2021 Resolution: Shopping my own bag and SLG collection. Any one else?

NOVEMBER ACTIVITIES

1. Bags by Brand Showcase!

Each week, share photos of your bags from the specified brands. Choose a posed “beauty” shot or get your bags out and about in action shots!

We highlight 3 brands per week: 2 premier and 1 contemporary in alphabetical order as listed on tPF. Any brands not listed are showcased in our last week. Brands change to the next set each Sunday.

Our first brand week starts now - Sunday, Oct 31. Please share photos of bags from these brands:
  • Bottega Venetta
  • Burberry
  • Alexander Wang

Tip: Grab your photos from last year in the 2020 resolution thread. Search your user name and the brand to find your photos.

2. Special Stories
Thanks @Claudia Herzog for the suggestion

Wear a bag that has a backstory involving a person, place, or opportunity for which you feel grateful.

Last edited by a moderator:

papertiger

MOD
Authenticator
O.G.
May 23, 2009
Dear everyone, in the absence of @eggtartapproved, I am starting this thread for 2021, carried on from:

In these threads, we support each other with differing goals and objectives, although all underpinned with the overall desire of discovering what is perhaps hidden in the dark recesses of our wardrobes, lofts, attics and editing, curating, refining, redefining or updating our bag wardrobes.

There are other threads that are best suited to outright bans, shopping addictions and minimalist bag collections, so if those objectives for 2021 are far closer to your resolution(s) please do a word-search in this forum to help support your goal(s).

My objectives for this year are similar to years gone by:
1 Bag - for Gucci centenary and it must be :love: :loveeyes: - Could be new, could be amazing pre-loved.
Perhaps my H HG (not telling)
2 bags must leave
Get to grips with SLGs and use the ones I have presently

+
2 scarves per season (any brand) whether new or pre-loved (2 seasons a year)
Blitz RTW further, full-scale overhaul
Rid myself of 5" + heel shoes and boots I never, ever wear (apart from Guccis :biggrin: )

Last edited:
Definitely joining in this year!

My goals this year:
Only purchase 2 new (or new to me) bags - ideally one in the first six months, and one in the second.
Use each of my bags at least ten times over the course of the year - if I don’t get the use, try to evaluate if they should stay.
Generally be better at wearing all of my clothes, rather than reaching for the same jacket and same boots.

Fingers crossed I can stick to it!

Thanks for getting the ball rolling on 2021 goals @papertiger. I have gone through periods of growth, acquisition, stability, downsizing, conscious editing, mindful purchasing and continuously learning. I began tracking my handbag usage in 2014. I started in previous versions of this thread in 2016, silently observing and photographing my bags in groups (by colour, brand, size), identifying overlaps, confirming favourite and least favourite bags in that grouping, knowing what not to buy more of. I edited, sold and donated one third of my bags in 2016. I added four bags in 2017 (big upgrades and anchors to my current bag wardrobe, three are my most used bags), which was the beginning of a 100% success rate on acquisitions (thank you for sharing that concept @Sparkletastic.) I started feeling queasy about the overall purchase price of my bag wardrobe and released a third of my bags in 2018. I executed a one in one out policy in 2019 with two acquisitions. 2020 has been ... 2020, although not an original goal - it was a year of zero ins and zero outs in bags, SLGs and scarves.

2021 Goals/Habits
  • Edit my belongings to what I love, use and find beautiful
  • Reduce my possessions, I have enough
  • Use and enjoy what I choose to keep, shop my closet
  • Be selective, thoughtful and mindful for things I purchase
  • Only buy for gaps in the wardrobe or better than I already have, per @papertiger
  • Continue practicing a 1 in 1 or more out policy
  • Continue tracking my wears of bags, clothing, shoes and jewelry
  • Continue to put perceived wants on a 30 Day Delayed Gratification List
My overlying goal is to have enough bags to work for my lifestyle and my desire for variety and few enough to wear them frequently => to curate a collection of bags that I love and carry frequently.

