Share Your Latest VCA Purchase

This doesn't include everything, but give you idea -- from softest to hardest

Moh's Scale of Mineral Hardness
mohs-scale_zpsbn1zrksb.jpg

Malachite is one of those stones they say to be very careful with, but I think it is mostly common sense things. Don't submerge in water, don't wear while you are doing work around the house, etc.
Please pardon my ignorance but which group would ONYX and CARNELIAN fall in ?

Didn't see this until I posted above but what about CARNELIAN?

Gosh!!! I so wish I can have a 20 Carnelian and a 20 TE to wear together :loveeyes:

I had no clue, so looked it up, and according to this source onyx, carnelian, and chalcedony are all listed at 6.5-7.0 on the Moh's scale.

http://www.gemselect.com/gem-info/gem-hardness-info.php

This source also says:
To give some examples from everyday life,
a fingernail has a hardness of 2;
a copper penny, about 3;
a knife blade, 5;
window glass, 5.5;
and a steel file, 6.5.

Reactions: megt10
I love, love, love malachite and your ring is gorgeous!

I am sure they told you, but malachite is very soft stone, so make sure to take care of your beautiful baby!

Thank you! I knew about malachite being a soft stone, but it grabbed me so hard that I can be happy only wearing it when it won't get wet or knocked around. We lost our sweet dog to cancer at the end of May and when I saw this ring I thought there was no better piece to remind me of the luck, love, and good fortune he brought for the past 10-1/2 years.

Oops, guess I don't know how to reply, sbelle.

Thank you! I knew about malachite being a soft stone, but it grabbed me so hard that I can be happy only wearing it when it won't get wet or knocked around. We lost our sweet dog to cancer at the end of May and when I saw this ring I thought there was no better piece to remind me of the luck, love, and good fortune he brought for the past 10-1/2 years.

Oops, guess I don't know how to reply, sbelle.

Losing a pet is devastating. I hope your beautiful ring brings you some peace. :smile: