2021 Resolution: Shopping my own bag and SLG collection. Any one else?

NOVEMBER ACTIVITIES

1. Bags by Brand Showcase!

Each week, share photos of your bags from the specified brands. Choose a posed “beauty” shot or get your bags out and about in action shots!

We highlight 3 brands per week: 2 premier and 1 contemporary in alphabetical order as listed on tPF. Any brands not listed are showcased in our last week. Brands change to the next set each Sunday.

Our first brand week starts now - Sunday, Oct 31. Please share photos of bags from these brands:
  • Bottega Venetta
  • Burberry
  • Alexander Wang

Tip: Grab your photos from last year in the 2020 resolution thread. Search your user name and the brand to find your photos.

2. Special Stories
Thanks @Claudia Herzog for the suggestion

Wear a bag that has a backstory involving a person, place, or opportunity for which you feel grateful.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am lucky the bag that came yesterday will go to an other member in a group I am in. I had to take quite a few pictures of it, that I almost kept it, despite the uneven matching of hides on the bottom of the bag. The color ended up being almost the same color as the bag DH is giving me for Mothers Day. I do not need two bags almost the same size in the same color.
I definitely feel like during this pandemic I have been doing the opposite of Sparkle by changing things in my collection to keep myself from being bored. I am however very happy with my stuff at the moment.

Goals for the rest of 2021 (please excuse me basically yelling at myself here! :P):
- You have a pair of pumps and earrings on the wishlist you want to get for your wedding! Focus on those for May/June!
- Save and buy yourself one more lux bag in the fall. Plan this purchase carefully and think hard about what's best for your lifestyle and personal style!
- Avoid emotional spending on things like SLGs.
- You are allowed to impulse and emotionally buy fragrances.
- Don't get discouraged with feelings of FOMO for the various spring/summer drops. You have your two summer bags you bought in February!! They are hot bags and are on trend and you love them, so focus this summer on styling and wearing them! DON'T impulse buy any bags!
I like this so much!
I love that you allow yourself one area to be impulsive and emotional about. Lately I've done that with makeup. I now have a ridiculous amount of eyeshadow (which I rarely wear) and lipsticks (always), but I think having that one place where I can buy guilt-free and emotionally has been very good for me!
Hope it works for you! We are here to help.

@880
My congratulations on your anniversary and your Duret journey:smile::heart:

My 2 cents. I am not a person who buys and sells in accordance with the current fashion, much ado or maybe I am lazy for these fussy movements. I don't like being an masse either.
As far as bags concern I decided to go for 2 brands, Duret and Hermes SO. I go for quality not quantity and balance in my life.
Thank you so much, @Tasha1! I aspire to your ideal of quality, not quantity. before 2020, I had not bought any jewelry since 2001, for epneither the time nor inclination. But, I’d rather have a few dream pieces only. After we spoke to Duret, it is clear we are in the hands of a very capable, talented, and enthusiastic artisan. During covid, I also started to get into shape to be able to fit into old RTW and to be healthier. So, I let go of a lot of extraneous items in my wardrobe and started to update some stuff. I still keep some old RTW that I love though! hugs

thank you @JenJBS, @More bags, and @BowieFan1971! It doesn’t feel like thirty years of marriage :biggrin: My cuff was something that I dreamt about since I was in high school, but never ever thought I would ever see or try on IRL, much less have. (I didn’t realize coco was a nazi collaborator then, but I’ve since rationalized that if the Wertheimer family forgave her and regained their company, chanel was okay to purchase) Kind of a dream like an Hermes kelly

@Sparkletastic, I love your post!

@glendaPLEASE, have fun with fragrance, but in my experience, it’s easy to get carried away, and lots of them may not be full bottle worthy. I love vintage scent and used to sample some through Surrender to chance, a sample decant site.

@momasaurus, i find scarf stability in trying on what I have in different ways. but I do try to stay away from SOTD to Avoid too much temptation! Mainly if I buy, I’m hunting for older items I mistakenly let go (some more than once) DH and I are also embarking on a gut renovation of our new apartment with outdoor terraces, so infrastructure is where the maim spend will be this year. We hadn’t bought furniture or done renovations for over two decades, so it’s definitely time.

@BowieFan1971, @southernbelle43, re Botox, filler, laser, etc. agree. I meant only do it with a qualified, highly trained, reputable medical professional. One who is restrained enough to tell you honestly, nope s is a bad idea, or no, you don’t need this now, or this procedure isn’t for you. I’ve never had any procedure like this done by an aesthetician.

Last edited:
As an esthetician who had had clients that had “normal” side effects such as the Botox shifting into surrounding areas and freezing parts of the face not meant to be frozen, as well as scarring from infection caused by fillers, I can tell you there is risk even when done properly. Let alone fillers and Botox done at a “party” in possibly less than ideal or sterile conditions. It should only be done by professionals who are fully trained and who can provide verifiable referrals.
Absolutely. Thank you for weighing in on this. It is not to be taken lightly.

In the interim, I need to get my sparkle back. :yes: Need socialization. Need people. Need travel. Need to dress in something other than yoga pants and t-shirts. :huh:

Awww! I am sure you are busy SPARKLING up your house in your yoga pants and t-shirts. NOTHING can keep the sparkle down!

But, I feel ya. I’m in a funk today and really shouldn’t be. Yesterday I went wine tasting with two girlfriends, and the weather is great again today so I’m treating myself to going out to lunch, which is nice.

But I’m sort of bummed anyway. Probably COVID fatigue combined with the fact that DH is out of town. I’m in between hobbies, which is probably why there’s been some handbag churn. I need to find my next ‘thing.’ I work fairly long work weeks and my job takes up a decent amount of mental energy so usually on weeknights I’m happy to just relax with DH, watch TV, or find the end of the Internet. But on weekends I need to find myself more to do.

I am lucky the bag that came yesterday will go to an other member in a group I am in. I had to take quite a few pictures of it, that I almost kept it, despite the uneven matching of hides on the bottom of the bag. The color ended up being almost the same color as the bag DH is giving me for Mothers Day. I do not need two bags almost the same size in the same color.
I definitely feel like during this pandemic I have been doing the opposite of Sparkle by changing things in my collection to keep myself from being bored. I am however very happy with my stuff at the moment.
I’m glad you love the changes you’ve made. That is a very happy place to be!

I just can’t take selling anything else. :no: Having sold literally hundreds of bags before, I almost have bag selling PTSD. Which is why I switched into more classic styles. I didn’t want to feel any angst with having a bag that felt dated or that I simply got sick of.
Awww! I am sure you are busy SPARKLING up your house in your yoga pants and t-shirts. NOTHING can keep the sparkle down!

But, I feel ya. I’m in a funk today and really shouldn’t be. Yesterday I went wine tasting with two girlfriends, and the weather is great again today so I’m treating myself to going out to lunch, which is nice.

But I’m sort of bummed anyway. Probably COVID fatigue combined with the fact that DH is out of town. I’m in between hobbies, which is probably why there’s been some handbag churn. I need to find my next ‘thing.’ I work fairly long work weeks and my job takes up a decent amount of mental energy so usually on weeknights I’m happy to just relax with DH, watch TV, or find the end of the Internet. But on weekends I need to find myself more to do.
It’s funny. I realized that I’ve always taken on the “burden” of being sparkly and eternally optimistic in my family and friend group. After some introspection, I determined that while a lot of this does come naturally (I usually am pretty happy / optimistic / energetic), some is codependence from having a horribly abusive narcissistic mom (I unconsciously feel responsible for other people’s happiness.)

So, I’ve given myself room to be crinkly vs sparkly at times. And to let others be uplifting and supportive of me. It’s not that comfortable yet but, I’m learning. :whut:

That being said, yep. My yoga pants and t shirts are definitely on the super cute & fashionable end of the spectrum. Casual? Yes. Blah? Never. :lol:

And to let others be uplifting and supportive of me
I’m sure everyone around you will sppreciate the opportunity to return the sparkle! (There’s narcissism in my family too)
@Jereni, I hate when my DH travelled for business too! Glad you had a good time with your girlfriends and took yourself to lunch today!

@BowieFan1971, you look after so many people in your life, I’m glad you have some opportunity now to hang out with girlfriends and recharge!

thank you @cowgirlsboots and @More bags! time flies. I feel very fortunate, and whoa, it doesn’t seem like 30 years :biggrin:
hugs

Last edited:
I’m glad you love the changes you’ve made. That is a very happy place to be!

I just can’t take selling anything else. :no: Having sold literally hundreds of bags before, I almost have bag selling PTSD. Which is why I switched into more classic styles. I didn’t want to feel any angst with having a bag that felt dated or that I simply got sick of. It’s funny. I realized that I’ve always taken on the “burden” of being sparkly and eternally optimistic in my family and friend group. After some introspection, I determined that while a lot of this does come naturally (I usually am pretty happy / optimistic / energetic), some is codependence from having a horribly abusive narcissistic mom (I unconsciously feel responsible for other people’s happiness.)

So, I’ve given myself room to be crinkly vs sparkly at times. And to let others be uplifting and supportive of me. It’s not that comfortable yet but, I’m learning. :whut:

That being said, yep. My yoga pants and t shirts are definitely on the super cute & fashionable end of the spectrum. Casual? Yes. Blah? Never. :lol:

Please give your needy side room in your life, too! Being sparkly 24-7 must be exhausting!

My April stats:
Bags in: 0
Bags out: 1
SLGs in: 0
SLGs out: 0

I bought a malachite Kelly dog bracelet, but most importantly - NO scarves!!! I am seriously trying to cut back. Friends are in a buying frenzy (luckily nothing they are lusting after appeals to me), and I am resisting. I wonder if I can make it through another month......?

Good Luck for making it through another month!
I´ll simply have to cut back now. The New Lock was pricey for my standards and I´m on ban island now.

