sale which is so reasonable it’s very tempting (£25 each for coin case and pouch in silver, gold and rose gold). I have put rose gold and silver in my basket but have paused. But I know in my heart I prefer the mulberry pink SLGs. And @Jereni had amazing Chanel SLGs on another thread! Really classy and beautiful!

What are your thoughts on lots of SLGs. I find switching SLGs regularly far more irritating than switching bags!

Anyway, I really need to save my money for holiday spending cash in the hope we do get there so I’m trying hard! I’m forcing myself away from the internet to run 10k. Good for body, mind and soul!

How is everyone doing in shopping their closet and avoiding unnecessary purchases?

Any surprises so far as you wear bags you may have previously ignored / forgotten? Have you rekindled love for any former favorites? Any bags need to be rehomed?

What can we as a group do to support you as you shun more buying in favor of loving what you have?
I got a credit from PoshMark due to a buyer lying about condition in order to get a return. I am trying to use it but nothing is grabbing me. I have no big wants…I am at purse peace, clothes peace, shoe peace. Now I need to rotate through to decide what to keep and rehome the rest.

I have realized I love my Speedy 25. I need to wear my LVs more. They are lightweight and a great size/shape. As I wear it more, the mono and DE patterns feel less and less conspicuous. And women in Paris DO wear LV, regardless of what you may have read. I got sucked into the H rabbit hole and while I may eventually get 1 or 2 more, I may just be an LV girl. Saw the Evie in person in the airport and…nothing. Maybe because it was in chocolate brown? Which is not a brown that moves me.

One other thing I realized while in France… my style is definitely Parisian but for one big difference. I love/need color. Even the “colorful” scarves they wear as an accent tend to be dark neutrals like wine, teal, green, plum. A little red but only on flashier styled women. I know it’s winter but c’mon… While I will never be a pink or purple person, orange, red, blues and greens of all shades, even a little yellow are all going to be a regular part of my daily ensembles. I guess you can take the girl out of the States… I am curious to see how Italians wear color when we go this fall. Maybe my style is Italian and I just don’t know it yet. ;)

Last edited:
I got a credit from PoshMark due to a buyer lying about condition in irder to do a return. I am trying to use it but nothing is grabbing me. I have no big wants…I am at purse peace, clothes peace, shoe peace. Now I need to rotate through to decide what to keep and rehome the rest.

I have realized I love my Speedy 25. I need to wear my LVs more. They are lightweight and a great size/shape. As I wear it more, the mono and DE patterns feel less and less conspicuous. And women in Paris DO wear LV, regardless of what you may have read. I got sucked into the H rabbit hole and while I may eventually get 1 or 2 more, I may just be an LV girl. Saw the Evie in person in the airport and…nothing. Maybe because it was in chocolate brown? Which is not a brown that moves me.

One other thing I realized while in France… my style is definitely Parisian but for one big difference. I love/need color. Even the “colorful” scarves they wear as an accent tend to be dark neutrals like wine, teal, green, plum. A little red but only on flashier styled women. I know it’s winter but c’mon… While I will never be a pink or purple person, orange, red, blues and greens of all shades, even a little yellow are all going to be a regular part of my daily ensembles. I guess you can take the girl out of the States… I am curious to see how Italians wear color when we go this fall. Maybe my style is Italian and I just don’t know it yet. ;)
What about something for the new house?

I failed on use any bag yesterday and today. I walked into work and ran home so had my super lightweight running backpack. Today I have no plans other than a long slow run.

My bag cleaning session might be curtailed by needing to catch up with some paperwork this afternoon but I will treat my new bags at least. We will see.

I’m not doing brilliantly with this. I’m rotating well and using what I have at least. However, the January sales have lead me to purchase a couple of new clothes items. I bought a new dress for my cousin’s wedding later in the year instead of using one of the many beautiful dresses I already have. Then the pink Alexa. I am considering rehoming 3/4 bags and an SLG I never use and know I won’t. I want to speak to my DDs first to check they really don’t want them. Don’t want that regret!

I hope to do better in February but have just been paid and am already stalking a few things online. A pretty smaller card case/wallet for one thing, to go in evening bags. My medium wallet is an oak mulberry tree wallet, which is great for travel as its smaller than my long wallets. It’s got lovely leather and is very classic but not beautiful. I’ve been looking in the Aspinals sale which is so reasonable it’s very tempting (£25 each for coin case and pouch in silver, gold and rose gold). I have put rose gold and silver in my basket but have paused. But I know in my heart I prefer the mulberry pink SLGs. And @Jereni had amazing Chanel SLGs on another thread! Really classy and beautiful!

