Safety, Luxury, and Hermes

We are definitely our own best representatives.

I unfortunately know from experience that insurance companies will try anything not to cover a theft if something isn't on your policy, you don't have pictures as proof of ownership, etc.

Question: Has anyone used/trust an online insurance appraiser for their bags and other valuables like Mearto.com?

My convo with my insurance adjuster today was less than stellar. His literal reaction to the replacement value of my Chanel, Loewe, etc. bags was: "WHAT? That much for handbags?" I stayed upbeat and just explained the purchase value vs replacement value, buy it for life, etc. but I could just hear the scoffing and negativity over the phone. He said no one had ever asked him to insure designer handbags or apparel, and that he couldn't add the handbags without an official appraisal. So he gave me two leads: a jewelry appraiser (who ended up being out due to COVID) and a camera shop for my cameras. No handbag or designer apparel leads.

I did some legwork and found a local estate and insurance personal property appraiser, so I'm hoping he'll just appraise my fine art prints, my handbags, cameras, etc. Otherwise, my fallback would be an online appraiser but I'm not looking forward to putting in all the descriptions, dimensions, provenance, and photos.

Thank you for listening.

:heart:

I haven’t used this company Mearto but I would be curious to see what others have to say about the appraisal part of insuring their bags. Will you please keep us updated?

I use State Farm and was told handbags do not need an appraisal (just purchase receipt, photo documentation). Handbags are covered under homeowner’s (or renters) insurance and jewelry needs a separate personal articles policy. Jewelry does need an appraisal along with photos if not more.

I haven’t used this company Mearto but I would be curious to see what others have to say about the appraisal part of insuring their bags. Will you please keep us updated?

I use State Farm and was told handbags do not need an appraisal (just purchase receipt, photo documentation). Handbags are covered under homeowner’s (or renters) insurance and jewelry needs a separate personal articles policy. Jewelry does need an appraisal along with photos if not more.

Oh yes, I'll keep you posted.

Thank you for the information. I definitely don't need to get additional insurance coverage but like to itemize the most costly items on my policy. From experience, insurance companies like to replace items based on purchase price, which is not a big problem with cameras as long as we have receipts, but can become a problem with a Chanel CF purchased at $1600 years ago. Replacing a Chanel at current prices would be disheartening. So that's why I want to get several items appraised at current value to have the documentation on hand.

@pursekitten I know that you are thinking about insuring things, but what about your fur baby? You said that some burglars will hurt pets of they have to but other burglars steal pets. I lived in an area where pets were stolen more than any other thing. That is just devastating.

Ugh pet thieves are some of the lowest of the low! What precautions do you/your friends take to keep your furry ones safe?

Luckily, my hubby and I sold that house and now live in a high-rise with a front office and many locked doors. We're also a few minutes from our vet, and our pup is microchipped, so for now we have peace of mind. :heart:

Last edited:

I recently had an experience with State Farm and they were very accommodating and easy to work with. For items like shoes and handbags, I just sent them online listings, etc. where possible, and they didn't give me a hard time at all. They reimbursed full replacement cost upon being provided photos and receipts of the new items.

I watched tamara’s video and I feel devastated for her. Although no one was physically hurt, thank goodness, I can’t imagine losing my entire collection in one fell swoop. (Honestly, I even have a hard time selling bags I don’t use…) Tamara seems like she’s handling it well probably because she has been through this before, which isn’t even a good thing.

I feel that this year and 2020 have led burglars and robbers to be more bold. Only a few months ago, I was at the H store and two women were robbed in broad daylight in the parking lot on a Saturday. My SA even told me that one of her clients was tailed home and robbed of all the H items she bought when she was going inside her house. This is all to say that we should all be careful when using our luxury items.

Holy moly are you based in the states? I have this huge fear of being a target carrying H bags. I tend to opt for the discreet ones..

Reactions: Etriers
Holy moly are you based in the states? I have this huge fear of being a target carrying H bags. I tend to opt for the discreet ones..

Honestly, it's less motivation to walk around a mall carrying a luxury shopping bag or handbag because both are instant neon signs that read, "Rob me." That has always been the case tho in large US metro areas like NYC, Miami, LA, etc. Opportunists will be opportunists. Self-awareness is key.

