Can I fight this in court? Texting and driving? Uh no!

You were going 20+ over the limit, be thankful he didnt give you a speeding ticket, in NJ I believe that would be 4 points on your liscense. I wouldnt fight it. Just pay it and watch your speed next time.

he gave you the texting ticket because he was trying to be nice..he probably knew it didnt have as much merit as the speeding one but he was trying to do a favor. he probably didnt think you would try and get out of it, seeing as he cut you some slack. IMHO i think its rude that you want to try and get out of it when the whole point was to not give you a bigger fine and however many points on your license. trying to get out of the entire think is kind of ridiculous.

sorry if my post came off as harsh, just my honest opinion

I would fight it. I would contact your cell phone carrier and ask if they can give you a detailed record of your texts sent for today. If they can provide it, you can prove you were not texting.

I think it's kind of a wash.... while you should be happy he didn't actually ticket you for speeding, that's still a hefty charge if you really weren't doing anything to your phone but pressing "Ignore".

The chances of him showing up in court are probably slim.

I don't understand why you would want to fight it when you were in the wrong. Just pay the fine.

+1
I would just let my phone ring personally. I'd be too lazy to get my phone from wherever it is and hit ignore.

also he didn't give you a speeding ticket when you were going way over. be thankful i guess?

Last edited:
I would fight it. I would contact your cell phone carrier and ask if they can give you a detailed record of your texts sent for today. If they can provide it, you can prove you were not texting.

This^^

Get your detailed phone record and show that no texts were sent nor received at the time of the ticket.

And slow down. :smile:

This^^

Get your detailed phone record and show that no texts were sent nor received at the time of the ticket.

And slow down. :smile:

Yeah, I don't think that would hold up. She could've started writing a text, scrapping it at the end (when she saw a cop). It's still texting, even though no text msg was actually sent. Not that this is what she was doing, but it's easy to make that argument.

Consider this a costly lesson learned.

i agree. i got a ticket a few months back for going 53 in a 40 zone. and i wasn't texting or using a phone at all. everyone else was going 50-55 but i guess i was singled out. i later learned that that area is known as a speed trap. but what was i going to do--i was going over the speed limit. i just paid it. if you were going more than 20 mph over the speedlimit plus doing anything on a cell i think you should just pay the fine and consider it a lesson learned.

BTW........

Radar detectors DO NOT WORK on most police radar devices FYI contrary to popular belief and sales pitches.

Also, the newest thing in law enforcement is LIDAR......it is laser beam speed detection.........virtually 100% undetectable......sorry folks ;)

Just pay the fine, you are lucky you were not cited for speeding, you could have crashed at 70+ MPH while you were hitting "ignore" on your phoneand that is worse than any ticket fine IMO.

Even if you get a record that you did not text when you were stopped, you will not win in court, I guarantee it.

Last edited: