2021 Resolution: Shopping my own bag and SLG collection. Any one else?

NOVEMBER ACTIVITIES

1. Bags by Brand Showcase!

Each week, share photos of your bags from the specified brands. Choose a posed “beauty” shot or get your bags out and about in action shots!

We highlight 3 brands per week: 2 premier and 1 contemporary in alphabetical order as listed on tPF. Any brands not listed are showcased in our last week. Brands change to the next set each Sunday.

Our first brand week starts now - Sunday, Oct 31. Please share photos of bags from these brands:
  • Bottega Venetta
  • Burberry
  • Alexander Wang

Tip: Grab your photos from last year in the 2020 resolution thread. Search your user name and the brand to find your photos.

2. Special Stories
Thanks @Claudia Herzog for the suggestion

Wear a bag that has a backstory involving a person, place, or opportunity for which you feel grateful.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so proud of everyone who has kept up this thread for the many years that it has been in action. I think this will be the third or fourth year that I have tried to join this challenge and have not been able to see it through, but I am hoping to make a bigger dent in my goals this year. :smile: This year we added our second baby to our family and I feel like I want to reclaim my identity by working on my goals.

2020 I acquired:
Evelyne GM
Palms Springs MM
Chanel Large Shopper
Chanel Deauville

2020 I sold:
Evelyne GM

Current Collection (which I curated during 2020)
LV Mono Looping PM (sentimental)
LV OnMySide (sentimental)
Chanel Jumbo
Chanel Square Mini
Celine Micro Luggage
Palms Springs MM
Chanel Large Shopper
Chanel Medium Deauville

Goals: Do not buy a bag unless I am filling a need in my current collection and have thought about it for at least a month

My first time posting here! I hope to see through my challenge for 2021 and see everyone else work through theirs! Thanks to the lockdown, I've had some time to look through my closet and take an inventory of my bags and SLGs. While I do not have as much as some wonderful members here, I think I still have more bags than what I'm comfortable with (currently sitting at 25), especially since some of them probably costed more than my friends' collection put together. However, I love bags and don't want to stop my collection, so for 2021:

Goals:
  • Purchase bags from independent designers/small businesses
  • Purchase 1 bag from Polene (Numero Un in trio vert croc) - waiting for it to go back in stock
  • Buy less black
Have a wonderful holiday season to all! :wave:

Last edited:
I'm in! Hopefully I will be more active in this thread.

As for my goals for 2021:
  • Donate 2 bags. They are still sitting on my shelf.
  • Sell one bag
  • Spend less on bags
  • Buy 1 bag, Mulberry mini chestnut alexa being top of my wishlist.
  • Invest on good quality wool skirts for the winter.
Ever since I acquired my HG (Moynat Cabotin), my urge to shop handbags has somewhat lessened. Which is good since
my long term plan is to save lots of money and putting it towards my down payment savings account. I was never interested in buying one when I was in my early twenties. Now that I am nearing 30 and already halfway my masters i feel like I should start making smart investments for the future. The number one driving factor behind my decision is the fact that the prices of the properties here has risen enormously in recent years and will continue to do so, although it's nowhere near as bad as it's in some other big European cities. Or any major big cities.
Great goals! Good luck with growing your home downpayment fund!

Definitely joining in this year!

My goals this year:
Only purchase 2 new (or new to me) bags - ideally one in the first six months, and one in the second.
Use each of my bags at least ten times over the course of the year - if I don’t get the use, try to evaluate if they should stay.
Generally be better at wearing all of my clothes, rather than reaching for the same jacket and same boots.

Fingers crossed I can stick to it!
You can do it! :clap:

I'm joining in! I have thirty something bags and it gets stressful when I feel it is way more than I have the capacity to appreciate. The marginal utility is so low for each additional bag since I have to spread the love around thinner than I feel is fair to the bags. I know it's nuts to worry that my purses have feelings but I just need to feel that I have few enough bags that I can realistically commit to carrying each purse more often than once a month. In other words, less than thirty. Preferably less than twenty. If I can't look my bags in the face and honestly tell each one that " I will carry you more than once ( so at least twice ), on average, a month". So if I go over 15 then I can't say that to them anymore and I feel guilty. I'm certifiable.
I like this thought and apply it to my bags, as well!
There are 365 days in a year, how often will I wear each bag? With the right bags (and fewer bags) => I can wear my favourites with greater frequency.
Good luck with your move and with making progress on your goals!

Last edited:
I’m back in too!!

So I first started in this thread in 2020, just reading. And before I knew it, I was tracking stats and getting involved. So, looking back. 2020 was a year of upheaval, with moving, buying a house and cleaning out another house, and my parents having major health concerns.

