Will you buy a Louis Vuitton with your stimulus check?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m all for helping people that need it for real reasons, but a luxury bag? Really? This makes me wonder how many people will be spending their government money on unnecessary things and not what that check was intended for.

Based on what I’ve read, I won’t be getting any government money, but if I did, I wouldn’t be spending it on a bag or anything else so unnecessary. That’s so irresponsible and reprehensible.

The check is supposed to stimulate the economy. I believe that’s where the word Stimulus comes from. It has happened twice before in the USA but life wasn’t so dire when those checks were issued. Those checks were mainly to help stimulate the economy. This check though is both to stimulate the economy and help people survive. If you truly don’t need it maybe use it to help others. Buy items from a local store to donate. I think Louis Vuitton will be ok so try to keep within the spirit of it and help out your fellow struggling human.

The check is supposed to stimulate the economy. I believe that’s where the word Stimulus comes from. It has happened twice before in the USA but life wasn’t so dire when those checks were issued. Those checks were mainly to help stimulate the economy. This check though is both to stimulate the economy and help people survive. If you truly don’t need it maybe use it to help others. Buy items from a local store to donate. I think Louis Vuitton will be ok so try to keep within the spirit of it and help out your fellow struggling human.
This whole stimulus bill supporting the big corporations is supposed to keep the world rich American keep their lifestyle. They have enough money to reinvest their business in this troubling time too. I’m being serious. Because to be honest this whole $1200 check to be given to most Americans that are stuck to stay home because of this virus breakout is not going to be enough to keep their life on float.

Last edited:
I have never purchased a designer handbag. I have always dedicated extra money towards my home. I think I may purchase the monogram petite Noe when I get the stimulus check that we are supposed to get. Are you ladies or men saving your stimulus or buying a designer handbag?
Your profile says you are a school teacher and everyone knows teachers in general are woefully underpaid. However, it sounds like you have been very responsible with your money over the years and are considering purchasing something you've always wanted but, until now, chose not to buy because your priorities have been elsewhere.

The purpose of a stimulus check is to help stimulate the economy by providing consumers with spending money. Period. There is absolutely nothing that says the money must go towards small and/or local businesses. If someone feels that's the best use of their stimulus check, great. If someone else feels compelled to purchase something from a major or luxury retailer that's great too because both are stimulating the economy. I'm sorry that the answer to an innocent question was met with such criticism. I hope that if you do decide to purchase your first designer bag with the money you receive it doesn't spoil the joy you would normally feel when you buy your first designer bag.

I know this thing is serious and it really impacted everyone in a negative way, some worse than others. We can all agree on that. However, if OP has lived her life in a responsible manner and even with the impact, still is able to live and buy a handbag, then so be it. She didn't personally beg for this money saying she needs it for her bills and turning around and buying a handbag.

People are still buying LV online and even this forum posted Nordstrom's sale, why are those purchases okay and this one isn't? This stimulus money can be deposited and pay her bills and the money she would've used to pay bills can be used for the bag. Is there a difference?

There's some stat that 60% of Americans don't have a $1,000 in savings. Those people will really need this money but maybe they should've saved more, like her. This money is meant to be put back into the marketplace and she gets to choose where it goes. Out of the $2T, there will be people/ companies misusing or taking advantage in gobs. Her $1,200 is the least of our worries as tax payers.

So I say if you can and want to, then you should. It's clear you are not a frivolous spender as you say this is your first lux bag so don't let people who have a closet full of lux handbags dictate how you spend your money. I think you've done fine on your own. :smile:

I know it appears you are pretty new on here, but please please please don't go away! I know this thread was a tough one, but I really love that you came here to ask a question about, of course, a BAG! I think maybe the wording might have been a little different, like , I am going to use the check to cover my necessities and if I am able to save on top of that then I was thinking xxxx. You are a teacher, and boy do you have it rough already I am sure, and also I am sure most times it's thankless.

It's a weird time, everything is upside down, and most people are not in their usual mojo. I am sure you are a very nice person, and conveying that in a forum where it's blind and anonymous and only using a paragraph here or there to ask something makes it impossible for any of us to judge you as a person (nor should we ever).

Please stay safe, take care, and when the time is right, enjoy your new wonderful bag.

If this was meant for consumers to stimulate the economy by going shopping (or other economy-stimulating activities), why doesn’t everyone get it, and not just those under a certain income? Just because you make more than $100k doesn’t necessarily mean you also have more disposable income than someone who makes less. I will happily go shopping if the money is meant for shopping and eating out and having a good, economy-boosting time. But I won’t get the stimulus which is fine, because I don’t need it like others do. But if others “needs” are luxury items, then shoot, send me that $1200 too!

But because of the income qualifier, I assumed this was money to help those who need it during this difficult time for things like bills and necessities. Not designer bags.

If this was meant for consumers to stimulate the economy by going shopping (or other economy-stimulating activities), why doesn’t everyone get it, and not just those under a certain income? Just because you make more than $100k doesn’t necessarily mean you also have more disposable income than someone who makes less. I will happily go shopping if the money is meant for shopping and eating out and having a good, economy-boosting time. But I won’t get the stimulus which is fine, because I don’t need it like others do. But if others “needs” are luxury items, then shoot, send me that $1200 too!

But because of the income qualifier, I assumed this was money to help those who need it during this difficult time for things like bills and necessities. Not designer bags.
Are you for real?

Wow! I’ve been meaning to join this site, and with all of the down time I’ve had, I finally decide to do it and the first post I see is one where everyone’s attacking some for a question that I’ve seen in EVERY appreciation group or forum I know... Sheesh, no one knows OP’s financial status or how much she has already supported those who need it. It’s really easy to shame and pass judgement behind a keyboard, but would any of you stand in front of Best Buy or the LV store in the mall with that same sentiment? OP, buy whatever you want! It’s YOUR tax money as well, and if you want to spend it on luxury, don’t let anyone stop you! Your purchase could help a SA/CA get a badly needed bonus! Get the bag, post the bag, appreciate the bag!! Stay healthy and wash your hands!

Status
Not open for further replies.