2022 Resolution: Shopping my own bag and SLG collection. Anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 Aug - brand showcase: A-F
4 Sept - brand showcase: G-L
11 Sept - brand showcase: M-R
18 Sept - brand showcase: S-Z
25 Sept - totes
2 Oct - satchels
9 Oct - crossbodies inc WOCS
16 Oct - shoulder bags
23 Oct - bucket bags
30 Oct - clutches
6 Nov - backpacks
13 Nov - bags that don’t count
20 Nov - pairing bags with shoes
27 Nov - pairing bags with other accessories
4 Dec - bag storage
11 Dec - SLGs
18 Dec - charms

Challenges:
Sept - bags in different locations
Oct - Halloween: wear orange or black bags
Nov - International Merlot Day: wear wine coloured bags or pair bags with wine.
Dec - use the bag.

Hi All! :wave: I skipped around on a few pages to try to catch up but gave up. So, I hope everyone is doing well!

Life for me has hit a great place. A new job and decorating a new house are keeping me super busy in happy ways. (I literally gutted the first floor and we’re living with dust and mayhem. Our “kitchen” is a mini fridge with a hot plate and microwave on a chef’s table in the sitting area of our bedroom. LOL!)

BUT! I’m back on the forum because I’m thinking of selling a couple of my Chanel bags and wanted to get my head back in the bag game to see if that’s the right decision. :confused1: My post Covid lifestyle is different and my personal style continues to evolve so they don’t hit the bullseye for me anymore. And, they somehow feel a bit dated…a bit of a yawn.

Now I’m not saying no Chanels ever. I actually finally gave in and bought the gold mini I’ve been wanting. But I just don’t wear the bigger bags (jumbos or Boy) much at all.

So, I’m going to lurk the forum a bit to see what potential replacements catch my eye as I ponder if I should sell. I don’t want to regret letting them go but I also don’t need bags IF (big if) I won’t ever really use them much anymore. Hmmmmm…
Congrats! Everything sounds amazing, and I’m glad to see you back :smile: DH and I are also in the midst of our gut renovation and ordering all the furniture. . . It’s a lot to take in! (But it’s our second apt, so we do have a place to live). I’m glad you got your gold mini, and think that if your lifestyle has changed, you absolutely should give up some bags. . .

my bags that don’t count are my travel bags including a Goyard St. Louis PM that I fold flat and tuck into one of my carry ones as an extra (just in case) bag. Also, bags that I stopped wearing and loaned to my mom (as opposed to those that I have given her as a gift)

My two cents as a person that uses a backpack for work - I use it because it’s comfortable. The two padded shoulder straps makes it extremely comfortable & easy to use. I tried briefcases when I first started working professionally. I didn’t like one shoulder/one arm carry.

It's true, but the guys I sit with on the train with are literally called 'City Boys' in finance, corporate law and aviation insurance, and work in the City of London. They are wearing $2K suits, H ties, whole flagons of Dior Sauvage, and handmade shoes - with ugly nylon backpacks.

It's true, but the guys I sit with on the train with are literally called 'City Boys' in finance, corporate law and aviation insurance, and work in the City of London. They are wearing $2K suits, H ties, whole flagons of Dior Sauvage, and handmade shoes - with ugly nylon backpacks.
In NY, it’s similar, except with worse shoes and a lot of tumi backpacks or cases. There were decades of Davidoff cool water; Burberry Brit; and then le labo, I forget which one, but I think all of mid town Manhattan wore the same.