What are your thoughts on lots of SLGs. I find switching SLGs regularly far more irritating than switching bags!

Anyway, I really need to save my money for holiday spending cash in the hope we do get there so I’m trying hard! I’m forcing myself away from the internet to run 10k. Good for body, mind and soul!
I have a few slgs but not a lot. I don't rotate them often, so for me not worth it.

So, I’ve decided to move to a much more plant based diet. We tend to eat healthfully but this will still be a big change.

My biggest hurdle is I really do NOT like the taste of grains (including breads, pastas and rice) and I’m not the biggest fan of white potatoes or corn. Yet, I find a lot of vegetarian/ vegan recipes replace the heartiness of meat with these items.

Any suggestions on types of cuisine (beyond salads) that are full of colorful veggies (yum) and no starchy stuff?

Disclaimer: I'm just catching up with the thread so someone may have already written.

One of the reasons that vegan or semi-vegan diets mix grains with legumes or other protein-based foods in one meal is because we need the mix of amino acids to give us complete proteins. E.g. peanut butter on wholemeal bread will be a much better metabolised protein meal than just peanut butter, rice with peas etc.

I'm sure it's possible to make great meals without lots of carbs but just to make you aware of why most non-meat/dairydishes are built around the combos.

View attachment 5298740
Wear the bag #4-
Big ole crane in front of the Eiffel Tower, but yes, I brought her! She really is a great travel bag. Lightweight and n Courcheval and roomy in the 35 size.

Such a beautiful picture (crane and all) :loveeyes:

The perfect Les Toits de Paris shot (I didn't know if you know that scarf, it's by Dimitri Rybaltchenko)

The reason I wanted a Gold Bolide in the first place was because my aunt always carries one, hers is also Courcheval. Yours is looking very much at home in this shot.

I used my Speedy 30 Mini Lin Ebene - haven't used it in so many years. I love my other speedies but I'm not feeling the love for that one :crybaby: Although I'm trying to rotate a bag once a week, I used this one for 2 and still no joy. I think it might be time to rehome her-yikes! I'm not sure how long I'll wait to do so because I don't want any regrets. You'd think after years of not using it, it would be a no-brainer but nooooo.

Where I am not doing so well is with SLGs. I bought 3 already this month and I'm justifying their cost by saying they're less expensive than a bag :facepalm:

Thank-you so much! Honestly, I´m not that good a mum. I´m too old to have a young child and resort to "laisser faire" far too often, treating him an equal and lacking in structure. I made lots of mistakes with my younger 3 who are meanwhile grown up. With this last child of mine I´m often trying to make up for mistakes in the past, probably making more...

My mother wasn't text-book perfect either, far from it, she was very clever but kinda 'bohemian' but I wouldn't have swapped her for any other. You can only do what you can, you're the mother not the teacher or the school system (my brother went partly through the Soviet system). It is designed so that all children will flourish - whether they like to or not, and of course it's the parents' fault if they don't. I had to study Russian pedagogy for my teacher's training and most seems created to please figures at the top not the children (like university teaching today :biggrin:). DH grew up West Germany, he had a lot of pressure to excel in academia otherwise goodness forbid he'd end-up at a vocational school like his brother. Interestingly his brother went into the army and became a mechanic, then retrained and became a nurse, then a successful homeopathic doctor and now is Mr. Big Fish in his home town.

You may find that you have the kind of child that comes into their own when they're at uni or later in life in general. Just having high marks at school means very little in the long run except on this one-track mentality that everyone's in the same race, that only certain universities or careers are worth going to/having etc. School should be part of life, kids should look forward to going and learning new things, not having to be the best in class. IMO, the important thing is he doesn't lose faith in himself or thinks that everyone else in class finds it easy.

Silly moment. I think I mentioned I want to do a small fashion themed Christmas tree in my home office. Well, I bought some ornaments on eBay and am on the hunt for more. I can’t wait to see how the tree turns out this December. :biggrin: View attachment 5299340

OMG, I want KL and Ch and I don't even have a Christmas tree

Status
Not open for further replies.