A reveal and a weird SA situation...

JazzyMac

Jazzy says, "buy the bag".
O.G.
Aug 22, 2013
My recent visit to Hermes was a bit weird. A little back story...

I've fallen in live with the Hermes Dogon. Big Dogon, compact Dogon, I love them all! When I got my Rouge H Dogon, I asked the SA to please let me know if other pieces of the same color arrived. I knew it was a long shot, but she said she would. A few weeks later, wow, she sent me a text that a Rouge Garance Dogon had arrived. I wasn't sure how I would feel about Rouge Garance, since it's a real red not dark red, but I asked her if I could see it in person. Again, a long shot...but I felt that perhaps she would hold it since she texted me in the first place. Thing was, I know she was being helpful, but I was looking for Rouge H, or Prune colors, so I wasn't fast to say "yes" to the Rouge Garance.

Over the next few days, I researched Rouge Garance, and decided that I did love the color, and I love Dogon so much that I would get it. I arrived at Hermes ready to retrieve the Dogon and the SA told me that it had been sold.

I felt a bit put off about that. No, we didn't have an agreement, and I didn't make a decision...I just felt a bit put down that she let it get sold after telling me about it. I (now) wanted the Dogon. It's okay though.

Well, of course, I'm looking around and pick up a piece that she also told me about...a mini Ulysse in Brique. Perfect for my handbags (!!!!!!!)

The SA also gestured toward the Garden Parties. Of course, I'd done a ton of research on them, and felt that eventually I would get a Garden Party...but no rush. I had the Bolide, Lindy, and Picotin to get! Well, what happens? She takes the Rouge H (!!!!) Garden Party out, and I loved it. The leather was sooo soft and it fit on my arm so perfectly. Love at first wear. I also saw the Etoupe smaller Garden Party (not sure what number size). That was also cute, but the SA convinced me that since the prices were almost similar...a difference of a few hundred, I should get the bigger one because "I get more leather". I agreed.

I hemmed and hawed a bit more, and decided to think on it since I had another appointment across town. Even though I've dived deep into the Handbag World, I still have to think a few long minutes before making such a huge purchase that wasn't originally planned. Well, as I was purchasing the Ulysse, I could tell the SA grew cold with me. She was short and barely spoke as she put together my package, payment, etc. It was an evident attitude as the other SAs were also silent--not mean, per se, but just "uh oh, she's upset". It couldn't be because I didn't get the GP? I am definitely not one to claim SAs as my new BFFs, announce how much money XX company gets from me, or act like I'm owed something, etc. I wanted a Dogon, and she let it get sold, doesn't mean I was anxious to buy an expensive tote bag...no matter how dreamy it was, and soft, and beautiful.

I digress. I once again expressed my interest in the Dogon, and how I want more in Rouge H (to have for backup), and also more colors. I just love the wallet! Well, the SA said, "Why do you want the same color?" I'm not sure if it was meant to be as rough as it was, but I felt weird explaining it. Besides (once again), if she had kept the Rouge Garance for me, I would have the same wallet, but different colors.

To conclude the story, I did go back a few hours later and get the Garden Party. But why did I feel it was more "her" purchase than "my" purchase? I feel that I had to get back in the SA's good graces by buying the bag. Like I owed her something.

Of course I could be wrong or just paranoid after reading so many stories here. It was just a weird feeling. And I do love my new Garden Party!

Without further ado,

Mini Ulysse in Brique
Garden Party 36 in Rouge H

Attachments

• JazzyPurses_095.jpg
    JazzyPurses_095.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 1,828
  • JazzyPurses_099.jpg
    JazzyPurses_099.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 1,845
Great bag- it does sound like all she wanted was for you to buy the bag so she would get her commission, it doesn't sound like she was interested in helping you. I would find another SA.

I've fallen in live with the Hermes Dogon. Big Dogon, compact Dogon, I love them all! When I got my Rouge H Dogon, I asked the SA to please let me know if other pieces of the same color arrived. I knew it was a long shot, but she said she would. A few weeks later, wow, she sent me a text that a Rouge Garance Dogon had arrived. I wasn't sure how I would feel about Rouge Garance, since it's a real red not dark red, but I asked her if I could see it in person. Again, a long shot...but I felt that perhaps she would hold it since she texted me in the first place. Thing was, I know she was being helpful, but I was looking for Rouge H, or Prune colors, so I wasn't fast to say "yes" to the Rouge Garance.

