My Journey with Back of Head Augmentation in Korea

I am sorry to hear this. I know a lot is our heads and if we aren't pleased with our look doesn't help a lot that I or someone else tell you it's look great. I hope you will find best solution for your case and make your head looks as you want. With your scar you can try with a silicone gel, maybe it will help you better heal the scar.

Offtopic: Btw I will go in 1 hour to airport for my flight for surgery with Jogak on Monday. I will post some pictures in 1 or 2 weeks, hope everything will be fine.
good luck!

good luck!
Thanks, my surgery actually has been already performed. Had some pain first day but nothing unbearable, of course still feeling healing but is okey at least with painkillers which i have been taking. Today i will get bandages removed. I really hope i will be pleased with results. It will not be a super perfect because of my severe asymmetry but I hope it will make positive change in my visual appearance.

Reactions: dpnot and mrtst93
Ok so my results are fine to me. They are not perfect by any means and I was aware of this before surgery. I would say 85% but now when I wash my hear maybe even 90% of perfect and I am pleased with this. As I know and dr.Song confirm to me I have severe plagiocephaly so there were no chance for perfect solution. Right side is still a little bigger then left because of under the ears and sides pmma can't be put as we know. I will post some pictures next week when I arrive home and everything heals I little bit.

Thank you all for sharing your occiput augmentation journey. I'm about to pull the trigger very soon and schedule something with Line. Quick question as I prepare to tell the doctor how I would like the back of my head molded. For the occipital bone (the lowest bone in the back of the skull where MMA cannot go below), does anyone know if the MMA can cover it or go over top as a layer or is that too risky because of how close it is to your neck muscles?

Thank you all for sharing your occiput augmentation journey. I'm about to pull the trigger very soon and schedule something with Line. Quick question as I prepare to tell the doctor how I would like the back of my head molded. For the occipital bone (the lowest bone in the back of the skull where MMA cannot go below), does anyone know if the MMA can cover it or go over top as a layer or is that too risky because of how close it is to your neck muscles?
I am happy to answer your question since that area is what is driving me crazy for the last weeks after my surgery. Normally the neck muscles will be directly under the longest part of your back of the head. So all surgeants working with bone cement will try to avoid to go lower than this point. I did not know how important it is to not make your longest point go higher than it naturally is (but it depends on your headshape, maybe it is possible for you to go up for 1-2 cm without destroying your overall symmetries - would need to see a picture for that. For me it was a bad idea at least).

So it is possbile to put bone cement on top of this point (like in my case) and maybe even next to it, but I think it will be more difficult and requires much skill. Going beneath that point is not possible I think.
If you like share a picture and maybe also how you expect the result (photoshop). I could give you my opinion on that

I am happy to answer your question since that area is what is driving me crazy for the last weeks after my surgery. Normally the neck muscles will be directly under the longest part of your back of the head. So all surgeants working with bone cement will try to avoid to go lower than this point. I did not know how important it is to not make your longest point go higher than it naturally is (but it depends on your headshape, maybe it is possible for you to go up for 1-2 cm without destroying your overall symmetries - would need to see a picture for that. For me it was a bad idea at least).

So it is possbile to put bone cement on top of this point (like in my case) and maybe even next to it, but I think it will be more difficult and requires much skill. Going beneath that point is not possible I think.
If you like share a picture and maybe also how you expect the result (photoshop). I could give you my opinion on that

Hey bro appreciate your feedback. You're one of the reasons I am very clear on how I would like my head rounded. You pointed out that the longest part of the back of the head is usually around eye level and after doing some google image searches, you are right. It seems to be around the eye/upper eyelid area. I was not cognizant of that previously when I started doing my research on this surgery.

If I had even your before head shape, I probably would be less inclined for this surgery. Unfortunately for most people doing this surgery (like myself), our heads are all the way flat in the back so it really depends on the MMA to form that long part of the back. With that being said because of the limitation of MMA and before/after pics from both Line and Dr. Song, that back long point tends to be much higher than the eye level for patients who undergo this surgery.

So to achieve that eye level bulge in the back, the MMA has to start as low as possible to form that curve. My occipital bone is slightly below my eye level and if the doctor cannot overlap that area with MMA but has to stop at the top of the occipital bone, then the bulge would be closer to my eyebrow. However if he can overlap and cover my occipital bone (where essentially right below this is my neck), getting that eye level bulge is achievable. I'm just not sure if that's possible because it seems like all doctors stay away from that area hence the reason the bulge is higher than eye level for patients of this procedure.

