Your Hermès Lessons Learned

What a fun thread! Love hearing about other's experiences and personal lessons!

Never say no to scarf without seeing how it ties first! There are a lot of scarves that I think are gorgeous but bland when tied. Vice versa, there are scarves that I thought the designs were too much, but tied so beautifully.

Always make sure nails are always filed. I once snagged a thread of a scarf *sob*

Don't settle. Perfect combo will happen. Just gotta wait :smile:

Last edited:
I realized that I don't like / cannot / will not carry heavy bags. I used to be so drawn to hardware and fell in love with so many bags with chains (looking at you, chanel) but the reality is that heavy bags take a toll on my poor shoulders and arms.

I don't carry any Hermes bags, and prefer the smaller leather items (Calvi, Bearn). I love clutches because I can carry them or throw them into an everyday cotton tote or work bag for commute/travel.

I have a Jige on my wishlist but haven't fully decided yet.

1. shocked by no 1, but I wear scarves -- but only with a black or white outfit (silk black button shirt and my scarf!) -- that being said, I do not need any more and I only have 4 silk scarves
2. stop it with the box leather because I will never ever take care of it! (I already have water damage (bubble) on new birkin-- and I am 4 box leather bags in (and just got another one last month)
3. Only, and I think we all know this, only buy what I love. don't be persuaded into buying houseware you will not need; I admire H RTW, but the fit doesn't work for me unless its a bespoke item.
4. I really don't use all my bags, I do not need more... its addictive and expensive. I am a jeans and Jysiperie/Evelyn weekend dresser.
5. DO NOT buy H fine jewelry--I have not yet (its just not my style- I struggle with the quality and lack of originality of most items)
6. if I see something, and I love it, buy it, I may never have the opportunity again.
7. I do not need another Birkin and I will never use a size smaller that 30.
8. Taking an H break is ok, its not a competition to have another bag (that I don't use much except for work)

What a great thread!! Hmm what have I learned…

1. If I can’t figure how to style something, it’s probably not for me — hello volver boots
2. You can like a colour but not buy anything in it, shocker I know
3. The best purchases are those I’ll get a lot of use out of and remind me of who I am, not who I want to be
4. Hats, no. In fact anything fussy, no

One that I struggle with…if you have ANY doubts about an item, don’t buy bc those doubts will only magnify when you have the item…but then, there is occasional one-off surprise which surprised you how much you love it

I'm not a 90s silk kinda girl. No matter how beautiful or cool the design, it just won't be worn, never ever.
I attended a scarves event at the boutique once and they had a “scarves expert” show us so many different ways to wear the 90s scarves, I mean, she turned the scarves into tops, headbands, belts, even bags! I was so excited that I purchased my first 90 scarf that day - only for me to rehome it later because I had no idea how to be creative with it like she did :’)

My lesson is unfortunately an expensive one: I have to live with something for a while before I know for sure whether it is a keeper. I mean, I know certain things wont ever work for me (I cant do a shoulder bag), but if I’m not sure it has to be “buy now, decide later”.
LOL @ buy now, decide later! I’ve been there myself a few times :lol:

I really like this idea and while I can’t add much what doesn’t suit me can provide some lessons.

For me i have to be careful which scarves I purchase particularly ones i have bought in the sale. I don’t like to rehome items so I need to consider which colours work best and which ones I will use- i have a few scarves that fall in this situation.

One of my recent lessons is Hermes rewards positive attitudes and if you come in with low expectations you can get the best surprises.
I totally second / agree with your last sentence "One of my recent lessons is Hermes rewards positive attitudes and if you come in with low expectations you can get the best surprises." I used to go with expectations and get so disappointed/annoyed. I have dropped in to see my SA once every few weeks leaving with nothing then I decided just to let things go and if something comes in it will be a surprise instead of asking. As everything coming in is slow atm though my wishlist is pretty tiny. And also my SA reads my messages but doesnt reply or acknowledge in anyway...but he does...

Last edited:
What a great thread!! Hmm what have I learned…

1. If I can’t figure how to style something, it’s probably not for me — hello volver boots
2. You can like a colour but not buy anything in it, shocker I know
3. The best purchases are those I’ll get a lot of use out of and remind me of who I am, not who I want to be
4. Hats, no. In fact anything fussy, no

One that I struggle with…if you have ANY doubts about an item, don’t buy bc those doubts will only magnify when you have the item…but then, there is occasional one-off surprise which surprised you how much you love it
I love all the points you made! Specially no. 3, thats really wonderful I need to keep that in mind with all of my purchases :heart:

About no. 2, aaah so true! *remembering my Balenciaga phase when I HAD to have something in every color of the rainbow* :eek: glad those days are over lol!