Favorite book(s)

fendifemale said:
"The Coldest Winter Ever" by Sistah Soljah
"The Devil Wears Prada"
"The Cat's Meow" by Melissa de la Cruz

really??? devil wears prada??? i despised that book...the time i spent reading that book? i can never get that back.

it would have been quicker if she had just listed all the designer names she could think of and left it at that, because she didn't do anything literary with it, she just name dropped designers.

sorry, lol, i have a grudge with this book.

Shes come undone by wally lamb
I know this much is true by wally lamb
The poisonwood bible by babara kingslover
The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri
A fine balance

... i cant wait for Wally lamb to come out with a new book already!
i like this thread.. gets me thinking about what books to purchase next since i love reading, esp books recommanded by people. Ladies, u all have great taste!=)

amanda said:
really??? devil wears prada??? i despised that book...the time i spent reading that book? i can never get that back.

it would have been quicker if she had just listed all the designer names she could think of and left it at that, because she didn't do anything literary with it, she just name dropped designers.

sorry, lol, i have a grudge with this book.
Let me correct myself. The most thing I liked about this book is the fact that it shines the light on the lazy execs that get all of the credit when we know their assistants do ALL of the work! (if u didnt like the book CRINGE cuz it just got the green light for a movie):lol: .

PeaceLoveSunshine said:
^^YESS I LOVE SOPHIE KINSELLA!! her books are SO funny!!! something borrowed is a really cute book...i haven't read something blue tho..never really liked darcy or whatever her name was..the snobby friend..

u should give something blue a try, darcy really grows on u in the book. i felt the same way after something borrowed and was really surprised that i liked something blue :biggrin:

I am reading The Devil Wears Prada and I love it...maybe it's cause I hate Anna Wintour and I am so glad that Lauren Weisberger socked it to her the way she did with that book!

Anyway, back on topic, my favorite books are The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Kundera, The Book of Laughter and Forgetting by Kundera, Cathedral by Raymond Carver and The Lovely Bones. I also love Gone with the Wind (hate how racist it is though) and Bridget Jones.

Edited because I forgot to add that I LOVE everything I have ever read by Hemingway. I also love Henry Miller and Anais Nin. It's hard to limit it; there are just so many wonderful books! I also love The HEart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers.

ayla said:
A Widow for a Year by John Irving is definately my favourite book. Some other favourites include -

Fall To Your Knees by Ann-Marie MacDonald

She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb

Infections and Inequalities: The Modern Plagues by Paul Farmer, this is probably one of my favourite ethnographies ever by my personal hero, Paul Farmer.

Lovely Bones by Alice Seabold

Of the "classics", I'd have to say I really like Call of the Wild, White Fang, Black Beauty, Pickwick Papers, Jane Eyre, A Highwind in Jamaica.

Wow, I really need to get reading, all this talk about books just puts me in that mood !

Ayla,

I really liked both of these books! I think I read Lovely Bones too, but I can't remember. :shame:

Did you catch the movie that was made for the widow book? I was diappointed. Kim Basinger played the mother.

Bjara said:
Ayla,

I really liked both of these books! I think I read Lovely Bones too, but I can't remember. :shame:

Did you catch the movie that was made for the widow book? I was diappointed. Kim Basinger played the mother.

I skimmed through the movie, while it wasn't terrible, it could have been better. I always thought Marion was more beautiful, not to say that Kim Basinger is ugly, she just seemed slightly too old, Marion's 39 at the beginning of the book but she looks like she's 29 (but I'm just nit picking!). I did like how they took my favourite part of the book to turn into the movie, I just wish that they had done it better !

Lovely Bones is about the murder of a young girl and the aftermath of that upon her family and friends, hopefully that rings some bells ! It's so well written, and just a really poignant account of what happens when a child dies. I cried buckets while reading it ! :shame:

I love the way Alice Sebold narrates the novel. What an interesting point of view. I have never read anything like it. I love anything by Elizabeth Berg or Kaye Gibbons.

Becca4277 said:
Another vote for "She's Come Undone". I also really enjoyed "The Nanny Diaries" since I am a former nanny. The book was so true to life!!!

Loved nanny diaries. I love all those little trashy novels. I loved right address too. They're great beach reading!

I was going to start a thread on favorite books then figured, hey, there must already be one, so I'm reviving this thread. Here are mine:
Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
Lolita, Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov
As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey
Gravity's Rainbow, Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon
The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler
Cat's Cradle, Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
Black Dahlia by James Ellroy
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Portnoy's Complaint, The Human Stain by Philip Roth
Ulysses by James Joyce
Hamlet, King Lear by Shakespeare
Harry Potter series!
And yes, they're ALL my favorites. I love books.

I love anything by Sophie Kinsella and Belinda Jones. I also recommend 'The Lovely Bones' by Alice Sebold, 'My Sisters Keeper' by Jodi Picoult, 'Backpack' by Emily Barr and 'Brick Lane' by Monica Ali.