ETA: le labo Santal 33 :smile:

Last edited:
Yesterday the universe- or a technical glitch - saved me from buying a bag just because there was a coupon code. Said code simply didn´t work no matter how often I tried, so I gave up and let it expire. Today I´m fine with not having bought the bag. I like it, but more in general than specifically. It´s the Diorama satchel in cracked deerskin. The one I almost got was burgundy with gold HW. When I´m honest and not solely focused on the price I´d prefer it in black or dark grey with silver. One day one at a price I´m willing to pay will turn up and the code will work!
Until then I´ll simply wear one of the numerous bags I already own on the reare occasions I leave the house with a handbag. School is awful atm. So much of my time goes into doing research, preparing notes and feeding the information to my DS, who otherwise wouldn´t do anything and fail his tests.
And when I have time I´m sitting over one of the silliest sewing projects ever. I bought a 50ies mens´leather jacket for cheap. It looked so good in the sales pictures and fit me fairly well when it arrived. But then I had a close look and noticed it had been altered before. The alteration obviously was done by somebody without any sewing experience. So shoddy, so hatchet style. Guess who unpicked the whole thing! Now I´m trying to put the puzzle back together, making the lines better, add new leather to places that were simply hacked away... it takes so much time and I´m not sure I will be able to solve it.

Thanks @whateve!

I’m glad you’re happy with your remodeling results! I keep reminding myself of how nice it will be but, we’re only a month in and I’m over it.

We bought in the same general area but a different township. This Phase 1 remodel covers the entry, formal living, kitchen, my home office, hearth room, and laundry room. So I can’t even do laundry. :doh: Phase II will be the master suite, media room and exercise room. I’d intended to do them in the spring but Mr. Sparkle gets a squinty glare when I mention that timing. LOL! I think he’s going to demand a break.

So, I’m simultaneously excited, tired and antsy.
It is so disruptive! The only way we would have moved is if the new house was already perfect. It seemed easier to remodel than move. Now that it is done, I wish we had it done it years ago.

We were lucky in that the contractors re-hooked up the washer and dryer for the weekends when they weren't working on the house, so we never had to go to a laundromat. The part of the house that is left would just need painting and new flooring, but we have a lot of heavy furniture that no one wants to move so it would be difficult to get done, and most of the walls need re-texturizing. I'm glad that we expanded the scope of the project when they were here, so we had the cabinets in a couple bathrooms refinished, and repainted the walls in those bathrooms. DH overrode my desire to get those bathroom floors redone at the same time. I really hate those floors!

Yesterday the universe- or a technical glitch - saved me from buying a bag just because there was a coupon code. Said code simply didn´t work no matter how often I tried, so I gave up and let it expire. Today I´m fine with not having bought the bag. I like it, but more in general than specifically. It´s the Diorama satchel in cracked deerskin. The one I almost got was burgundy with gold HW. When I´m honest and not solely focused on the price I´d prefer it in black or dark grey with silver. One day one at a price I´m willing to pay will turn up and the code will work!
Until then I´ll simply wear one of the numerous bags I already own on the reare occasions I leave the house with a handbag. School is awful atm. So much of my time goes into doing research, preparing notes and feeding the information to my DS, who otherwise wouldn´t do anything and fail his tests.
And when I have time I´m sitting over one of the silliest sewing projects ever. I bought a 50ies mens´leather jacket for cheap. It looked so good in the sales pictures and fit me fairly well when it arrived. But then I had a close look and noticed it had been altered before. The alteration obviously was done by somebody without any sewing experience. So shoddy, so hatchet style. Guess who unpicked the whole thing! Now I´m trying to put the puzzle back together, making the lines better, add new leather to places that were simply hacked away... it takes so much time and I´m not sure I will be able to solve it.
I had a similar experience. I was trying to buy a bag from a department store website, and as I was checking out, they offered me 20% off if I applied for their credit card. So I applied for the card but when I tried to checkout, the card didn't work. I think something about the expiration date was screwed up, and they couldn't help me over the phone. They said I have to wait for the card to come in the mail. By that time the bag could be sold out. In my disappointment, I ordered another bag from another site. I may end up with both bags or none.

Hi All! :wave: I skipped around on a few pages to try to catch up but gave up. So, I hope everyone is doing well!

Life for me has hit a great place. A new job and decorating a new house are keeping me super busy in happy ways. (I literally gutted the first floor and we’re living with dust and mayhem. Our “kitchen” is a mini fridge with a hot plate and microwave on a chef’s table in the sitting area of our bedroom. LOL!)