@Jereni @Sparkletastic
I have had a weird time of adjustment during all this too. My nanny job was put on hiatus for the last 14 months while the mom worked from home, then she quit her job and has not started a new one yet. My at home spa biz definitely slowed down after the surge in January and bag sales have sucked. So in many ways, I am not working for the first time in my life. I have enough trickling in and in savings to take care of my personal bills for the rest of this year if need be and my DH has always earned wayyyyy more than me. I try to contribute by keeping the house clean and cooking, which I don’t mind doing. I am OCD about the house and a much better cook than my DH, so I would do it anyway. But it all leaves me in a place I have a hard time with at times...I was so used to being the head of the household and the boss for so very long. In fact, my son’s nickname for me is Boss Lady. :lol: I do have my weekly visits with my mom and now the yard needs attention again, plus I help a woman with office work/organizing here and there, so I am able to keep occupied. But not with purpose, I guess you could say. Just in the last few weeks I have spent time with two different women I have gotten to know and really enjoyed myself. I have never really had many close friendships, and female friendships have always been a challenge for me because I and/or my life circumstances are/have been very atypical in a lot of ways. Plus when you work as intensely with people as I have always done in my work, I need time away from people to recharge and have balance. It was so nice to go to lunch and hang with these women...doing what other women do with their friends. I like these women and it is really nice to be able to be a part of myself I don’t get to be with my DH or my family. I think this is a time where everybody is kind of looking at their normal life and reevaluating a bit. Which makes you look at who you are, how you relate to others and define yourself in relation to others. Which is a good thing...keeps us real and in control of our lives, instead of just living by rote and letting our routine control us.

I know I am rambling, but bottom line-I know what you mean and right there with you.

Thank you so much, @Tasha1! I aspire to your ideal of quality, not quantity. before 2020, I had not bought any jewelry since 2001, for epneither the time nor inclination. But, I’d rather have a few dream pieces only. After we spoke to Duret, it is clear we are in the hands of a very capable, talented, and enthusiastic artisan. During covid, I also started to get into shape to be able to fit into old RTW and to be healthier. So, I let go of a lot of extraneous items in my wardrobe and started to update some stuff. I still keep some old RTW that I love though! hugs

thank you @JenJBS, @More bags, and @BowieFan1971! It doesn’t feel like thirty years of marriage :biggrin: My cuff was something that I dreamt about since I was in high school, but never ever thought I would ever see or try on IRL, much less have. (I didn’t realize coco was a nazi collaborator then, but I’ve since rationalized that if the Wertheimer family forgave her and regained their company, chanel was okay to purchase) Kind of a dream like an Hermes kelly

@Sparkletastic, I love your post!

@glendaPLEASE, have fun with fragrance, but in my experience, it’s easy to get carried away, and lots of them may not be full bottle worthy. I love vintage scent and used to sample some through Surrender to chance, a sample decant site.

@momasaurus, i find scarf stability in trying on what I have in different ways. but I do try to stay away from SOTD to Avoid too much temptation! Mainly if I buy, I’m hunting for older items I mistakenly let go (some more than once) DH and I are also embarking on a gut renovation of our new apartment with outdoor terraces, so infrastructure is where the maim spend will be this year. We hadn’t bought furniture or done renovations for over two decades, so it’s definitely time.

@BowieFan1971, @southernbelle43, re Botox, filler, laser, etc. agree. I meant only do it with a qualified, highly trained, reputable medical professional. One who is restrained enough to tell you honestly, nope s is a bad idea, or no, you don’t need this now, or this procedure isn’t for you. I’ve never had any procedure like this done by an aesthetician.
Yesss! Outdoor space takes precedence over everything IMO.

I would de
@Jereni @Sparkletastic
I have had a weird time of adjustment during all this too. My nanny job was put on hiatus for the last 14 months while the mom worked from home, then she quit her job and has not started a new one yet. My at home spa biz definitely slowed down after the surge in January and bag sales have sucked. So in many ways, I am not working for the first time in my life. I have enough trickling in and in savings to take care of my personal bills for the rest of this year if need be and my DH has always earned wayyyyy more than me. I try to contribute by keeping the house clean and cooking, which I don’t mind doing. I am OCD about the house and a much better cook than my DH, so I would do it anyway. But it all leaves me in a place I have a hard time with at times...I was so used to being the head of the household and the boss for so very long. In fact, my son’s nickname for me is Boss Lady. :lol: I do have my weekly visits with my mom and now the yard needs attention again, plus I help a woman with office work/organizing here and there, so I am able to keep occupied. But not with purpose, I guess you could say. Just in the last few weeks I have spent time with two different women I have gotten to know and really enjoyed myself. I have never really had many close friendships, and female friendships have always been a challenge for me because I and/or my life circumstances are/have been very atypical in a lot of ways. Plus when you work as intensely with people as I have always done in my work, I need time away from people to recharge and have balance. It was so nice to go to lunch and hang with these women...doing what other women do with their friends. I like these women and it is really nice to be able to be a part of myself I don’t get to be with my DH or my family. I think this is a time where everybody is kind of looking at their normal life and reevaluating a bit. Which makes you look at who you are, how you relate to others and define yourself in relation to others. Which is a good thing...keeps us real and in control of our lives, instead of just living by rote and letting our routine control us.

I know I am rambling, but bottom line-I know what you mean and right there with you.
I would definitely enjoy lunch with you! I totally get all this.