Over the next few days, I researched Rouge Garance, and decided that I did love the color, and I love Dogon so much that I would get it. I arrived at Hermes ready to retrieve the Dogon and the SA told me that it had been sold.

I felt a bit put off about that. No, we didn't have an agreement, and I didn't make a decision...I just felt a bit put down that she let it get sold after telling me about it. I (now) wanted the Dogon. It's okay though.

Well, of course, I'm looking around and pick up a piece that she also told me about...a mini Ulysse in Brique. Perfect for my handbags (!!!!!!!)

The SA also gestured toward the Garden Parties. Of course, I'd done a ton of research on them, and felt that eventually I would get a Garden Party...but no rush. I had the Bolide, Lindy, and Picotin to get! Well, what happens? She takes the Rouge H (!!!!) Garden Party out, and I loved it. The leather was sooo soft and it fit on my arm so perfectly. Love at first wear. I also saw the Etoupe smaller Garden Party (not sure what number size). That was also cute, but the SA convinced me that since the prices were almost similar...a difference of a few hundred, I should get the bigger one because "I get more leather". I agreed.

I hemmed and hawed a bit more, and decided to think on it since I had another appointment across town. Even though I've dived deep into the Handbag World, I still have to think a few long minutes before making such a huge purchase that wasn't originally planned. Well, as I was purchasing the Ulysse, I could tell the SA grew cold with me. She was short and barely spoke as she put together my package, payment, etc. It was an evident attitude as the other SAs were also silent--not mean, per se, but just "uh oh, she's upset". It couldn't be because I didn't get the GP? I am definitely not one to claim SAs as my new BFFs, announce how much money XX company gets from me, or act like I'm owed something, etc. I wanted a Dogon, and she let it get sold, doesn't mean I was anxious to buy an expensive tote bag...no matter how dreamy it was, and soft, and beautiful.

I digress. I once again expressed my interest in the Dogon, and how I want more in Rouge H (to have for backup), and also more colors. I just love the wallet! Well, the SA said, "Why do you want the same color?" I'm not sure if it was meant to be as rough as it was, but I felt weird explaining it. Besides (once again), if she had kept the Rouge Garance for me, I would have the same wallet, but different colors.

To conclude the story, I did go back a few hours later and get the Garden Party. But why did I feel it was more "her" purchase than "my" purchase? I feel that I had to get back in the SA's good graces by buying the bag. Like I owed her something.

Of course I could be wrong or just paranoid after reading so many stories here. It was just a weird feeling. And I do love my new Garden Party!

Without further ado,

Mini Ulysse in Brique
I can understand your feeling. Nevertheless, this is a superb bag, and a very nice Ulysse! :smile: The feeling is going to fly away, and the bag will stay! ;)

Honestly , I think you're overreacting. If you didn't specify that you wanted the rouge g wallet to be held for you I'm not surprised it wasn't. And there is no way to know if the SA was disappointed you didn't immediately buy the GP or reacting (if she was) to something completely different.

I wouldn't overthink it. Just enjoy your new purchases.

Mistikat is correct, it could be something else that was on her mind. We all take things personally when very often it is all to do with the other party. I also agree she had no reason to hold an item if you didn't ask for it to be held.

That said, and not to be cold, but if you didn't like her/ she wasn't warm to you, there are hundreds of H SAs in this world :smile: I would not buy again from someone who made me feel less than cherished. My SA is lovely to me whether I buy or not, and the last SA I interacted with in a strange store didn't HAVE anything to sell me and still polished my CDC and brought me water and treats :smile:

As in everything in life go where you are celebrated not tolerated!

Sorry to hear you had such an odd experience with your SA, but I agree with others that unless you specifically ask the SA to put the item on hold for you they won't. Although I would say if you're not feeling comfortable with this one, you can always request a different SA. I went through a period of jumping around until I found my current SA who is amazing, but it did take a few tries for me to find her.

