Current Good Quality Fair Price but Little Known Recommendation Thread

Welcome!
I think in terms of quality for price, definitely go through the brands in this thread and the style/design that makes your heart leap--try it!
I'm not usually into unlined bags either but I have one that I stick a shaper/organizer into anyways so I never even notice the lining. The advantage is lighter weight!

Thank you!! However, it can be a little overwhelming since there are so many choices and I do find myself somewhat sad because there is a lot of tones online regarding how brands have increased prices but decreased quality from everything to clothes to handbags, etc. So, in some way, I feel as if I'm left out (or that I've missed out). And I just started making $ now, so it wasn't a possibility for me to purchase things even a few years ago (or whenever the general consensus of declining quality). Even today, I just learned about the Massaccesi handbags, only to learn (on the same day I discovered them), that they are closing. I assume for good; not sure. But I am determined to research & find a style or company (similar the admiration the forum for Massaccesi). And part of my research & learning is needing to figure out what is a fair price for a good bag. It seemed that the Massaccesi could be purchased for say $500 or less; or maybe $750 or less. That would be more ideal for me, but I am sort of uneducated on prices. Originally, I was thinking I could spend anywhere from $150 to $750 on vintage or new purses (just a guess). I just looked up the Hermes & Chanel purses yesterday and feel so uneducated because they were literally higher $ than I expected. But thanks for sharing with those of us who are purse newbies!

And thanks for the tip of the shaper/organizer. That didn't occur to me, but might be something for me to consider.

Hi. I'm new to purseforum & somehow found this thread through one of the links in the email. I was interested in coming here to learn about good quality purses. Actually, I saw on Makeupalley & reddit that some prefer Coach bags (when made in US, Italy, Costa Rica, etc) because they say the quality is really good (eg. brass hardware, etc). How would say vintage Coach bags compare to ones from companies in this thread like Just Campagne, Del Giudice Roma, or Camelia Roma? I'm not sure if there is a difference between full grain leather or calf leather, for example. Very much a purse newbie. I'm drawn to the plainish aesthetic, though I don't really like the appearance of the undone lining in the old Coach bags (like they look dusty & dirty to me), but wonder if those would be good investments (if I could only be lucky and find one in near pristine condition). Thanks in advance for sharing. I only have one purse at the moment (which I bought at a thrift store). It is a black Target bag (it's this: https://www.target.com/p/women-s-tr...3/-/A-53159530?preselect=52829573#lnk=sametab) I got it for $5. It's terrible. The hardware has come off multiple times and my husband has super glued it for me. The top flap comes unbottoned when wearing (and I've been worried things will just fall out due to the poor design) so I'm over cheap/poor quality bags. I was curious about the design & size (though I wouldn't mind something a tiny bit bigger). I really want to pay for good quality and not necessarily because of the brand or celebrity hoopla which is why I wanted to learn more here. Thanks for introducing good quality brands to those of us who want to learn more.

Welcome to TPF. You can learn all you need to know about leather quality, design, durability, styles, etc., by reading here. Calf/ lamb/ python, etc., refers to the actual material/ animal used to make the purse. Full grain/ split grain/ top grain refer to how the leather itself is processed. Is it the complete hide or just a "slice' of the hide? You can find this information by googling leather on the web.

Thanks to the many posters I have saved a lot of money and heartache by reading how their bags and leathers perform and hold up. For example I have learned that a bag with a center compartment drives me batty with a few exceptions. The center gets in my way and I am constantly pushing it from one side to the other to find what I want.
I have also learned that I love carrying small pouches in my bag instead of having everything just thrown in there. I can grab three pouches and move from one purse to the next in a jiffy. I change them almost every day. I am retired :biggrin: and free to do things like that.

Purse hunting and buying can be a fun thing and most of us consider them a necessity. There a few people who can get by without one, but for the life of me I don't see how, LOL. My only advice for your journey is do not consider a purse an investment. An IRA is an investment. Unless you buy an Hermes or one or two others you will never get back your money by selling a bag. You will be lucky to get 40-50%. My second piece of advice is do not allow yourself to get caught up a purse obsession/ buying frenzy. Set a budget, stick to it. So go forth and have fun now!!!

And feel free to ask us questions. We consider ourselves experts whether we are or not.

ANd by the way, Marco Massaccesi bags were hardly ever over $400 and were the best quality you can buy. We are broken hearted about his closing. Check out Arayla. I have three of their bags, excellent quality and in your price range. It is another independent quality company that I like to support. They are new so there are not that many styles yet.

Welcome to TPF. You can learn all you need to know about leather quality, design, durability, styles, etc., by reading here. Calf/ lamb/ python, etc., refers to the actual material/ animal used to make the purse. Full grain/ split grain/ top grain refer to how the leather itself is processed. Is it the complete hide or just a "slice' of the hide? You can find this information by googling leather on the web.