2020 YTD
Bags In: 7
Bags Out: 24
Accessories In: 11
Jewelry and Accessories Out: 90

in addition, I sold 63 books and 6 home decor items. Of the seven bags I purchased, two have been adopted by VintageMama.

I still have a lot more stuff to process and analyze. So, my North Star for 2021 is simplicity.

As a goal, I will
1) touch everything I own this year.
2) no net gain - no buying anything for my closet unless I can fund it with things I’ve sold.
3) including my donations, do a 2021 in 2021. Eliminate 2021 items from my home.
@Vintage Leather, congratulations on all of your bag, jewelry, accessories, books and home decor outs! :clap: :clap: :clap:
I hope your parents’ health is improving.
I love your clear, well written goals. I am in awe of your 2021 item elimination goal!

My Goal for this year is similar to last year.
1. I must remain with in the shelf space allotted. No squeezing bags to make room.
2. Stay firmly in my budget.
3. No bags that weigh over two pounds, preferably less.
4. Rotate and use all my bags, with the exception of specialty bags.
5. Keep my bag list and photos more up to date and look at it before I make a purchase.
6. Have fun with them.
Great goals dc, I especially like #1, as many others have stated. :flowers:

My shopping goals for 2021 are:

To sell:
  • LV eva clutch
  • Louboutin Junior satin sneakers OR velvet Walk'n'Dior (I guess which one will sell first :lol: )
To buy:
  • My first Chanel (thinking of a vertical clutch, WOCor other SLG):love:
In 2020 I think I've managed to hit all my shopping goals:
  • Valentino flats
  • Valentino sandals
  • Walk'n'Dior sneakers (my first Dior)
  • LV small bag (eva clutch)
  • Louboutin sneakers (my first Louboutin)
  • LV shawl
  • Valentino Rockstud gloves:heart:
For 2021 I definitely want to stop buying so much and concentrate on enjoying things I already own.
Congratulations on your 2020 additions and best wishes on your 2021 goals!

I'm excited to shop my own next year. I had intended to do it right in 2020 but, as it was a rollercoaster of a year, I made a lot of weird, and some very wrong, decisions around my bag closet.
I learned a lot from participating in the 2020 thread even though I didn't quite achieve my personal goals. I learned about fashion, history, architecture, painting and all manner of unexpected life lessons! :heart:
I made friends who rooted for me as I battled covid and other health issues, and welcomed me back when I recovered. I cannot imagine not being a part of this thread moving forward. I think I'd miss out on too much knowledge, laughter, bag (and fur baby) photos, and of course, I'd miss the amazing company! :love:

Bag closet goals:

-As it stands, I have 38 bags (half are self-bought, half gifted to me) and 6 SLGs. My collection has grown exponentially and unintentionally in a matter of 2 years, leaving me feeling quite overwhelmed by it.
I love every bag in my collection presently but definitely want to downsize. I feel like I may be able to release 5 bags in the next year as a first step towards a more curated bag closet.
My ultimate goal is to cut down to 16 special bags, but I have no definite timeline for this, merely the intention to gradually donate bags from my collection as and when I feel it is time that someone else enjoys them.

-I spent all of 2020 unemployed for the first time in my adult life, so next year is going to be about hopefully securing gainful employment and rebuilding my life. Six of my bags are "office/work" bags and I really hope I get to use them all in the coming year. My industry completely sank with the pandemic and I cannot picture what work will look like in this next chapter, but I'm holding out hope that those bags will get used!

- There is a possibility I'll add in 1 new bag, but only if it fills a void in my closet and only if it's a brand that I have tried and tested before, or one that has a solid reputation for quality. I was thoroughly disappointed when I tested a new brand last year (Aimee Kestenberg :yucky:-> sorry for being petty). I won't be repeating that mistake.
If I were to add something, it would likely be Portland Leather Goods, Marco Massaccesi, Hammitt or Coach. Those brands are within my budget (at least until I'm employed again) and have stellar reputations and great quality products.

- This will be my first time formally tracking bag stats and I'm excited to see where I'll end up. I'd like to think it'll make me more mindful.

- My last goal is to speak less and listen more on the thread. The chaotic year I had meant that I rambled on far too much in the last thread but said little of substance. I was lost and overwhelmed and it bled into everything, including my posts.
I hope as I regain my health and find my footing again, I will be able to make more valuable contributions and help others here as they have helped me. In the meantime, I look forward to following along and learning ever more from all the brilliant and generous people on here.

Fingers crossed 2021 will have less stress, more laughter and plenty of fun bag challenges that we can all participate in because the world is safe to step back into. :drinks:
Great to have you back, on the thread and with regaining your health and strength! Best wishes on your job search and with making progress on your goals. Feel free to speak as much as you want, just be yourself!