BUT! I’m back on the forum because I’m thinking of selling a couple of my Chanel bags and wanted to get my head back in the bag game to see if that’s the right decision. :confused1: My post Covid lifestyle is different and my personal style continues to evolve so they don’t hit the bullseye for me anymore. And, they somehow feel a bit dated…a bit of a yawn.

Now I’m not saying no Chanels ever. I actually finally gave in and bought the gold mini I’ve been wanting. But I just don’t wear the bigger bags (jumbos or Boy) much at all.

So, I’m going to lurk the forum a bit to see what potential replacements catch my eye as I ponder if I should sell. I don’t want to regret letting them go but I also don’t need bags IF (big if) I won’t ever really use them much anymore. Hmmmmm…

Good to see you back! Congratulations on the new job, and new house!!!

Bags that don’t count: I have several (categories, that is!).
- If it’s in the pile to be given away, or consigned, then I don’t count them.
- If it’s a reusable bag (think Trader Joe’s, lululemon), then I don’t count them. I have several cotton canvas totes I use for mall shopping; I also don’t count those.
- If it’s a travel bag, then I often don’t count them. Exceptions include my LV Neverfulls (three) and my Goyard St. Louis (two). They weren’t cheap and I use them for work in addition to travel, so I count them. I don’t, however, count my four Longchamp Le Pliage bags. Yes, I’m a conundrum, but in my defense, those are strictly used for travel, so… (I can rationalize anything. Watch me!)
- Beach bags don’t count (because I’m not Marc Jacobs; my Neverfulls have never touched the sand).
- lululemon bags don’t count. I bought most of them during the early days of COVID because they were easy to wipe down. Turns out they’re lightweight and functional, so I’ve kept them in heavy rotation. I may or may not have just purchased a newer style crossbody (like just last week)…

I suspect if I counted all of the above as part of my collection, then DH might disown me!

Welcome back! Looking forward to hearing more about how you’ll further work on your collection!

I’ve always loved your Dior Promenade WOC. Gorgeous necklace and ring, too!
Thank you! I believe the necklace is jade. I haven't worn these in a long time, but thought the green color looked pretty against the black bag. It was gifted to me by my aunt when I was in college. When it comes to beaded necklaces, for some reason, I don't wear them very often and when I do, I typically prefer to double the strands and wear them close to the neckline rather than as a long dangling necklace.

Welcome, nice to see you back! Congrats on the new job and house! As for bags, I remember you really wanted the gold mini, and it's great to hear that you added it to your collection. Hope you will share a pic sometime.:smile:

Great to see you Sparkle! Congratulations on your new job and new home!

Reactions: baghabitz34
It is so disruptive! The only way we would have moved is if the new house was already perfect. It seemed easier to remodel than move. Now that it is done, I wish we had it done it years ago.

We were lucky in that the contractors re-hooked up the washer and dryer for the weekends when they weren't working on the house, so we never had to go to a laundromat. The part of the house that is left would just need painting and new flooring, but we have a lot of heavy furniture that no one wants to move so it would be difficult to get done, and most of the walls need re-texturizing. I'm glad that we expanded the scope of the project when they were here, so we had the cabinets in a couple bathrooms refinished, and repainted the walls in those bathrooms. DH overrode my desire to get those bathroom floors redone at the same time. I really hate those floors!
It sounds like a fabulous dream to be all done, congrats:smile: I am so happy for you

agree with @dcooney4 that it’s important to wear all the little bags from the pricy ones to the little fun ones! Hope to see pics of yours when I scroll back in the thread

@Sparkletastic , JMO , but I wouldn’t sell a forever bag like the jumbo too soon. Sometimes I don’t wear something for five or, cough, ten years, but then I fall back in love. other times I rehome and then have to repurchase at a higher price. The only time I might is when I’ve purchased a replacement (i think like your gold mini replacing your gold boy?
Of course, if it was never right to begin with, that is different, but that doesn’t seem to be the case with the jumbo
Then again, at least for me, it’s been several decades since I’ve completely refurnished a new place, and wow dining room tables, dining chairs, and couches are pricy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.