Zendaya Coleman

Sasha2012

Jul 28, 2012
Zendaya Coleman to Play Aaliyah in Lifetime Biopic

2ccxx21.jpg

Lifetime is loading up on R&B biopics. Shortly after getting the gears in motion for a telepic based on the life of the late Whitney Houston, the cable network has announced plans for a project on the short-lived career of '90s phenom Aaliyah.

Stepping into the singer's shoes is Disney Channel fixture Zendaya Coleman. The star of series Shake It Up! recently gained widespread recognition with a stint on Dancing With the Stars.

Aaliyah, who topped the charts from 1994 to her death at just 22 years old in 2001, has yet to get a biopic treatment. This film, tentatively titled Aaliyah: Princess of R&B, will be based off of Christopher Farley's bestselling biography Aaliyah: More Than a Woman.
Coleman brings more than just acting chops to the role. She is also a singer and released a self-titled debut in 2013 -- the first single selling more than 1 million copies.

The film is being produced by Aaliyah Productions, Inc., with Howard Braunstein (The Informant!) and Debra Martin Chase (The Princess Diaries) serving as executive producers. Bradley Walsh (Turn the Beat Around) will direct from a script written by Michael Elliot (Brown Sugar).

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/zendaya-coleman-play-aaliyah-lifetime-712231

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/17/showbiz/tv/aaliyah-movie-zendaya-coleman/

Aaliyah movie casts Disney's Zendaya

(CNN) -- One of the Disney stars is set to play the late singer Aaliyah in an upcoming television movie.

Variety reports that Zendaya has been cast as the singer in a Lifetime movie to be based on the book "Aaliyah: More Than a Woman" by former Time magazine music editor Christopher Farley. The singer, born Aaliyah Dana Haughton, died in a 2001 plane crash in the Bahamas, along with the pilot and members of her video crew. She was 22.

Zendaya, who like the late singer also performs using just her first name, is well-known for co-starring on the Disney Network series "Shake it Up!" and appeared as a contestant on "Dancing With the Stars" in 2013.

The 17-year old, who will reportedly record four songs for the project, tweeted her excitement.

"She's been an inspiration and influence in my whole career, her talent still shines brighter (than) ever, all I wanna do is honor her," the Disney star tweeted about being cast. "Show how much she accomplished in only 22 years....she's beautiful inside and there will never be another Aaliyah, I just hope to share her beautiful story, and make her proud up in heaven #babygirl #forever #OneInAMillion."

Aaliyah was known to friends and fans as "Baby Girl." "One in a Million" was one of her hit songs.

Not everyone appears thrilled with the casting of the teenager, whose full name is Zendaya Coleman.

One fan tweeted, "I'm a huge Aaliyah fan. I do NOT want Zendaya Coleman playing Aaliyah in a upcoming movie," while another said, "Zendaya doesn't even resemble aaliyah what is this foolishness."

TheYBF.com spoke with the film's casting director, Twinkie Byrd, about some of the fans' complaints, including a concern that a biracial actress should not be playing the African-American singer. According to her bio on IMDB.com Coleman's father is African-American, and her mother is of German, Irish and English ancestry.

"Zendaya embodies everything you want in a actress to play Aaliyah," the site quotes him as saying. "She is a poised, professional, strong actress (studied at California Shakespeare Theater and American Conservatory Theater). A triple threat actor, singer dancer. She loves Aaliyah and will do a wonderful job! She is of mixed ethnicity. Her name is Bantu (Zimbabwe) meaning 'To Give Thanks.' Let's not hate on it but congratulate! She is a great choice!"

http://www.justjaredjr.com/2014/06/17/zendaya-reacts-to-aaliyah-biopic-casting/

Now Zendaya is just showing off…

The 17-year-old actress turned heads outside her hotel making the sidewalk her runway on Tuesday morning (June 17) in New York City.

Zendaya is making her rounds, promoting her new Disney Channel movie, Zapped, which premieres next Friday on the network.

“She’s been an inspiration and influence in my whole career, her talent still shines brighter then ever, all I wanna do is honor her,” Zendaya tweeted after news of her joining the Aaliyah biopic hit the web yesterday afternoon.

She added, “Show how much she accomplished in only 22 years….she’s beautiful inside and there will never be another Aaliyah, I just hope to share her beautiful story, and make her proud up in heaven #babygirl #forever #OneInAMillion. I’m just a 17 year old girl who got cast to play one of her biggest inspirations #positive.”

Attachments

• zendaya-reacts-to-aaliyah-casting-01.jpg
    zendaya-reacts-to-aaliyah-casting-01.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 1,376
  • zendaya-reacts-to-aaliyah-casting-03.jpg
    zendaya-reacts-to-aaliyah-casting-03.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 3,535
  • zendaya-reacts-to-aaliyah-casting-05.jpg
    zendaya-reacts-to-aaliyah-casting-05.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 1,357
She doesn't look like dance comes natural to her...kind of stiff as if every move was counted/calculated in that video. She has to get those Aaliyah hip gyrations/belly rolls and slickness in her moves down. I'm rooting for her to pull it off because the internets will come for her if not.