Unfortunately I'm not skilled in photoshop like you and will be using the Iphone pic editor to draw my lines and such lol.

Hey bro appreciate your feedback. You're one of the reasons I am very clear on how I would like my head rounded. You pointed out that the longest part of the back of the head is usually around eye level and after doing some google image searches, you are right. It seems to be around the eye/upper eyelid area. I was not cognizant of that previously when I started doing my research on this surgery.

If I had even your before head shape, I probably would be less inclined for this surgery. Unfortunately for most people doing this surgery (like myself), our heads are all the way flat in the back so it really depends on the MMA to form that long part of the back. With that being said because of the limitation of MMA and before/after pics from both Line and Dr. Song, that back long point tends to be much higher than the eye level for patients who undergo this surgery.

So to achieve that eye level bulge in the back, the MMA has to start as low as possible to form that curve. My occipital bone is slightly below my eye level and if the doctor cannot overlap that area with MMA but has to stop at the top of the occipital bone, then the bulge would be closer to my eyebrow. However if he can overlap and cover my occipital bone (where essentially right below this is my neck), getting that eye level bulge is achievable. I'm just not sure if that's possible because it seems like all doctors stay away from that area hence the reason the bulge is higher than eye level for patients of this procedure.

Unfortunately I'm not skilled in photoshop like you and will be using the Iphone pic editor to draw my lines and such lol.
I'm glad if my posts help some of you here. I would have never thought that in my case something could go wrong. I trusted Dr. Song and the procedure itself that everything will be fine and now I have to keep on searching for a solution in my case which is very exhausting. I just want to point out that we really need to be aware of what is possible and what is not (or at least could be possible but would be bad for the symmetries). I think there are many surgeants out there who only look at your "problem area" - they dont really care about your headshape as a whole. Thats why it is so important to have a clear picture of what we (can) expect.

You could also send a (censored) profile picture (hope you have short hair or at least wet to see the shape better ;D). Maybe you can just mark the point where your head seems to be the longest now. Then I could try to photoshop how I would do it :smile:

I'm glad if my posts help some of you here. I would have never thought that in my case something could go wrong. I trusted Dr. Song and the procedure itself that everything will be fine and now I have to keep on searching for a solution in my case which is very exhausting. I just want to point out that we really need to be aware of what is possible and what is not (or at least could be possible but would be bad for the symmetries). I think there are many surgeants out there who only look at your "problem area" - they dont really care about your headshape as a whole. Thats why it is so important to have a clear picture of what we (can) expect.

You could also send a (censored) profile picture (hope you have short hair or at least wet to see the shape better ;D). Maybe you can just mark the point where your head seems to be the longest now. Then I could try to photoshop how I would do it :smile:
You are absolutely right. This procedure seems more of a McDonald's procedure where it's a quick fix so when you grow long hair, it looks okay. Doctors certainly don't aim for perfection and think about what you look like with a bald head.

LOL my hair is long right now. The only way to see my occipital area is if you feel it. I do plan on buzzing my hair for this procedure though when I do go through with it.

You are absolutely right. This procedure seems more of a McDonald's procedure where it's a quick fix so when you grow long hair, it looks okay. Doctors certainly don't aim for perfection and think about what you look like with a bald head.

LOL my hair is long right now. The only way to see my occipital area is if you feel it. I do plan on buzzing my hair for this procedure though when I do go through with it.
McDonalds procedure hahaha. I mean, Dr. Song did well! He is very friendly and skilled and managed to create a very round shape. Even though I completley shave my hair its not really noticable that I have an implant beneath my scalp. I can see and feel the edges, but I think for other people its very hard to see. So I'm quite happy about that and I also think in my case bone cement is a better solution than going for a silicone implant. Song just was not careful about my overall symmetries. If only he would have said "are you sure you would like this point too be a bit higher?" I maybe would have activated my brain cells, but it all seemed to be ok, so I just led him start.