Honestly, it's less motivation to walk around a mall carrying a luxury shopping bag or handbag because both are instant neon signs that read, "Rob me." That has always been the case tho in large US metro areas like NYC, Miami, LA, etc. Opportunists will be opportunists. Self-awareness is key.
H usually has white, non-branded shopping bags that you can ask for.

I've been following Tamara on-and-off for a few years and while it is very unfortunate that she was robbed to such a extreme degree, she is very lucky that she has another expansive wardrobe back in her old room in London to fall back on, which has plenty of designer clothes, shoes, bags, etc, still there. Of course some might not be the latest season, but it's better than starting from scratch. I think her possessions in Paris were her most prized though, so it would definitely hit her hard.

Apparently the robbers entered via the courtyard balcony, so this is a good reminder to others to make sure to lock up everything in their place before they leave, even the balcony doors, despite how tempting it might be to let in the cool breeze during summer evenings.

I remember after Kim Kardashian got robbed in Paris, she completely stopped wearing fine jewellery since then. I wonder if this robbery will affect Tamara in a similar way, as my theory is that her jewellery and watch collection was the incentive for the robbers to target her and not so much the bags... plus I doubt people get robbed of their clothes and shoes because they wear and tear faster and have much lower resale value.

Regardless, I'm sure she will bounce back from this (with a bit of help from her connections in the industry) but it would be interesting to get her perspective on luxury after such a massive crime.

Considering the world is still doing it tough with the pandemic, it's not the greatest idea to flaunt an excessive wrist stack or post lots of consecutive designer haul videos. I guess for the rest of us, it's a reminder to be discreet with our luxury collections and tone it down a notch.
Hopefully she had some of her major items insured. I don’t have as much.
But a few of my pieces are insured and also we have a safe deposit at the bank for items like gold etc. when we go away everything is stored in there . So devastating to hear this.

Reactions: inverved
Because of the rise of the 'influencer' culture and the likes of the Kardashians I find that Hermes is less 'stealth' than it once was.
especially The Birkin and to a degree the Kelly.
This has made me very wary of purchasing either of these bags for the foreseeable future as I dont want to become a 'target'.
I work and live in London, use public transport or walk most places.
My dear friend was mugged last week in an affluent area of london, she got jumped by two youths who grabbed her from behind as she got out of her car, one pulled her sleeve up as the other one held her and demanded her Rolex which she wisely gave them-
They then asked for her cartier love bangles and demanded she take them off-she pointed out she needed a screwdriver and if they had one she would gladly give them the bracelets-she also said "take my car keys take my car but dont hurt me"..Its a very new high end car-One said "NO get the bag get the bag" They then grabbed her Birkin-tipped the contents on the sidewalk and took only the cash it contained and left her mobile phones, iPad , credit cards-And ran.
They also didn't grab her VCA bracelets or pendant or her rings.
The police said they went for recognisable luxury items they can sell.
She happily was not hurt but obviously very traumatised she is an older lady in her 60's and this was at 6.30pm in an affluent area of London.
The police also said that they must have seen her get out of her nice car and spotted the bag and guessed she would be wearing a good watch (it was a very high end model)
This sad tale tells me that Birkins at least are no longer 'stealth' but as statement as a Chanel logo bag.

Because of the rise of the 'influencer' culture and the likes of the Kardashians I find that Hermes is less 'stealth' than it once was.
This has made me very wary of purchasing either of these bags for the foreseeable future as I dont want to become a 'target'.
My dear friend was mugged last week in an affluent area of london, she got jumped by two youths who grabbed her from behind as she got out of her car, one pulled her sleeve up as the other one held her and demanded her Rolex which she wisely gave them-
They then asked for her cartier love bangles and demanded she take them off-she pointed out she needed a screwdriver and if they had one she would gladly give them the bracelets-she also said "take my car keys take my car but dont hurt me"..Its a very new high end car-One said "NO get the bag get the bag" They then grabbed her Birkin-tipped the contents on the sidewalk and took only the cash it contained and left her mobile phones, iPad , credit cards-And ran.
She happily was not hurt but obviously very traumatised she is an older lady in her 60's and this was at 6.30pm in an affluent area of London.
The police also said that they must have seen her get out of her nice car and spotted the bag and guessed she would be wearing a good watch (it was a very high end model)
This sad tale tells me that Birkins at least are no longer 'stealth' but as statement as a Chanel logo bag.
Really glad to hear your friend was unharmed! I found this account utterly terrifying. I live in central London and also tend to walk a lot. I’m naturally quite cautious but I’ve always felt that for a city of its size London is relatively safe and you do see a lot of Birkins and Kellys… for something like that to happen at 6:30 is shocking, I will definitely be more careful and pay more attention to my surroundings. :sad:
Sorry for the OT response!

