12/3/20 WSJ article "Sorry, Millennials. Over-40s Are In at Gucci"

Decided to bump this due to another WSJ article. I was going to start a Harry Styles and Gucci thread, but then realized this article is an interesting counterpoint to the 2020 article.

And I've highlighted an interesting figure in green. @papertiger post #13 in this thread - so very accurate!

Harry Styles Designs for Gucci in Bid for Gen Z Luxury Consumers
The pop star is creating youthful clothing and accessories for the Italian brand—and the mood is pure ’70s rock

By Jacob Gallagher June 20, 2022

MILAN, Italy—Pop titan Harry Styles and Gucci announced a joint clothing collection on Monday, developing their longstanding fashion alliance into a formal partnership.

The 25-look collection, codesigned by Gucci creative director Alessandro Michele and Styles and dubbed HA HA HA (a playful reference to the pair’s initials), will hit Gucci stores in October. Encompassing sport coats with meaty lapels, neckerchiefs and glen-plaid topcoats, the clothes have a palpable ’70s look to them, and were introduced inside a Milanese vintage store alongside decades-old pieces.

“We were sharing for a long time images of eccentric men from that era,” Mr. Michele said of the inspiration.

Throughout his solo career, Mr. Styles, the flopsy haired ex-One Direction star, has been a committed Gucci muse, regularly sporting the label’s eclectic designs on stage and in photoshoots. In December 2020, Mr. Styles wore a tiered Gucci dress on the cover of Vogue magazine, cementing the singer as a contemporary style icon, while sending pundits into a tizzy about the gender-contorting outfit.

“No rules,” said Mr. Michele when reflecting on that pot-stirring dress.

im-567511

The HA HA HA collection will hit Gucci stores in October. PHOTO: SIMON171

Making the collection was “kind of like working at home on a rainy day between two friends, doing something to have fun,” Mr. Michele said during a news conference introducing the collection. The singer, who is touring his new album “Harry’s House,” wasn’t in attendance.

Mr. Michele said they began working on the designs in earnest around a year ago and designed much of it over WhatsApp and at the occasional dinner. Working together, said Mr. Michele, gave the friends an excuse to see each other.

The HA HA HA collection reflects a new chapter in Gucci’s business strategy. During a presentation with investors and analysts earlier this month, Kering, Gucci’s parent company, detailed plans to expand the Italian label’s annual sales to €15 billion from €9.73 billion, largely powered by “the high potential of Young Millennials and Gen Z” consumers.

Under Mr. Michele’s tutelage, Gucci has reeled in younger, wealthier shoppers through rarefied, splashy clothes. This month, a poppy, pattern-drenched collaboration with German sportswear giant Adidas drew block-long lines at Gucci stores.

Mr. Styles, meanwhile, has a rabid fashion-minded fan base that diligently tracks the singer’s outfits through Instagram accounts. “It’s interesting how they are open to learn more about the things that he’s doing, the things that he’s wearing,” said Mr. Michele.

The partnership with Mr. Styles exemplifies Gucci’s millennial catnip approach. Sweaters and T-shirts brandish lyrics from Mr. Styles’s chart-topping songs like “Watermelon Sugar.” Many pieces, such as zip-up boots with a heart on the side and a set of pajamas splayed with a pouty bear pattern, tap into “the idea that fashion is something that makes you feel forever young,” said Mr. Michele.

The intent, said Mr. Michele, was never to do basic concert merchandise like T-shirts and hoodies. “It’s about beautiful pieces,” he said. “I mean, they are not that cheap.” The collection will be priced similarly to Gucci’s current collection, a brand representative said—meaning those PJs are set be more expensive than a ticket to one of Mr. Styles’s shows.

View attachment 5431412
Gucci creative director Alessandro Michele and pop star Harry Styles at the Met Gala in New York in 2019.
PHOTO: ANGELA WEISS/AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE/GETTY IMAGES

Makes you wonder what the point of spending 4 years doing a fashion degree is for if it's better to join a boy band to become a fashion designer :sunnies:

Gucci are not making the profits they were, seems they're floundering for ideas.

Perhaps they shouldn't keep raising prices every couple of months to give Gen Z a chance to save-up for things.

Y2K and early 00s is back in style with teens and young 20-somethings. They really should latch onto that if they want to court the kids — but as a mid-millennial, I’m more for edgy pieces that look timeless. I’m very into the velvet suit jackets they have right now, for example. I’m not gonna buy a teddy bear necklace.

Harry Styles is very far from his boy band days, but he’s more popular with younger millennials and not “the youth.”

My husband and I saw a prairie dress that looked exactly like what my friends and I wore during our “indie rock” days in the 05-07ish era at a Gucci store and I laughed so hard. I’m not paying $5k for a dress I thrifted for $15 in 2006 lol. That fashion era hasn’t aged well but the kids love it.

I always find it interesting when a designer is lumped into one aesthetic. I am not into the OTT offerings or anything Mickey Mouse but I always have a Gucci item or several on my list. There is truly so many choices and ways to wear items, for all tastes. While You can always get knock off items that are copying any successful designer the quality and craftsmanship are not the same. Wear your $15.00 prairie dress nobody cares.

I always find it interesting when a designer is lumped into one aesthetic. I am not into the OTT offerings or anything Mickey Mouse but I always have a Gucci item or several on my list. There is truly so many choices and ways to wear items, for all tastes. While You can always get knock off items that are copying any successful designer the quality and craftsmanship are not the same. Wear your $15.00 prairie dress nobody cares.

A $15 dollar dress that @clzclzclz thrifted 20 years ago was probably from the 1970s and may have well been made as well as a Gucci dress now. Many fashion designers buy vintage, take them apart for the patterns, remake them for the runway.

Even the velvet suit jackets AW21 was a modified reissue of a mid-'90s jacket that was in turn a reissue of a 1970s one. Without the Gucci label there are plenty of 1970s designer and small boutique velvet jackets still around that are pure cotton (like AW21) silk-lined and well made by master tailors, they're not £2K.

Like clzclzclz and others, I grew-up 'thrifting'. I met my friends and hung-out in markets, rummaging for trophy dresses/coats/jackets, and I personally couldn't pass a charity shop (goodwill) without going in, often finding designer or bespoke. I also inherited plenty from relatives. When I go to a Gucci store now, it literally looks like my bedroom wardrobe. I mix '60s/70s/'80s/90s/'00s vintage with new all the time, I can compare like with like. The only difference is the price. My 1970s Gucci loafers are made from superior materials and have much finer stitching than my new, the only reason I didn't wear them is I don't want to ruin them.