Last edited:
Thanks for getting the ball rolling on 2021 goals @papertiger. I have gone through periods of growth, acquisition, stability, downsizing, conscious editing, mindful purchasing and continuously learning. I began tracking my handbag usage in 2014. I started in previous versions of this thread in 2016, silently observing and photographing my bags in groups (by colour, brand, size), identifying overlaps, confirming favourite and least favourite bags in that grouping, knowing what not to buy more of. I edited, sold and donated one third of my bags in 2016. I added four bags in 2017 (big upgrades and anchors to my current bag wardrobe, three are my most used bags), which was the beginning of a 100% success rate on acquisitions (thank you for sharing that concept @Sparkletastic.) I started feeling queasy about the overall purchase price of my bag wardrobe and released a third of my bags in 2018. I executed a one in one out policy in 2019 with two acquisitions. 2020 has been ... 2020, although not an original goal - it was a year of zero ins and zero outs in bags, SLGs and scarves.

2021 Goals/Habits
  • Edit my belongings to what I love, use and find beautiful
  • Reduce my possessions, I have enough
  • Use and enjoy what I choose to keep, shop my closet
  • Be selective, thoughtful and mindful for things I purchase
  • Only buy for gaps in the wardrobe or better than I already have, per @papertiger
  • Continue practicing a 1 in 1 or more out policy
  • Continue tracking my wears of bags, clothing, shoes and jewelry
  • Continue to put perceived wants on a 30 Day Delayed Gratification List
My overlying goal is to have enough bags to work for my lifestyle and my desire for variety and few enough to wear them frequently => to curate a collection of bags that I love and carry frequently.

Wow you're so organised, I take my hat off to you :yw:

Definitely joining in this year!

My goals this year:
Only purchase 2 new (or new to me) bags - ideally one in the first six months, and one in the second.
Use each of my bags at least ten times over the course of the year - if I don’t get the use, try to evaluate if they should stay.
Generally be better at wearing all of my clothes, rather than reaching for the same jacket and same boots.

Fingers crossed I can stick to it!

Love these goals, very clear and mapped-out

I'm in! Hopefully I will be more active in this thread.

As for my goals for 2021:
  • Donate 2 bags. They are still sitting on my shelf.
  • Sell one bag
  • Spend less on bags
  • Buy 1 bag, Mulberry mini chestnut alexa being top of my wishlist.
  • Invest on good quality wool skirts for the winter.
Ever since I acquired my HG (Moynat Cabotin), my urge to shop handbags has somewhat lessened. Which is good since
my long term plan is to save lots of money and putting it towards my down payment savings account. I was never interested in buying one when I was in my early twenties. Now that I am nearing 30 and already halfway my masters i feel like I should start making smart investments for the future. The number one driving factor behind my decision is the fact that the prices of the properties here has risen enormously in recent years and will continue to do so, although it's nowhere near as bad as it's in some other big European cities. Or any major big cities.

Last edited:
I'm joining in! I have thirty something bags and it gets stressful when I feel it is way more than I have the capacity to appreciate. The marginal utility is so low for each additional bag since I have to spread the love around thinner than I feel is fair to the bags. I know it's nuts to worry that my purses have feelings but I just need to feel that I have few enough bags that I can realistically commit to carrying each purse more often than once a month. In other words, less than thirty. Preferably less than twenty. If I can't look my bags in the face and honestly tell each one that " I will carry you more than once ( so at least twice ), on average, a month". So if I go over 15 then I can't say that to them anymore and I feel guilty. I'm certifiable.

I’m back in too!!

So I first started in this thread in 2020, just reading. And before I knew it, I was tracking stats and getting involved. So, looking back. 2020 was a year of upheaval, with moving, buying a house and cleaning out another house, and my parents having major health concerns.

2020 YTD
Bags In: 7
Bags Out: 24
Accessories In: 11
Jewelry and Accessories Out: 90

in addition, I sold 63 books and 6 home decor items. Of the seven bags I purchased, two have been adopted by VintageMama.

I still have a lot more stuff to process and analyze. So, my North Star for 2021 is simplicity.

As a goal, I will
1) touch everything I own this year.
2) no net gain - no buying anything for my closet unless I can fund it with things I’ve sold.
3) including my donations, do a 2021 in 2021. Eliminate 2021 items from my home.

