Any thoughts on how the Covid-19 is affecting the bag productions and offers?

jessicaeyen62

Sep 4, 2019
Hi guys, the recent and ongoing Covid-19 is literally driving the public anxious and stressed! With the stock market tumbled to bear zone and sharp increases in cases globally, I was wondering how will the luxury brands including Hermes, Rolex, and Patek Phillipe react to their strategy in terms of production and offers? Do you have any thoughts on it?

According to multiple SAs in different countries, they are seeing a dramatic drop in sales.

My local H store is reducing hours and closing on tuesdays starting next week.

I would assume that this might free up some product in the very near future but I’m sure soon enough H will place new measures to keep a tight grip on supply.

I have no idea but I am concerned for the safety of staff, especially my SA. It’s really scary to be in a service job right now. It would be better if they cut hours and production and keep people safe. It would be nice if they would guarantee staff income when they did that. I am sure staff are worried about personal and job security.

That said when I have been trying to distract myself I have been coming here and looking at the website and I have noticed much isn’t going up on the website. I imagine there aren’t a lot of shipments right now.

I just hope the staff at the stores are safe since they are supposed to be dealing with hundreds of clients daily. This is a very scary time for people in the food service, retail, restaurant, and hospitality industries.
I've been told that Vegas stores are now closing every Wednesday and their daily store hours are now 11:00-8:00. Not more midnight closure which is good for the staff to go home early and get plenty of rest.

According to multiple SAs in different countries, they are seeing a dramatic drop in sales.

My local H store is reducing hours and closing on tuesdays starting next week.

I would assume that this might free up some product in the very near future but I’m sure soon enough H will place new measures to keep a tight grip on supply.
Yes I agree. I think they would even lower the production for less revenue but not to offer more than they used to. The brand image needs to stay the same.

Reactions: aksaiyo and abg12
I've been told that Vegas stores are now closing every Wednesday and their daily store hours are now 11:00-8:00. Not more midnight closure which is good for the staff to go home early and get plenty of rest.
That’s so true. Today I emailed/texted each of my sa hope they will stay safe and take care of themselves and family. But my Hermes sa is still traveling during the weekend... Hope he is OK.

Reactions: chkpfbeliever
I have no idea but I am concerned for the safety of staff, especially my SA. It’s really scary to be in a service job right now. It would be better if they cut hours and production and keep people safe. It would be nice if they would guarantee staff income when they did that. I am sure staff are worried about personal and job security.

That said when I have been trying to distract myself I have been coming here and looking at the website and I have noticed much isn’t going up on the website. I imagine there aren’t a lot of shipments right now.
Yeah I thought so too. Better to have the employees health in the first priority and overcome this event very soon!

Definitely we're seeing more people getting offers in the past few weeks. My theory is that there are also less people willing to travel to stores to pick up their bags, especially those that have to cross states. Also, as Asian, I know some of my friends are more cautious than the average American and will wear mask to go out and avoid shopping unless necessary so it is obvious that demand had come down or had been put on hold. Better chance for those that are looking for their first Kelly or Birkin as the need and amount to spend on other categories may be less than before.

I was told that corporate are allowing their staff to wear masks to protect themselves but given that it is not part of our culture and the terrible misconceptions about wearing masks, the store is hesitant to implement them.

Not if one of our loved ones or we get sick

Economic collapse and a subsequent depression has a higher death rate than the virus. I don't think that people should be shopping, but caring about the luxury goods industry is not mutually exclusive from wanting people to be healthy. These are both tied together... our health and the health of our economies. So many people have not lived through a depression and do not understand how damaging that is to a population. The death rate during a depression can be greater than 30%. Obviously we should care about the virus, but care about the health of people from other disasters. The ignorance is palpable here. It's not uncouth for the OP to ask about the luxury goods market. We shouldn't stick our heads in the sand from other other maladies because of one major one. Be cognizant and mindful of everything if you have the brain space.

Economic collapse and a subsequent depression has a higher death rate than the virus. I don't think that people should be shopping, but caring about the luxury goods industry is not mutually exclusive from wanting people to be healthy. These are both tied together... our health and the health of our economies. So many people have not lived through a depression and do not understand how damaging that is to a population. The death rate during a depression can be greater than 30%. Obviously we should care about the virus, but care about the health of people from other disasters. The ignorance is palpable here. It's not uncouth for the OP to ask about the luxury goods market. We shouldn't stick our heads in the sand from other other maladies because of one major one. Be cognizant and mindful of everything if you have the brain space.

I'm quite aware of history, thank you. I think we need to be aware that behind the statistics are real deaths and bereavements.

I haven't said a word about the validity of the thread despite other members reporting how distasteful it is to discuss in such terms.

If this thread becomes a drama, f,ull of point scoring and venom towards other members it will be closed.

Sticking straight to the topic here, I have not yet felt this personally while shopping at Hermes. I am a newer client, that is for sure, but I've not really felt that there has been scarcity yet in terms of inventory, for one thing. My boutique up until this week has been receiving deliveries from France. My requested transfer items have arrived on a timely manner. I've not yet heard of any impending delays on any of my custom ordered items either, but I anticipate that across the board it is more in the spirit of keeping as positive of an attitude as you can in these types of situations.

I am definitely more concerned for the well-being of the folks that not only work at my boutique, but all of the people that craft these lovely items for us. From a production standpoint, I am sure that we might see this start to fall off a little bit, but I am hoping that it is truly in the interest of the health and well-being for the employees that make them and serve us.

Last edited:
Reactions: jessicaeyen62