Raw Feeding for Cats and Dogs: My Journey and what I've learned.

If you want health, you gotta fork out a little more. That said, I think that anything that's good enough for me should be good enough for my babies. I don't personally buy organic all that often (though I would if I made more money haha).

My husband and I always say that we are so thankful we have Chihuahuas...not sure if I could afford to feed a Doberman Primal! LOL It is great stuff though:smile::smile:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the BARF diet also includes fruits/veggies/grains or other things besides meat. I had a friend that tried it with her dogs and she said it was literally the barf diet because they puked constantly on it. :biggrin:

I think I am going to try to move to premade raw food for my kitties. The dogs seem to do be doing just fine on the diet but the cats have gotten very skinny, even though I am feeding them 3% of what I would like their weight to be (about eight lbs) instead of what they are (six and seven lbs). I really do enjoy not having super stinky cat poop to clean out the litterbox so I don't want to give it up, but I hate to think I am not giving them the correct amount of everything as well.

Well it's been about 9 months of raw feeding (I think) and all is going well. The only annoying thing is that out cat thinks all meat is his. I'm a veggie so it's not a problem when I cook. But when SO is cooking kitty will try and grab pieces of meat and run off. If SO is thawing meat he will try and grab the whole package or open it. Looks like he REALLY likes meat. Made it easy to transition him, but annoying in the kitchen =)

I think I am going to try to move to premade raw food for my kitties. The dogs seem to do be doing just fine on the diet but the cats have gotten very skinny, even though I am feeding them 3% of what I would like their weight to be (about eight lbs) instead of what they are (six and seven lbs). I really do enjoy not having super stinky cat poop to clean out the litterbox so I don't want to give it up, but I hate to think I am not giving them the correct amount of everything as well.

When making the switch to raw, it's probably better to lessen portions gradually. I learned that the hard way when my cat stopped eating for 3 days. I had to start all over again. Their bodies will adjust to the appropriate amount. 3% of their weight, but again, I go by "mousefuls". I usually give about 2 - 3 mousefuls a day (picture the size of a mouse).

If you look down at your pet's waist, it should be CLEARLY defined. You SHOULDN'T be able to see ribs, but if you pet/touch your cat the ribs should be easily found. We're used to seeing "fat cats", but natural healthy cats are a lean and muscular. Here is a comparison of my kitty before and after raw feeding and the appropriate size she is supposed to be.

15636098348750648031421.jpg

And teeth just for reference:

16320798349010627048914.jpg

Well it's been about 9 months of raw feeding (I think) and all is going well. The only annoying thing is that out cat thinks all meat is his. I'm a veggie so it's not a problem when I cook. But when SO is cooking kitty will try and grab pieces of meat and run off. If SO is thawing meat he will try and grab the whole package or open it. Looks like he REALLY likes meat. Made it easy to transition him, but annoying in the kitchen =)

So good to hear!! Yes, that can be a nuisance. My babies have gotten a lot more vocal at "dinner time" because they don't have that access to the 24/7 kibble buffet. =)

Mine are doing great. My boy has been on it for almost a year now. His health is great. I'm lucky that I have a vet who actually promotes raw feeding too. Our foster (who I'm pretty sure we will keep) has been on raw since we got her. She was the easiest switch ever (took to it right away). It's been helpful since she needs to gain weight, but her appetite is crazy! My vet says to feed her as much as she wants, but it's hard to accept feeding her 2x as much as I'm used to. All in all though I'm very pleased with the raw feeding.

I do need to figure out a better way to mix organs and bones in. I tried bones but they carry them around the house and my boy won't touch organs. Any tips?

Sadly, after a year, we have abandoned the raw diet. It is just too expensive for ten cats and finding organ meats (besides chicken livers) has been a real struggle We are on grain-free canned food now, twice a day--no more kibble buffet, ever again. I still give scraps of raw met when I'm cooking to whoever wants some. And of course our bone-eater, Cosmo, gets the bones!

Nolia, I want to thank you again for your eye-opening article. While I m sad to give up raw feeding for now, I learned so much through your research and the research you inspired me to do, and I have definitely not ruled out raw feeding in the future when our cat population decreases. My Fifi would eat raw meat at the end of her life when she had stopped eating anything else and I am grateful for that.

My dog and cats All eat raw- way less expensive then the kibble crap and better for them
Been a cpl years now:smile: happy dog and cats seen a ton of changes in them and dog has pancreatitis so he can't have any cooked fats at all so raw is perfect

Mine are doing great. My boy has been on it for almost a year now. His health is great. I'm lucky that I have a vet who actually promotes raw feeding too. Our foster (who I'm pretty sure we will keep) has been on raw since we got her. She was the easiest switch ever (took to it right away). It's been helpful since she needs to gain weight, but her appetite is crazy! My vet says to feed her as much as she wants, but it's hard to accept feeding her 2x as much as I'm used to. All in all though I'm very pleased with the raw feeding.

I do need to figure out a better way to mix organs and bones in. I tried bones but they carry them around the house and my boy won't touch organs. Any tips?

You are SO lucky to have found a vet that promotes it. It is near impossible here. =(

Sadly, after a year, we have abandoned the raw diet. It is just too expensive for ten cats and finding organ meats (besides chicken livers) has been a real struggle We are on grain-free canned food now, twice a day--no more kibble buffet, ever again. I still give scraps of raw met when I'm cooking to whoever wants some. And of course our bone-eater, Cosmo, gets the bones!

Nolia, I want to thank you again for your eye-opening article. While I m sad to give up raw feeding for now, I learned so much through your research and the research you inspired me to do, and I have definitely not ruled out raw feeding in the future when our cat population decreases. My Fifi would eat raw meat at the end of her life when she had stopped eating anything else and I am grateful for that.

I really do hope it works out for you guys in the future. What you save in food costs now, could come back in vet bills with old age!! (That's helps me validate the slight cost increase for me). But 10 certainly is a lot. It costs me about $30/per cat per month buying meat at retail prices. Others NOT living in the heart of city are able to source this out a LOT cheaper. So I totally understand!

My dog and cats All eat raw- way less expensive then the kibble crap and better for them
Been a cpl years now:smile: happy dog and cats seen a ton of changes in them and dog has pancreatitis so he can't have any cooked fats at all so raw is perfect

I totally agree with you! I can NEVER EVER go back to kibble for them. Unless it's a post-apocalyptic crisis, never will my babies ever touch that garbage again.

i've been feeding both my dogs raw from when they are puppies. They are now 11 and 8 years respectively and both fit as a fiddle. A raw, or home-made balanced diet is one of the best decisions i've made for my beloved pets.

so last night i was making dinner, chopping up chicken breasts/thighs, when my little bi came by to beg for scraps. i gave her a little and she kept coming back for more and barely touched her dinner (not kibble!). At first I thought she was snubbing her regular chicken dinner but today the moment i stepped into the kitchen, she was at my feet again and I gave her another little snack and she hasn't touched her fav weruva fish meal. I wonder if she is trying to tell me something? she hates cooked chicken but loves raw chicken?