Harvey Weinstein

Her rape took place in 1997, not 2007. She's been living with it for a full 20 years.

I think she didn't speak out for the same reason all of the apparently hundreds of other victims didn't. One of those reasons is that she needs to support herself and knew that Harvey was capable of destroying her career.

I can just imagine the public reaction had she spoken up as a lone accuser in 1997....or 2007. She would have been accused of retaliating against Harvey with a false accusation because he failed to help her career....and that she wanted a payday because her career was failing.....and that she she dated Marilyn Manson so obviously she uses men to get ahead...and that she has no proof so nobody can do anything about it anyway.

And then people like Kate Winslet and Cate Blanchett who work with Woody Allen because they have "no way of knowing what really happened" would continue to work with Weinstein and he would have been fine. It took two major publications assembling multiple accusers and convincing them that they had safety in numbers in order to bring Weinstein down. (Some, like Claire Forlani, were still too scared to participate in The New Yorker article.)

None of Harvey's victims deserve "shade" for how they coped with their assault. Have some empathy.
Edited my post to 1997. My mistake.

I read last night that in Harvey's contract with TWC if he was hit with any allegations of sexual misconduct the company would pay the women. Harvey would be penalized and have to pay the company a fine -
1st time $250K
2nd time $500K
3rd time $750K
4th time and forever $1M every time allegations were brought against him - if they were justified and a settlement was handed out by TWC.
They knew. They all knew on that board about his behavior. And they condoned it.

OMG! Well, yea they knew! Wow and his spokesperson Sallie - geez!

I do now feel a handful of celebrities are being a bit more honest...such as Emma Thompson. I can see how you hear rumours, know about his bullying behaviour anyway but you may not know-know first hand. It’s just that it was an open secret. I can even see why Ryan Gosling said he was ashamed for being oblivious. I think he means that both men & women need to actively do the right thing protect others, not to be complacent. Really scary situation and I can see how it’s like Game of Thrones like whatever King Joffrey wishes!

Reactions: peppermintpatty
You know, reading what Kate Beckinsale said and Claire Forlani, I can sort of see how/why their careers did not take flight after all. I am truly wondering about some other starlets who were poised to have great careers and then...faded into near oblivion with B, C movies or very tiny roles.

Rose Mcgowan has a lot to be angry for and I understand she suffered for years and with more women coming forward, is not one lawyer or other victims collaborating with her to make a real case somewhere or advising her? From what Rose Mcgowan is saying, a lot of men knew and it seems they all knew and did nothing to protect her or other women/men, in order to keep working in Hollywood. Now I am not involved with Hollywood, but I knew this kind of garbage was going on-as it is no surprise to me either.

Reactions: kkfiregirl
And then people like Kate Winslet and Cate Blanchett who work with Woody Allen....
Am I the only one who didn't yet know that Ronan Farrow is Woody Allen's son?? I have been following the story for days and only just saw that tidbit today. I didn't connect Farrow to Mia when I heard the name and I didn't ever see it mentioned on the board, although I have lost of stuff on ignore. It makes sense he'd have the story though, being somewhat of an insider and perhaps pursuing it b/c of his father, for whatever reason he may have.

apparently Rose is upset that Ryan didn't mention her name (and other victims) when he talked about Harvey's misdeeds.
It was just a generic statement condemning Harvey and supporting the victims, nothing special but it didn't mention the women by name... whatever it was that really set McGowen off is a mystery because getting angry about the omission of names seems silly. She's gone after Affleck and one other that I've noticed but in those cases she had experiences that directly contradicted what they were saying... so maybe she knows Gosling knew about the stories and was really irritated by that or maybe she's been plugged into her twitter feed for too long.
Ahh, I thought he must have said something dramatic by the way people were saying Rose McGowan was going off on one.
Thanks for the replies, ladies!

Reactions: kkfiregirl
Ahh, I thought he must have said something dramatic by the way people were saying Rose McGowan was going off on one.
Thanks for the replies, ladies!
I'm probably going to get flamed for this but it seems like with the reaction to Ryan's statement, Rose may be seeking attention. Not saying she doesn't have a legit grievance but she is getting a lot of attention for this and she is an actress after all.

Reactions: missmoimoi
Rose is going rogue. I wish she would have been able to be as clear and concise as Emma Thompson, but her rage comes from being a victim and not being believed when she told her story. So I get why she is lashing out and naming names.
This is going to sound snobby but some of it is the difference between having a Cambridge education and being the child who was emancipated from parents (who were part of the children of God cult) at 15 with a high school diploma. As Emma says she's speaking from a privileged position and no doubt Rose is a resourceful and tough person but where has she had the opportunity to really develop her critical thinking skills? HWood? Activist groups? Twitter? (god forbid)

And this is going to sound even snobbier but... I watch some American news and British news and most of time the British news is a better environment for teasing out an issue. American news with their panel discussion often feels like theatre or sport and then you can't say this because it's problematic and you can't say that because it's even more problematic so you end up shutting down discussions before they even start.

I see the online news orgs are pushing Rose forward as their poster girl... OMG, they're just trying to distract from their own guilt, it's such bullsh*t and such clickbait. I hope Rose has enough sense to keep them at a distance but she's an actress so you know how those things go.

I really hope nothing happens to any of the accusers after they've spoken out as candidly as they have ... "freak accident" or otherwise... :hrmm:

As for naming names... no one wants to get sued. You can’t expect others to speak on your behalf in the exact words as you wish.

I'm probably going to get flamed for this but it seems like with the reaction to Ryan's statement, Rose may be seeking attention. Not saying she doesn't have a legit grievance but she is getting a lot of attention for this and she is an actress after all.
I've been noticing all the Rose McGowen headlines in my google news feed today so I'm guessing that's why everyone's going off on her today. I'm not sure she's seeking it out as much as it's a huge story and they want to frame the story in a particular way. It feels like they've decided that what this story needs now is a hero and who better than plucky Rose McGowen to pick up the torch. It feels very HWood to me, I hope that McGowen would see the pitfalls in it but again she is an actress and this is kind of thing is like crack to an actor.

All the articles highlighting what people knew and what they didn't also feels like the press is using it as a shield because they were also complicit, many veteran reporters knew and didn't dig further which is literally their job.

I feel the McGowen aspect of the story and the who knew what and the personal responsibility angle is about 15-25% of the story. The larger percentage is what's going to happen to Harvey and those close to him who supported him and what can be done about the others in HWood who share a similar reputation be taken down and what the hell is HWood going to do about cleaning up their sh*t. I wish the press would focus more on that but it's such a big story there's tons to be made from the more sensational clickbait stuff.

I'm going to get in trouble for not placing enough emphasis on the victim's voice but really at this stage I want action... kind of tired of HWood peddling emotional stories and not doing sh*t.

Reactions: PewPew