She doesn't look like dance comes natural to her...kind of stiff as if every move was counted/calculated in that video. She has to get those Aaliyah hip gyrations/belly rolls and slickness in her moves down. I'm rooting for her to pull it off because the internets will come for her if not.

she is being set up for failure i hope she doesnt fail
because these people lived their lives in the camera's so much its so hard to do a biopic of them we the public are so familiar with their mannerisms their talk their walk their story their lives are all played out in front of the camera. Its not like the prior to the early 80's and decades before when cameras werent in everyones faces and when people really lived secret lives. Biopic movies are just to easy to scrutinize they are scrutinized before they even begin filming
No she doesn't look like Aaliyah or dance like her or sing like her, no one will I'm assuming they are just wanting someone to get the point of her persona across so that they are able to tell her story

Aaliyah Family Vows To Torpedo Biopic

6/18/2014 1:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

EXCLUSIVE
0617-aaliyah-getty-4.jpg
Aaliyah's family is on the attack against "Lifetime" ... vowing to stop production on her biopic.

Lifetime plans to start filming this summer ... chronicling the R&B singer's life and tragic death. 17-year-old Disney actress Zendaya has been cast as Aaliyah -- who died in 2001 in a plane crash.

Aaliyah's uncle and former manager, Barry Hankerson, tells us the family is pissed that no one from the network contacted them about the movie.

Hankerson says the family will block any attempt on Lifetime's part to use any of Aaliyah's music. He says the family has hired a lawyer and will do everything they can to block release of the flick.

The family is not opposed to a big, theatrical film, but thinks a TV movie is too small for someone as big as Aaliyah.

We called Lifetime ... so far no response.

0617-zendaya-swipe-tmz-4.jpg

Read more: http://www.tmz.com#ixzz3505R0wUt

Barry is the same uncle who introduced Aaliyah to R.Kelly when she was 12, he was both of their managers and protected Kelly until they had a falling out around 2000. Rumor is he is the one who leaked R.Kelly's sex tape with the minor. Last I heard he had a falling out and doesn't speak with Aaliyah's mom so I don't know how he is speaking on the family's behalf, he is just upset because he has been planning a movie to profit off of Aaliyah as well. But I don't see this going well with her mother and brother they've very private and protective over her image.

Last edited:
http://www.justjaredjr.com/2014/06/...t-to-show-young-people-what-she-accomplished/

Zendaya on Aaliyah Biopic: 'I Want To Show Young People What She Accomplished'

Zendaya is front and center of some controversy surrounding the Aaliyah biopic that was announced earlier this week.

“I want it to be perfect for her and show young people what she was able to do and what she accomplished [to] people who may not know her,” the 17-year-old actress/singer shared in a new interview with Associated Press.

Zendaya continued, “I can’t please everybody, can’t make everyone happy. But what I can do is work really hard and just continue to show her legacy. That’s all I’m focused on is really, really portraying her in the best light possible. That’s all it’s about.”

Aaliyah: Princess of R&B will film this coming summer and premiere in the fall on Lifetime.

Barry is the same uncle who introduced Aaliyah to R.Kelly when she was 12, he was both of their managers and protected Kelly until they had a falling out around 2000. Rumor is he is the one who leaked R.Kelly's sex tape with the minor. Last I heard he had a falling out and doesn't speak with Aaliyah's mom so I don't know how he is speaking on the family's behalf, he is just upset because he has been planning a movie to profit off of Aaliyah as well. But I don't see this going well with her mother and brother they've very private and protective over her image.

Thank You!
I am willing to give it a chance.
I was pleasantly surprised by Lil Mama playing left eye so why not Zendaya?
Same situation going withthe biopic of Nina Simone which I can't wait to see.

I'm willing to give her a shot. Angela Bassett didn't look like Tina Turner but she did that role justice in "What's Love Got to Do with It." Zendaya has a similar physique to Aaliyah, so maybe she can pull it off. We shall see.

....a big biopic? Aaliyah was good but not that good.
seriously my same sentiments
I don't think Whitney needs a biopic either
We all know these peoples stories, with Tina Turner yes we knew some of her story but that was also the 60's 70's, early 80s when the media wasnt so in your face so alot of things were hidden so when we watched the movie alot of people saw things re-enacted that they never knew happened. True there are some things we may never really know about the R.Kelly relationship but do you honestly think they are going to divulge that in the movie? No they still wont, the TLC movie didnt really tell us anything new either and it was sort of biased because it was strictly from TLC side. It's really hard now days to do a biopic on a celeb now days

seriously my same sentiments
I don't think Whitney needs a biopic either
We all know these peoples stories, with Tina Turner yes we knew some of her story but that was also the 60's 70's, early 80s when the media wasnt so in your face so alot of things were hidden so when we watched the movie alot of people saw things re-enacted that they never knew happened. True there are some things we may never really know about the R.Kelly relationship but do you honestly think they are going to divulge that in the movie? No they still wont, the TLC movie didnt really tell us anything new either and it was sort of biased because it was strictly from TLC side. It's really hard now days to do a biopic on a celeb now days

Meh, the way I look at it. They are just people and if their life story is compelling, I am in.
I knew about Tina from when she lived in France however I was unaware of her childhood in the South so I enjoy learning about that part of her life plus if the movie helped one woman run from an abusive relationship, it is all good.
Whitney could be about life long addiction and its legacy
Aaliyah's film could be about relationship between molesters and their victims.
Isn't she the chick going around with the guy from dancing with the stars?
So yeah, she got a little something in common with A