I'm in! Hopefully I will be more active in this thread.

As for my goals for 2021:
  • Donate 2 bags. They are still sitting on my shelf.
  • Sell one bag
  • Spend less on bags
  • Buy 1 bag, Mulberry mini chestnut alexa being top of my wishlist.
  • Invest on good quality wool skirts for the winter.
Ever since I acquired my HG (Moynat Cabotin), my urge to shop handbags has somewhat lessened. Which is good since
my long term plan is to save lots of money and putting it towards my down payment savings account. I was never interested in buying one when I was in my early twenties. Now that I am nearing 30 and already halfway my masters i feel like I should start making smart investments for the future. The number one driving factor behind my decision is the fact that the prices of the properties here has risen enormously in recent years and will continue to do so, although it's nowhere near as bad as it's in some other big European cities. Or any major big cities.

Very wise.

After-all, gotta have somewhere to keep all our bags :winkiss:

I’m back in too!!

So I first started in this thread in 2020, just reading. And before I knew it, I was tracking stats and getting involved. So, looking back. 2020 was a year of upheaval, with moving, buying a house and cleaning out another house, and my parents having major health concerns.

2020 YTD
Bags In: 7
Bags Out: 24
Accessories In: 11
Jewelry and Accessories Out: 90

in addition, I sold 63 books and 6 home decor items. Of the seven bags I purchased, two have been adopted by VintageMama.

I still have a lot more stuff to process and analyze. So, my North Star for 2021 is simplicity.

As a goal, I will
1) touch everything I own this year.
2) no net gain - no buying anything for my closet unless I can fund it with things I’ve sold.
3) including my donations, do a 2021 in 2021. Eliminate 2021 items from my home.

Wow, those are tough goals you've set yourself, but everything towards achieving them will be good

My Goal for this year is similar to last year.
1. I must remain with in the shelf space allotted. No squeezing bags to make room.
2. Stay firmly in my budget.
3. No bags that weigh over two pounds, preferably less.
4. Rotate and use all my bags, with the exception of specialty bags.
5. Keep my bag list and photos more up to date and look at it before I make a purchase.
6. Have fun with them.

My shopping goals for 2021 are:

To sell:
  • LV eva clutch
  • Louboutin Junior satin sneakers OR velvet Walk'n'Dior (I guess which one will sell first :lol: )
To buy:
  • My first Chanel (thinking of a vertical clutch, WOCor other SLG):love:
In 2020 I think I've managed to hit all my shopping goals:
  • Valentino flats
  • Valentino sandals
  • Walk'n'Dior sneakers (my first Dior)
  • LV small bag (eva clutch)
  • Louboutin sneakers (my first Louboutin)
  • LV shawl
  • Valentino Rockstud gloves:heart:
For 2021 I definitely want to stop buying so much and concentrate on enjoying things I already own.

My Goal for this year is similar to last year.
1. I must remain with in the shelf space allotted. No squeezing bags to make room.
2. Stay firmly in my budget.
3. No bags that weigh over two pounds, preferably less.
4. Rotate and use all my bags, with the exception of specialty bags.
5. Keep my bag list and photos more up to date and look at it before I make a purchase.
6. Have fun with them.

I love these. I may borrow from this list, especially 1. :biggrin:

My shopping goals for 2021 are:

To sell:
  • LV eva clutch
  • Louboutin Junior satin sneakers OR velvet Walk'n'Dior (I guess which one will sell first :lol: )
To buy:
  • My first Chanel (thinking of a vertical clutch, WOCor other SLG):love:
In 2020 I think I've managed to hit all my shopping goals:
  • Valentino flats
  • Valentino sandals
  • Walk'n'Dior sneakers (my first Dior)
  • LV small bag (eva clutch)
  • Louboutin sneakers (my first Louboutin)
  • LV shawl
  • Valentino Rockstud gloves:heart:
For 2021 I definitely want to stop buying so much and concentrate on enjoying things I already own.

You've done well this year and next year you have clear, strongly motivated goal for your first Chanel. That should enough on keep you on track.