Falling in line with this very sad theme, Just set up a tracker on my truck yesterday.

We will be looking into other personal security devices.

A short while ago we were discussing Hermes trackers. Sadly the brand was as usual right on the nail!

Tracking won’t stop injury or theft but it’s another layer of security.

May be a good time to take up a hobby and lie low for the winter....

Reactions: maxroxxherhandbags
Really glad to hear your friend was unharmed! I found this account utterly terrifying. I live in central London and also tend to walk a lot. I’m naturally quite cautious but I’ve always felt that for a city of its size London is relatively safe and you do see a lot of Birkins and Kellys… for something like that to happen at 6:30 is shocking, I will definitely be more careful and pay more attention to my surroundings. :sad:
Sorry for the OT response!
Like you I live in London in an area with a mixed demographic of very wealthy people and mainly middle class professionals, in the past couple of years it has become apparent that our area is being targeted by gangs ( and individuals) from outside the area usually on the ‘hire bikes’ that are scattered all over the place these days.
I was born and grew up in central London and although I was always streetwise I generally always felt safe especially in daylight and in ‘nice’ areas.
in the past year I have become more mindful of those around me.
I think London is generally’ok’ in terms of safety as long as one is mindful and aware of those in the vicinity.

Can highly recommend Chubb. They have dealt with all sorts of claims with compassion & real assistance. Not sure if they are international.

Also we have alarm company stickers on the windows & noticeable signs on fence at the road.

Big dogs are best though.
You can get a sign stating GUARD DOG ON PREMISES

No need to actually get the dog.

Should add our first break-in was done by the painters who had the run of our house. They learnt our schedules & seduced our big guard dog.

Only reason they were caught was when an undercover cop on pawnshop duty recognized them as just released from jail that morning for a prior crime.

We thought they were really nice guys & highly recommended by realtor.

The reality is London is not safe anymore. I have physically seen those moped gangs ram their bikes into a luxury watch store on Oxford Street. Since then my husband has not allowed me to take my Birkin or Constance to London or wear high end jewellery when he is not with me. I want an AP watch but what’s the point as I won’t get much wear out of it in London and do not want to be the easy target and get robbed. I will still continue to buy Hermes bags as that is my indulgence but I do worry about the world we live in and where I will use my bags in the future.

I continue to feel safe in London so long as I know where I am and know where I'm going. Yes, I dress accordingly, I don't carry a Birkin open (or otherwise) and this is one reason I love UTR bags and other items but I didn't buy things to have them line my walls as interior decor.

I used to live in a very mixed area of London, so many fakes of all kinds, no-one took a second look at any logo I may wear.

IMO, the important thing in so-called better neighbourhoods and tourist areas is not to look like a tourist or/and don't get distracted.

I've had my (Gucci, Liberty, Valentino) shopping bags stolen in a Piccadilly restaurant from right next to me, happily by handbag was on/between my feet. My 'fault' was agreeing to a meal in such a main street hang-out after a tiring long shopping day and stressful meeting. Being sooo tired and additionally with someone who was moody, took my mind off being vigilant.

I will never give-in to low-lifes robbing me of my right to wear what I want when I want to (and that goes for animal activists too) through fear.

Very glad that your friend is physically safe. As to the popularity and safety, it's really one of the reasons that I wish H would start to microchip their bags. Even Moncler now chips their jackets, and it would make it so much easier for law enforcement to stay on top of stolen/illegal items.