Regardless your new pieces are gorgeous!! I have held off buying a GP for the longest time, but yours makes me want to consider it again. Enjoy both! :smile:

Oh goodness. There's an entire thread devoted to stories like these: Teratment in Hermes Stores

Assuming that an SA would put something on hold for you, while you thought about it... isn't a safe assumption with Hermes. If you want to put an item on hold, you need to ask. Many SAs contact multiple customers, looking for the same item (Hermes or otherwise). Not to mention, that sometimes, even if you ask, you can be told "No".

She didn't sell the Dogon "out from under you", so to speak. Perhaps she sold it to someone else who wanted the same item. Next time, unless you intend to shop around a bit, you can always call ahead to check on an item that you haven't reserved.

As for buying a bag to get back in your SAs good graces... this is fine, as long as the purchase is a purchase that you're content with making. But, if you'd prefer not to work with this SA, it's also fine to seek another. Although, this is easier in some boutiques, than others. Still, in the end, it may be a matter of weighing your interest in a boutique experience / history vs. seeking other options for scoring items on your wishlist.

GL! Enjoy your new bag! :smile:

Without further ado,

Mini Ulysse in Brique

Last edited:
I guess I could deal in semantics--she asked if I wanted the wallet and I said I wanted to see it in person. I didn't specifically say, "hold it for me". She also knew when I was coming...it was a huge trip for me that she knew about.

Anyway, I know I didn't overreact. I know what happened. I was still my normal self, all smiles, and believe me, I would not have bought the GP if I didn't want it because, as I said, I came back from across town hours later. I even mentioned in another thread how kind everyone was in the store. There were other things that happened concerning the wallet, like her trying to show me a Vermillion, and acting like the Rouge G. was never there. So I didn't imagine it. It's all good. I'm happy regardless!

My shopping personality is pretty much like yours...I'm not an impulsive shopper and I know what I want before I go into the store then the item has a duty to jump out and grab me. If it doesn't, its not going home with me.
If something I haven't considered catches my eye, I must think long and hard about it. If it gets sold while I am thinking, thats the price I must pay. There will be others.
I personally dont like the entire Hermes sales process/experience. Its very similar to Louis Vuitton where I always feel there is a fire sale in progress. Rushed and impersonal. I dont find the Herrmes SA's rude, quite the opposite ( they are lovely!!) but I feel rushed/pressured.

When I go into St. John or Chanel,(regardless of what I am buying) I get a glass of champagne (or a Martini), several baked treats/Macarons and an overstuffed chair. I feel comfortable,unrushed and unpressured. (I still dont know why Hermes doesn't do that).

Now, I simply dont go into Hermes unless my SA is working or puts things aside for me.

Enjoy your bag and you will eventually find a great SA your personality works with.
Awesome bag by the way!:love:

Last edited:
Both Ulysse and GP look great! Sorry to hear you felt like you "owe" the SA by not buying it immediately. Just ignore this feeling and enjoy your beautiful purchases! :smile:

Mistikat is correct, it could be something else that was on her mind. We all take things personally when very often it is all to do with the other party. I also agree she had no reason to hold an item if you didn't ask for it to be held.

That said, and not to be cold, but if you didn't like her/ she wasn't warm to you, there are hundreds of H SAs in this world :smile: I would not buy again from someone who made me feel less than cherished. My SA is lovely to me whether I buy or not, and the last SA I interacted with in a strange store didn't HAVE anything to sell me and still polished my CDC and brought me water and treats :smile:

As in everything in life go where you are celebrated not tolerated!

:tup::party::party:

You should enjoy your beautiful bag. Forget the rest and you'll fall in love with the piece in no time.

I think most of us have had disappointments; things disappear from H so quick, it's hard to keep something on hold for more than a day, if that! Maybe it's not the service one hopes for, but the great news is, there's always something beautiful around the corner with Hermès.

You should enjoy your beautiful bag. Forget the rest and you'll fall in love with the piece in no time.

I think most of us have had disappointments; things disappear from H so quick, it's hard to keep something on hold for more than a day, if that! Maybe it's not the service one hopes for, but the great news is, there's always something beautiful around the corner with Hermès.

You're right. All of you are right in a ton of ways. I had a great day and got some nice gifts. I'm not even worried about that SA anymore.

And I can't wait to go back! #Addicted lol