Thanks to the many posters I have saved a lot of money and heartache by reading how their bags and leathers perform and hold up. For example I have learned that a bag with a center compartment drives me batty with a few exceptions. The center gets in my way and I am constantly pushing it from one side to the other to find what I want.
I have also learned that I love carrying small pouches in my bag instead of having everything just thrown in there. I can grab three pouches and move from one purse to the next in a jiffy. I change them almost every day. I am retired :biggrin: and free to do things like that.

Purse hunting and buying can be a fun thing and most of us consider them a necessity. There a few people who can get by without one, but for the life of me I don't see how, LOL. My only advice for your journey is do not consider a purse an investment. An IRA is an investment. Unless you buy an Hermes or one or two others you will never get back your money by selling a bag. You will be lucky to get 40-50%. My second piece of advice is do not allow yourself to get caught up a purse obsession/ buying frenzy. Set a budget, stick to it. So go forth and have fun now!!!

And feel free to ask us questions. We consider ourselves experts whether we are or not.

ANd by the way, Marco Massaccesi bags were hardly ever over $400 and were the best quality you can buy. We are broken hearted about his closing. Check out Arayla. I have three of their bags, excellent quality and in your price range. It is another independent quality company that I like to support. They are new so there are not that many styles yet.

Thank you - this is exactly the kind of advice I need and am what I'm looking for.

Thank you!! However, it can be a little overwhelming since there are so many choices and I do find myself somewhat sad because there is a lot of tones online regarding how brands have increased prices but decreased quality from everything to clothes to handbags, etc. So, in some way, I feel as if I'm left out (or that I've missed out). And I just started making $ now, so it wasn't a possibility for me to purchase things even a few years ago (or whenever the general consensus of declining quality). Even today, I just learned about the Massaccesi handbags, only to learn (on the same day I discovered them), that they are closing. I assume for good; not sure. But I am determined to research & find a style or company (similar the admiration the forum for Massaccesi). And part of my research & learning is needing to figure out what is a fair price for a good bag. It seemed that the Massaccesi could be purchased for say $500 or less; or maybe $750 or less. That would be more ideal for me, but I am sort of uneducated on prices. Originally, I was thinking I could spend anywhere from $150 to $750 on vintage or new purses (just a guess). I just looked up the Hermes & Chanel purses yesterday and feel so uneducated because they were literally higher $ than I expected. But thanks for sharing with those of us who are purse newbies!

And thanks for the tip of the shaper/organizer. That didn't occur to me, but might be something for me to consider.
Hi, and welcome! I love vintage coach and find their leather to be some of the best I have ever seen. The other contemporary brands (these range less than $1000, such as Kate Spade, Michael Kors, Henri Bendel, Tory Burch, etc) do not match up. I don't mean to insult these brands - I shop and own many of their bags and accessories! I just mean that the leather and stitching is not up to par with vintage coach. I think in terms of suppleness, the nicest leather I have seen (from my collection and my mother's) is Hermes, and I also like the leather lining on one of my pre-owned Lanvin bags. If you like vintage coach leather, I would look for full grain, aniline, and/or vegetable tanned leather. Full grain means the leather has not been sanded down because it is already a high quality hide and no imperfections need to be hidden. Aniline leather is similar - the aniline refers to the dyeing process which is more thorough and does not cover up the quality of the hide; aniline leather is generally considered higher quality. Vegetable tanned leather is similar, and this natural process of tanning the leather takes many weeks. You might also look into lambskin bags, because they are ridiculous soft to the touch. The only thing about these kinds of leather are that they (like our own skin!) develop marks over time and are not meant for remaining perfect; however, that's what many consider is the beauty of the leather! With the right care, they look better with wear, rather than falling apart. But they are not for everyone and every purpose - I love my stamped leather bags as well and how worry-free they are. Top grain leather, bonded leather, and chrome-tanned leather are the kinds you'd likely want to avoid if you like vintage coach leather. I would recommend googling any of these terms to learn more; I only provided a very brief and probably lacking summary!

If you can also find out if a bag is made from start to finish by the same person, that also tends to be a sign of quality. It's cheaper to divide the labor out, but one person making the bag ensures that things in construction don't slip through the cracks and that the company prioritizes the finer details. Just Campagne does this and Hermes does it for their Birkin and Kelly bags at least.

