Your thoughts on people with fakes?

I have mixed feelings about it as well and I believe that different people have different reasons for sporting the fake LV's.

There is a girl on my bus every morning who carries an extremely fake black MC speedy. She does not dress well and clearly doesn't appear to invest a lot of time/money into style or fashion. I figure that she probably doesn't know any better and just bought it because she thought it was cute and saw other people carrying similar fakes. I don't think she was trying to fool anyone or come across as someone shes not. I do feel kinda sick to my stomach everytime I look at her bag, and probably have weird looks on my face everytime I eye it up.

There truly isn't a good substitute for an authentic black speedy. They are breathtaking IRL!!!

As much as I love a real bag, I can't really knock anyone for having a fake one. I personally wouldn't wear it, but I know a lot of people who have them. That's their perogative and I'm not going to get on my pedastal and try to preach to them. Most people on the forum will tell you that a fake bag doesn't have the quality a real bag does. In general terms no it doesn't. However, believe it or not folks, a fake bag isn't going to fall apart on instant. I know people who have had their fake bags for years.

Please keep in mind that not all people know they have fakes.

I'm a huge ebay fan and love to know that I've purchased something I love for less. I admit it. I'm an addict (especially for jewelry).lol I purchased an MJ bag right before I found this site. I paid about $500 for it and was so happy. I even checked with Nordstroms and they said it was real. Later, I found this site and posted pictures. It was horrible to find out that I was carrying a fake. So, the moral of the story is that some of those people really don't know it's fake. How could they? In many cities like Columbus, you can't buy a designer bag so how would anyone know what the real deal looks like?

I don't judge people for carrying counterfeit bags.. It does not reflect their personality, nor does it affect anything in my life. Although, I know women who look down on me for buying high end bags.

Overall, I have a problem with people pretending to be someone or something they are not. That's the only excuse for fakes because you can find designer inspired bags in any department store. There is no need to go so far as to break copyright laws and put the designer's name on a bag that isn't theirs.

But a lot of people are really ignorant. A friend of mine is sure she bought a real Coach bag, even though she crawled into the back of a van on Canal Street. That kind of mentality is just beyond me. I think people are just so full of wishful thinking that they convince themselves that the impossible is true.

I have mixed feelings as well and agree with all of your posts.

Because I don't make a lot of money and I do own LV bag and Botkier, I am sure the wealthy feel sorry for me also because the rest of my wardrobe does not match the quality of the bag that I carry.

The same the other way around. With respect to the fakes, they are just trying to have what they really want and you can't blame them for that. Also, I don't have respect to people who do have fakes and act like it is not.

Maybe they will discover this forum and we can help them and suppport them, to save, hopefully find a better paying job so they can get what they deserve - an authentic bag.

"Back in the '80's" one of my friends carried LV EVERYTHING - bought at Sacks because it was before we had an LV Boutique. Real LV was all she had untill she had a "spell" in the 1990's and bought one of everything (Gucci, MC, Dior) If it had initials she bought it.

ANYWAY During her LV exclusive days. She intentionally bought an LV knock-off to carry when she felt uneasy about carrying her real one.

I cannot stand people who buy fakes & try to pass off as real. A very wealthy lady here does that & because of who she is she actually gets away with it :wtf:
People say to me "Have you seen ***** latest bag?" I just smile sweetly & say "Eh no, I haven't" :roflmfao:
I would so rather carry a bin liner than a fake!

You can in Polaris Mall. :yes:

Thanks Foxmonkey. I forgot about Saks. I shop Nordstroms all the time but I never go in Saks and forget it's even there. I'll try it.

Back to the fakes.... I never buy LV (even though I love it) because there are sooooooo many fakes out there that I would feel like people would think mine is fake. Does anyone else feel that way?

To each their own. Not everyone is as fortunate as I am to be able to drop crazy amts. of money on a bag. That being said I work hard to be able to afford them. At the same time that doesn't give me the right to judge people who can't afford the real things for whatever reason.

But I also know extremely rich ladies who like to hold onto their money and buy super fakes. They don't want anyone to know the bag is fake but them. They are the kind that can fool even a LV SA, which I HAVE seen happen with my own eyes numerous times. The fact that they can afford the real thing makes them feel like it's okay to be cheap. I don't think that's okay at all.

I have heard about this too and it aggravates me. Apparently some of the lady customers at my work are guilty of this. I also know quite a few children (ages 5-9) that own nicer handbags than I do. Which makes me think, what are mothers thinking when they buy their 7 yr old a LV?

I want to keel over when I see fakes. My philosophy is if you can't afford it, don't buy it. I would rather work hard for my money and save it to buy a designer bag, than buy a fake. I also do not support child labor and to me it seems that if you buy a fake, you are supporting that crime. I want to wear my bag(s) proudly and be able to feel happy about my purchase(s).

I think sometimes people look at me like I am a snot when I sport a designer bag. I love the bags I own and I have purchased them because I like them, not because of the "brand" or that I want to be part of the trend.

(end rant)

PS This thread reminds me of the Ugly Betty episode that recently aired with the Gucci(?) bag. I thought that scenario was pretty funny.