I am so proud of everyone who has kept up this thread for the many years that it has been in action. I think this will be the third or fourth year that I have tried to join this challenge and have not been able to see it through, but I am hoping to make a bigger dent in my goals this year. :smile: This year we added our second baby to our family and I feel like I want to reclaim my identity by working on my goals.

2020 I acquired:
Evelyne GM
Palms Springs MM
Chanel Large Shopper
Chanel Deauville

2020 I sold:
Evelyne GM

Current Collection (which I curated during 2020)
LV Mono Looping PM (sentimental)
LV OnMySide (sentimental)
Chanel Jumbo
Chanel Square Mini
Celine Micro Luggage
Palms Springs MM
Chanel Large Shopper
Chanel Medium Deauville

Goals: Do not buy a bag unless I am filling a need in my current collection and have thought about it for at least a month
It’s great to have you in the thread! Congratulations on adding baby#2 to your family! Great 2020 additions and overall collection. Which ones do you carry most frequently?

Reactions: keodi and jblended
I like this thought and apply it to my bags, as well!
There are 365 days in a year, how often will I wear each bag? With the right bags (and fewer bags) => I can wear my favourites with greater frequency.
Good luck with your move and with making progress on your goals!
OMG thank goodness I'm not the only one! You put it better than I did. I want each of very favorite my day to day bags to be carried quite a bit because I love them so! Unfortunately (?!)right now I feel like I adore All of them but of course there's tippy top favorites and then bags you are just a normal amount crazy about. I'll have to consider gifting more to my staff. There's only two of them so I can "give everyone a bag" even when only Re-homing two. The problem is they've already gotten 4-5 each and they are not bag people per se so they probably feel they have enough bags for the coming decade and they'll be slightly befuddled at the amount, if they end up with ten bags by the end of next year . :hrmm:

Maaaaaybe I need to have a dozen top tier bags in heavy rotation and then a second string lineup that I assign specialty use that rotates much more slowly & decide I'm okay with owning those without really dedicating very much of my time to spend carrying them.:confused1:

There's only two of them so I can "give everyone a bag" even when only Re-homing two. The problem is they've already gotten 4-5 each and they are not bag people per se so they probably feel they have enough bags for the coming decade and they'll be slightly befuddled at the amount, if they end up with ten bags by the end of next year . :hrmm:

I run into this problem regularly because I like to gift and I never sell. Have you considered other people whom you can gift a bag to? For instance, someone in my neighbourhood lost her job last year and was struggling with basics. I gave her a 'work' bag for interviews, a 'fun' bag to bring some cheer, and tableware as it was something she mentioned she was lacking at the time.
Right now, I'm asking my neighbours if they know anyone who has been particularly hard hit by the pandemic so that I can create care packages and drop them off anonymously. There's a good chance if the recipient is female or has a daughter, a bag will be included in the package.
I've also given some backpacks filled with supplies to homeless women.
For small, fun bags, you can gift to friends' children if they're of the right age. I have found it's always appreciated by both the parents and the kids.
Or if you have your own kids, you can see if their friends would like one of your bags.

It's tricky because it depends on the bags you're looking to re-home. None of those options are suitable for premiere bags, but if you have a few that are contemporary, you should be able to find homes for them outside of your usual avenues.

I do run an anti poverty nonprofit so I can locate people in need, it's just that I prefer to gift to women who are actually in my life, so I can somehow match the bag to a woman who will adore it, because I'm so attached to my acquisitions. :heart: But that type of oportunity is rare. I'm psyched I was able to gift 4 away this year with those standards. IfI owned Michael Kors, coach,etc... That would be a slam dunk and easy to find a thrilled woman to take them, butI don't have any non-premiere bags that have any mass brand recognition. My non-premiere are lesser known for sure. Even Alexander Wang and Carlos Falchi, my 2 'most famous' contemporary bags, would be hard to find someone who would care anything about them and those I'm not parting with anyway.
I'm thinking of, like, a few of my Just Campagnes that I never seem to use...the Lonsak tote or the confort1 or one of my 3 Devilles.... Maybe when I move and make new friends I'll be able to find good recipients!

5. Avoid bags without leather lining. I despise poufy, loosely attached fabric linings that take up precious cargo space in my purse. My dior new lock has a horrible bulky tripartite liner that makes digging through the sections to see what is in the bottom difficult! I do not want to hand burrow. I want to open her up and see everything immediately, no hiding places. And lambskin feels so much nicer against my skin than synthetic materials, so even if the liner is glued to the bag like contact paper, still no go unless it's a bag I can't even fathom walking away from, it's so delicious in every other way.

This sounds like "good-bey New Lock" and "welcome Miss Dior" to me- maybe the model with the sliding chain!