I would look also look into bags made in the USA or other countries with stricter labor laws, so you can trust that no human being was mistreated in the making of your bag. Sadly, it's hard to save the entire world, but voting with your shopping money can never hurt :smile:

There's so much that goes into the quality and construction of the bag that it's hard to cover! I would Google and search and ask on this forum :smile: I hope this didn't come across as too preachy or high-and-mighty :shocked: If you let us know a little bit more about your style and what you're looking for exactly, we could recommend brands and bags! Congrats on getting to a comfortable place where you can treat yourself - enjoy your shopping and researching; I'm sure you've earned it :smile:

Hi, and welcome! I love vintage coach and find their leather to be some of the best I have ever seen. The other contemporary brands (these range less than $1000, such as Kate Spade, Michael Kors, Henri Bendel, Tory Burch, etc) do not match up. I don't mean to insult these brands - I shop and own many of their bags and accessories! I just mean that the leather and stitching is not up to par with vintage coach. I think in terms of suppleness, the nicest leather I have seen (from my collection and my mother's) is Hermes, and I also like the leather lining on one of my pre-owned Lanvin bags. If you like vintage coach leather, I would look for full grain, aniline, and/or vegetable tanned leather. Full grain means the leather has not been sanded down because it is already a high quality hide and no imperfections need to be hidden. Aniline leather is similar - the aniline refers to the dyeing process which is more thorough and does not cover up the quality of the hide; aniline leather is generally considered higher quality. Vegetable tanned leather is similar, and this natural process of tanning the leather takes many weeks. You might also look into lambskin bags, because they are ridiculous soft to the touch. The only thing about these kinds of leather are that they (like our own skin!) develop marks over time and are not meant for remaining perfect; however, that's what many consider is the beauty of the leather! With the right care, they look better with wear, rather than falling apart. But they are not for everyone and every purpose - I love my stamped leather bags as well and how worry-free they are. Top grain leather, bonded leather, and chrome-tanned leather are the kinds you'd likely want to avoid if you like vintage coach leather. I would recommend googling any of these terms to learn more; I only provided a very brief and probably lacking summary!

If you can also find out if a bag is made from start to finish by the same person, that also tends to be a sign of quality. It's cheaper to divide the labor out, but one person making the bag ensures that things in construction don't slip through the cracks and that the company prioritizes the finer details. Just Campagne does this and Hermes does it for their Birkin and Kelly bags at least.

I would look also look into bags made in the USA or other countries with stricter labor laws, so you can trust that no human being was mistreated in the making of your bag. Sadly, it's hard to save the entire world, but voting with your shopping money can never hurt :smile:

There's so much that goes into the quality and construction of the bag that it's hard to cover! I would Google and search and ask on this forum :smile: I hope this didn't come across as too preachy or high-and-mighty :shocked: If you let us know a little bit more about your style and what you're looking for exactly, we could recommend brands and bags! Congrats on getting to a comfortable place where you can treat yourself - enjoy your shopping and researching; I'm sure you've earned it :smile:
Belle, beautifully written and great advice for her.
:drinks:

Hi. I'm new to purseforum & somehow found this thread through one of the links in the email. I was interested in coming here to learn about good quality purses. Actually, I saw on Makeupalley & reddit that some prefer Coach bags (when made in US, Italy, Costa Rica, etc) because they say the quality is really good (eg. brass hardware, etc). How would say vintage Coach bags compare to ones from companies in this thread like Just Campagne, Del Giudice Roma, or Camelia Roma? I'm not sure if there is a difference between full grain leather or calf leather, for example. Very much a purse newbie. I'm drawn to the plainish aesthetic, though I don't really like the appearance of the undone lining in the old Coach bags (like they look dusty & dirty to me), but wonder if those would be good investments (if I could only be lucky and find one in near pristine condition). Thanks in advance for sharing. I only have one purse at the moment (which I bought at a thrift store). It is a black Target bag (it's this: https://www.target.com/p/women-s-tr...3/-/A-53159530?preselect=52829573#lnk=sametab) I got it for $5. It's terrible. The hardware has come off multiple times and my husband has super glued it for me. The top flap comes unbottoned when wearing (and I've been worried things will just fall out due to the poor design) so I'm over cheap/poor quality bags. I was curious about the design & size (though I wouldn't mind something a tiny bit bigger). I really want to pay for good quality and not necessarily because of the brand or celebrity hoopla which is why I wanted to learn more here. Thanks for introducing good quality brands to those of us who want to learn more.

I'm a big fan of vintage Coach bags. Also of Massaccesi and il Bisonte. All three have great leather quality and a simple, timeless aesthetic. Similar to @southernbelle43, in addition to Massaccesi, I have enjoyed Arayla bags; they come in a limited range of style and color options but are very nicely designed and made.

The MM leathers will win me over Arayla most days for variety and flat-out durability (Marco really knows his tanneries!) - if you have the budget right now and something interests you from MM, I'd suggest hopping on their closing sale. Otherwise, definitely keep your eyes open for one on the used market.