Alright:biggrin: But as I mentioned - if you like make your hair wet so that it is close to your headshape and maybe just mark this point so I could see it myself and maybe show you what I think would look best. You dont need to of course, I'm just addicted to look at headshapes now and photoshop them haha

Reactions: asianguy86
McDonalds procedure hahaha. I mean, Dr. Song did well! He is very friendly and skilled and managed to create a very round shape. Even though I completley shave my hair its not really noticable that I have an implant beneath my scalp. I can see and feel the edges, but I think for other people its very hard to see. So I'm quite happy about that and I also think in my case bone cement is a better solution than going for a silicone implant. Song just was not careful about my overall symmetries. If only he would have said "are you sure you would like this point too be a bit higher?" I maybe would have activated my brain cells, but it all seemed to be ok, so I just led him start.

Alright:biggrin: But as I mentioned - if you like make your hair wet so that it is close to your headshape and maybe just mark this point so I could see it myself and maybe show you what I think would look best. You dont need to of course, I'm just addicted to look at headshapes now and photoshop them haha
lol McDonalds procedure compared to something like a nose job.

Yea Dr. Song seems really passionate about his work and if you give him instructions he'll follow to a T. I would 1000% go to him if he was in USA but I hate flying and really hard for me to leave the country for work reasons.

Let me see what I can take a pic of and send to you.

So as I promised here are photos before and after surgery. I am about 85% satisfied with results. Problem is, that my left side compare to right and under the ears is still weaker than right side I don't know are you guys see this in photos but is definitely there. Under the ears is like 0.7 to 1cm difference and there is nothing Dr.Song can do about it and I think either silicone implant can't go there. That is how it is, is definitely better as it was and fortunately I have hair that covers that to some degree other way it would be even worse. I will need to accept results and my body how it is and forget about it. The end difference I think is still good enough it was worth doing the surgery.

before left.jpg

before right.jpg

left (2).jpg

left.jpg

right (2).jpg

right.jpg

Last edited:
Hello all, I've been a long time follower of this thread but never have posted until now. I wanted to share my results with everyone. I picked JOGAK and had my surgery oct 18th, 2 weeks ago. I had photoshopped some pix of me to help Dr Song understand what I expected. or at least come close to what I wanted. As with everyone else here, I did not expect perfection but I can confidently say that I am very satisfied with the results. As you can see, my head shape is weird lol and combined with my sloping forehead it makes it even smaller (ill have the forehead surgery on Nov 8th) The after photos are 2 days after surgery after he took off the bandages. There is some swelling at the base of the neck and top of the head but overall I still like the results. Id say he came pretty close to the photoshopped pix I gave him. Today there is a bit of swelling at the incision site and some tenderness and as I feel my head I can feel some irregularities but not enough to have me concerned. He did a great job and Ill take it with no complaints. Its waaaay better than how it was shaped before. (note: the photoshopped pix also include my visualization of what i want my forehead to look like as well)

HEAD.jpg

Hello all, I've been a long time follower of this thread but never have posted until now. I wanted to share my results with everyone. I picked JOGAK and had my surgery oct 18th, 2 weeks ago. I had photoshopped some pix of me to help Dr Song understand what I expected. or at least come close to what I wanted. As with everyone else here, I did not expect perfection but I can confidently say that I am very satisfied with the results. As you can see, my head shape is weird lol and combined with my sloping forehead it makes it even smaller (ill have the forehead surgery on Nov 8th) The after photos are 2 days after surgery after he took off the bandages. There is some swelling at the base of the neck and top of the head but overall I still like the results. Id say he came pretty close to the photoshopped pix I gave him. Today there is a bit of swelling at the incision site and some tenderness and as I feel my head I can feel some irregularities but not enough to have me concerned. He did a great job and Ill take it with no complaints. Its waaaay better than how it was shaped before. (note: the photoshopped pix also include my visualization of what i want my forehead to look like as well)

View attachment 5644021
Congratulations! The result looks really good. Please share your experience of forehead surgery once you had it, can't really seem to find much information about it!

Reactions: Robch328

View attachment 5644021
great results!
I did the same thing with dr. Song in 2019, all went perfectly and feeling like I never did anything, except y back is looking great.
I will do the forehead as well but this time I might go somewhere closer, as Seoul is so far away.
There was some Turkish doctor with great results as well but I can't find the link now, it was here in the forums tho, if someone can find it, please share!
Can't wait to see results for your forehead.
Cheers!

Reactions: Robch328