The next studio I have been thinking about for both the quality and potential of some customization is Cellerini. They are an established workshop and make some very nice looking styles. Others here have explored Just Campagne which also makes lovely bags.

Reactions: polkadots55
I´m a seasoned world traveller, and for travel, I´ve set aside all my Longchamps, Liebeskinds, Mandarina Ducks, Samsonites and Tumis in favour of these (many thanks to @remainsilly for her pics and recommendation that I try them - I couldn´t be a happier customer):

https://www.travelonbags.com/

Specifically, I own the Anti-Theft Classic Crossbody Bucket in Chocolate, the Anti-Theft LTD Tote (for my 15'' laptop) in Plum, and the Classic Quilted Medium Crossbody in Berry (which my Mum confiscated for her own use as soon as she saw it).

They´re light, spacious, lots of clever inner pockets and slots, RFID protection, anti-slash and anti-zip-opening protection, waterproof, and most can be found under 100 USD on Evilbay or elsewhere. I´ve been to the US, Cuba, Morocco, Russia, Belgium, France, Spain, Brazil and Argentina with these three, and nary a security or other problem.

Since security, sturdiness, spaciousness and lightweight are paramount to me, these pieces are now my travel HGs (anything high-brand paints a large "Mug me!" target on me - so no, thanks!). I´m now considering adding to these a 14'' Wheeled Underseat Carry-On, a Mini-Duffle and a Weekender Duffle.

Thank you for this thread and this post in particular. This terribly tempting thread consumed my weekend and resulted in 3 purchases from Rough and Tumble. I couldn't resist the gorgeously coloured leathers. Thus I am so excited and also a bit guilty … but mostly cannot wait until I receive my purchases
I am sorry if I missed it, but did you ever post how your purchases worked out for you?

Yes welcome! I have learned sooo much on TPF including that each of us has our own purse journey! In addition to discovering what leather do we like best (smooshy, soft, stiff, shiny, calf, lambskin, color!, etc.), it's also about what purses we prefer to use in different situations/activities. That changes over time and thus our tastes change too! I have learned for daily errands, I need something with at least one outside pocket and a top handle or satchel handles, because with little kids, easy access to my phone, keys, and wallets, sometimes one handed, is a must! Most of the time I like unstructured bags, but once in awhile I like the structure that something like some of the Dooney & Bourke's have, whose leather I think is quality that will last a long time. And then for me, totes is a separate category...a leather one when I need to carry a lot but still look nice, then a waxed canvas one (I saw a YouTuber recommend Artifact Bags) for outings or as a diaper bag, Longchamp Le Pliage or Lipault for when it rains...

So although you missed the Massaccesi run (who not only was the quality there but the fun of customization at such a reason me price is rare), you actually are fortunate because the preloved or used market is huge these days. If you don't mind those, if I were you and wanted to explore, I would get some low priced purses to use. Then you get an idea of what you like and then buy new.

Just an idea. I agree with a poster above, take your time, follow a budget, don't always follow the hype, and realize there's always another purse...

Yes welcome! I have learned sooo much on TPF including that each of us has our own purse journey! In addition to discovering what leather do we like best (smooshy, soft, stiff, shiny, calf, lambskin, color!, etc.), it's also about what purses we prefer to use in different situations/activities. That changes over time and thus our tastes change too! I have learned for daily errands, I need something with at least one outside pocket and a top handle or satchel handles, because with little kids, easy access to my phone, keys, and wallets, sometimes one handed, is a must! Most of the time I like unstructured bags, but once in awhile I like the structure that something like some of the Dooney & Bourke's have, whose leather I think is quality that will last a long time. And then for me, totes is a separate category...a leather one when I need to carry a lot but still look nice, then a waxed canvas one (I saw a YouTuber recommend Artifact Bags) for outings or as a diaper bag, Longchamp Le Pliage or Lipault for when it rains...

So although you missed the Massaccesi run (who not only was the quality there but the fun of customization at such a reason me price is rare), you actually are fortunate because the preloved or used market is huge these days. If you don't mind those, if I were you and wanted to explore, I would get some low priced purses to use. Then you get an idea of what you like and then buy new.

Just an idea. I agree with a poster above, take your time, follow a budget, don't always follow the hype, and realize there's always another purse...

Thank you. I did read on here that D&B is a popular vintage bag as well (& I'm sure for contemporary ones) due to the leather. I think I will start with a preloved purchase(s). After thinking, I almost feel like I'm not worthy enough to request a custom order. I mean regarding leather, I kind of just thought smooth vs pebbled. Looking at the MM thread made me realize there was way more than just those 2. And it seems people do have a preference which is probably something I can't really develop until I try out lots of leathers & styles personally. But yes, I have realized that I do have a preference for carrying & I too need an outside pocket for my cell phone. Thanks for the help & I will enjoy my reading & browsing.